Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Homework can be a difficult topic for many parents. How much should you help your son? Is his homework appropriate for his age? When should you talk to the teacher? This article will help you dissect this issue and answer these questions!

How Much Homework Help to Give Your Son

Laura Delgado, Ph.D.
Sons Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Amoeba
Amoeba
L
Hesitant to say this but sometimes it is really because the teacher assumes every student in class learns at the same pace. While it is difficult to tailor homework to a students' abilities, it goes a long way in helping them. Here in Singapore, most times, schools place students in classes depending on their results at the end of the school year. The cons about this is that sometimes more challenging homework is given to those in the higher ability classes but not made accessible to others. I feel this is not right as at the end of the day, these students sit for the same exams!

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
You are absolutely right. There are widely varying differences differences between students' abilities in a given class. It's a real challenge for teachers, but I think it is one they need to address. I was a beneficiary of ability grouping (placing students in classes according to their abilities), but our system in the U.S. is not the same as yours. Ability grouping is a contentious subject in itself. I think I'll write about that soon! Thank you :-)

Laura Delgado, Ph.D.
Sons Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
In fact, I wrote about it today! Thanks for the idea!

Ability Grouping in School

Laura Delgado, Ph.D.
Sons Editor
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
I find that I will help one of my son's more than the other - not because he is struggling, but - because - I know he knows how to do the work and I know he knows how to find the answer. On the few occasions when he's had "enough" - I've helped him. (It's terrible, I know) wink

Typically, I will sit and be a presence but I will not give answers. I will try to help with concepts and occasionally will tell one of them to take another look at an answer.

Laura - I really liked your article on Ability Grouping. I'm back and forth on the topic, but I appreciated the research findings you provided. Well written - thanks.

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Thanks, Lisa :-)

Laura Delgado, Ph.D.
Sons Editor

Moderated by  Laura - Sons 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.