Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I'm not 100% convinced that orbiting cameras can read number plates in a car park or that they could in the 80s. Does this qualify as an urban legend - or maybe just propaganda. Besides the resolution required to see number plates, where do these people put their number plates - on the roof?

I suspect that the abilities of spy satellites have been exaggerated for various reasons. One of which is to take our minds off other forms of aerial reconnaisance which, being closer, are going to get better resolution.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Frank, that is a great story. Thank you for giving me a really good laugh. Journalists can be very inventive, can't they? (Putting it nicely)

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Quote:
I'm not 100% convinced that orbiting cameras can read number plates in a car park or that they could in the 80s. Does this qualify as an urban legend - or maybe just propaganda. Besides the resolution required to see number plates, where do these people put their number plates - on the roof?

This was back in the '80's when a good deal of what the general public today would call ordinary technology ie: cameras that are practically the size of a pin head, computer programs that could 'mosaic' clear bits of photographs through atmospheric distortion, digital photography eliminating film 'grain', Were still on the secret list. Anything under 60 degrees declination can get you a pretty good picture of the number plate.

Because of this 'high tech' human gathered information was considered a bit old fashioned and many intelligence agents were let go. By the time it was discovered how easy technology was to fool most had set up in independent bureaus and the governments had to hire them back at 2-3 times their old pay rate with better contracts!

Nowadays what used to be done with orbiters is now done with saucer-shaped balloons at 60'000 foot. Less camera distortion, less cost, easier to retrieve, and they can be moved to a new location a lot quicker than altering orbits.

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
A Witch friend sent me this on current near-space tech

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Thanks, Ian. Some interesting material there.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Sorry to be a kill joy, and I never subscribe to conspiracies usually. But there is so much evidence prooving that it was a hoax, I don't see how anyone could say it wasn't. I've never seen a list of why all these things which shouldn't have been happening - were happening from NASA. Or anyone else.

If someone could enlighten me by providing evidence of why the flag was blowing in a breeze etc. etc. etc. - I'm completley open minded. At this moment though, I think it was a hoax just so the US could say they beat Russia.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
"Whatever you do, don't - fall - asleep!"
Shark
Shark
LOL Frank -- I used to love that "newspaper". I always thought writing for them would be the perfect job. All through college, I had a center spread hung up on my wall -- Atlantis Found in Lake Erie! Growing up in NY, I was thrilled to have lived so close to such a legendary city all my life without knowing it ;-)

Debra Kelly
BellaOnline:Dogs

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's."
- Mark Twain, Letter to W D Howells, 4/2/1899
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Steve, thanks for your posting. I will come back on this, but am pushed for time now. But can I leave you with two questions to consider meantime ....

(1) It was the height of the Cold War. What were the Russians doing when the Americans were claiming to have put men on the Moon? Not just once, but six times? No monitoring, no space experts, no spies?

(2) The flag is easy. Quite right, there couldn't be any breeze, so the flag couldn't be blowing in it. But it did move for a bit. This tells us that

either

there is a reasonable explanation for the movement -- yep, see end of posting-

OR

that we're considering a load of folk clever (& dangerous) enough to shut up a whole heck of a lot of people and fool the world - including the Soviets - about going to the Moon, but didn't have the good sense to do a retake if a breeze caught the flag.

(BTW if it were a sound stage, where did the breeze even come from?)

As it happens, the American program The Mythbusters shows how a flag can wave briefly in a vacuum. (I've been camping and wrestled with tent poles, can really picture it.) Mythbusters Moon Hoax Flag Flapping

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Mythbusters should be re-named to "we don't believe in anything paranormal" IMO LOL. Some of them can be SO rude to people, that Chinese woman never believes in anything. I thiunk if a ghost slapped her in the face she'd say she'd imagined it LOL.

Yeah, but there's SO much stuff about the moon landing footage which is wrong. I'm not saying it is fake - but I would never say it was real either.

I believe that out of the entire world. The US and UK giovernments are the most dangerous, annoyingly because we keep following the lead of the US - like with this ongoing war. Which everyone knew we'd get as soon as Bush got "voted" in. I think they're very dangerous.

For example, how come with all of the USA's info they couldn't stop two planes on 9/11? No-one can say this did happen, and no-one can say it didn't. But I can say that the Government are very powerful and very dangerous and do not care a jot about you or me.

I got a quote back at you from Russia about the moon landings - just for fun. I'm trying to point out none of us know for sure either way. "the Soviets did not have the capability to track deep spacecraft until late in 1972, immediately after which, the last three Apollo missions were suddenly canceled."

President Kennedy's 1961 promise of "achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the Moon and returning him safely to the Earth" put huge pressure on NASA. With all the known and unknown hazards, NASA would not have risked the public humiliation of astronauts crashing to their deaths on the lunar surface, broadcast on live TV.

The "landings" also helped the US government because they were a popular distraction from the Vietnam War; and so manned landings suddenly ended about the same time that the US ended its role in the Vietnam War.

There's SO much you could say for why the US Government would have faked the landings. It's not like JFK was an upstanding citizen who never told lies - the whole family was riddled with them.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
"Whatever you do, don't - fall - asleep!"
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Steven, I'm having some trouble here working out what your points are exactly.

(1) Are you saying the Mythbusters demo was faked? Because it's just what I'd expect in the absence of air resistance. So someone says it's a flag in the breeze? That doesn't mean it makes sense.

(2) But you say that �there's SO much stuff about the moon landing footage which is wrong� without even giving examples, so can't comment. Though evidence, rather than assertion, would be even better. wink

(3) Your quote "the Soviets did not have the capability to track deep spacecraft until late in 1972,� is meaningless unless we know who said it and how knowledgeable (s)he is.

But I searched and found it was attributed to Bart Sibrel. I further searched and found that he is a taxi driver, an amateur film-maker, got arrested for an altercation over a parking space and provoked Buzz Aldrin enough to get thumped. I won't comment on any of this � just found it on the Internet � but didn't find anything that suggested that he had any expertise about the Soviet Space Program.

Anatoly Zak, who is an expert on the Soviet Space Program, says the Soviets were trying to put a man on the Moon. And we know that they launched at least a few dozen probes up to July 1969 - did they really send all this stuff off without being able to track any of it? (source: Russian Space Web)

(4) I agree that politicians lie. I daresay JFK wasn't an exception, though in mitigation, I will say that he'd been dead for nearly five years before Apollo 11 landed. BTW Whether or not Moon landings helped the US Govt, doesn't tell us anything about whether they happened or not.

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 09/19/11 05:47 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.