Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#697770 06/25/11 06:17 AM
Linda19 Offline OP
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Help!

I have stopped eating meat and so far I have lost 9lbs in weight without even trying. I am not dieting, just not eating meat. My calorie intake from meat must have been quite high for me to lose this much weight.

I need some ideas for supplementing my protein intake. I have bought a Hemp Protein Powder with the full range of amino acids, but I need food too!

Any ideas gratefully received.

Linda Heywood

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Linda19 #697851 06/25/11 01:40 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Linda, I was thinking about this this morning after posting about your article on not eating meat, and I received a link to a website site - Real Age - and it was talking about supplement with beans. And that people who eat meat gain wait each year - and that people who eat beans don't LOL!

It was very interesting!

I'm trying to think about how I want to do this!

I hope some suggestions come rolling in, cuz I'd love to know.

I've known vegetarians who had to go back to being meat eaters because they were so sickly frown

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I've been veggie for 30 years. As to protein I eat a lot of pulses and confess to a love of cheese - where possible I stick to goats cheese which I find easier to digest. I tend to use soya milk for tea but find myself needing to use cows milk for coffee - soya tends to curdle and doesn't taste right. There are many more "meat substitute" products on the market than there were when I first became veggie. I tend to keep dried and/or frozen soya mince/chunks - useful for stews, veggie shepherds pie etc. My grandmother turned vegan shortly before I became vegetarian; she ate lots of pulses and nuts and when her diet was analysed it was established that the only thing she was short of was zinc.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

Linda19 #709216 08/21/11 08:44 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Get many of my 'Veggie' ideas from here Linda, it has an amazing selection, some that are really 'different', as well as tips and guidance for 'New Vegetarians':

Vegetarian Recipes and Menus Good Food Channel

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Hi Francine,

Love this topic because I have been considering the thought of not eating meat since my friend Linda posted about not eating meat. I love the different recipes that you guys have posted here at least they look good. I'm still considering! Thanks for posting!

Tuculia Washington, Daughters Editor
Daughters Website
Daughters Forum

Live, Laugh and Love
�Making a difference in the world one person at a time�
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Great link Francine and good topics - including when I looked:
How to switch to vegetarian
Veg for a fiver
Flavour boosters
Star proteins for a veggie diet.

The recipes I looked at all rated themselves as "Easy" and I also noticed several (for instance Spanish Style Stew with Vegetarian Black Pudding) that seem to be aimed at people who are used to meet that might be looking for suitable veggie alternatives.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

F
F
No doubt about the food impact on weight loss,There are two major things effecting major one is food and other exercise.I do agree with the comments that escaping the red meat will help in shedding fats.nice discussion and help here.Thanks.

Linda19 #718028 10/04/11 10:59 PM
Shark
Shark
Originally Posted By: Linda - Islam
Help!

I have stopped eating meat and so far I have lost 9lbs in weight without even trying. I am not dieting, just not eating meat. My calorie intake from meat must have been quite high for me to lose this much weight.

I need some ideas for supplementing my protein intake. I have bought a Hemp Protein Powder with the full range of amino acids, but I need food too!

Any ideas gratefully received.

Hi Linda! Hey Everybody!

Great discussion!

There are a few things you want to look at re: getting rid of meat and weight loss. Although, from a caloric perspective, you may be taking in less [not always the case], you'll find that there's the matter of a shift in your pH.

The fat generated in our bodies serve many different functions. We all know of the nutrient/energy storage for possible times of famine; we may know about the insulation against cold, but one that isn't discussed as prolifically is the insulation fat provides from acid.

When we have too much acid in our system our body produces fat as an insulator, and 'sponge' of sorts, to protect tissues and structures from damage. When we remove items that contribute to the over-acidification of our organs and tissues, we lose the need for that barrier.

The end result can show up as weight loss.

This also is the reason why, although we may be vegetarian, we may still put on weight and/or have loads of trouble losing it. If the diet's acid producing, the body's defense will be to produce mucus and fat.

Re: protein sources

There are many things we can eat to make up our protein requirements. Key things you want to look at are your variety, balance of flavors, colors, age and levels of processing.

Variety: With a larger selection you add to your diet the amino acids it needs to create the building blocks to build the best quality tissues and infrastructure for your body's metabolic functions. As a general rule, it's great to have a good mixture of colors, flavors and textures at every meal.

Soaked raw almonds are a great source of amino acids and are alkalizing to your system, which translates to no 'acid induced' fat production, along with a satisfied appetite or satiety.

Add raw sprouts to your food plan, as they are both alkalizing and packed full of enzymes and nutrients. [They also help the body digest foods and are very cleansing and healing.]

Mushrooms are a great source of not only proteins, but also complex sugars the body uses to build healthy systems.

Seaweed is loaded with vitamins, macro and micro minerals and enzymes. They're a great supplement for a healthy vegetarian lifestyle.

Hope this is helpful info!

I've got exciting news [well, at least for me, that is...] wink
I've started a new series on vegetarianism and I think you're going to love it!

I'll be starting, pretty much, from the beginning and laying the foundation for you to set up either a vegetarian lifestyle or the principles on which to base your best lifestyle and health choices through your diet.

I'll start a new post for that and I'll need you to chime in frequently, so I'm consistently tracking with what you need out of the series. I want to keep it relevant for you! smile

Linda19 #718124 10/05/11 11:21 AM
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Thanks Jason and everyone who responded to my plea for help. I have managed to find a nice balance now so I am no longer losing or gaining weight.

I did as Deanne suggested and add more pulses and beans to my diet. I found hemp seeds which taste lovely and I use in nearly everything I eat. I looked at the Good Food channel and found things I liked to eat so we are trying new dishes, and Asha, yes I use goats milk in my tea but still like a little cows milk on my porridge. Goats milk does have a tendency to smell like a barn yard lol. I use the soft goats cheese.

I have tried tofu and soya mince but I dont like the texture. I am not so bothered about flavour as texture, food has to FEEL right in my mouth.

Looking forward to your new series on Vegetarianism, I am sure I am going to learn from you as we go along Jason.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Linda Heywood

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.