logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Still altering here, thinking Zen thoughts!

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Knitting Guild of Santa Cruz
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Sponsored Post Advertisement
F
Amoeba
Amoeba
F
Knitting is relaxing until I make a mistake!!

I found knitting on par with meditation and yoga. But much more convenient:) I knit socks all the time, I can take the little ball with my number one needles, tuck them into my purse and pull them out any time. When I am waiting for a meeting, or even in meeting like our city councils' meetings:) While I knit I am calm and hardly anything gets me upset.

NOTE: New users are not allowed to add links/urls nor images of any kind to their posts or signature!

Last edited by Sadhana - Indian Food; 02/12/13 04:26 PM.
J
Koala
Koala
J
I've been back to knitting a while now and have decided that I'm going to be Zen about my mistakes and not get stressed. I knit because I like to knit so if I have to take something all apart and start over, I just do it. I'm not on a time table for finishing my projects so I refuse to get stressed anymore.

Thanks for the video on socks! I've often wanted to try those and just never did because I thought it would be too difficult.

J
Koala
Koala
J
I've enjoyed the conversation about knitting and stress and I just added a blog post to my blog about it. I'd love for anyone who wants to to come over and read it and add a comment.

Does Knitting Relieve Stress? Or Cause it?

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Joanj, in Native American beadwork there is always a misplaced bead or set of them. Sometime they will "jump" out at you and other times it might take an afternoon to find the one. They are called by some the "Spirit Beads" and I was taught this is to remind us that nothing is perfect.

I borrowed the term for my knitting. Sometimes I'll have a "Spirit Stitch" and other times I might have a "Spirit" Row or two. The first complicated pattern I tried had a "Spirit Section!"

I haven't advanced to projects like sweaters and socks. When I do my "Spirit Stitches" may become more problematic smile

Last edited by Jane - Native American; 09/28/11 11:22 AM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
J
Koala
Koala
J
That's a wonderful sentiment, Jane! I've read that the Amish often put an intentional mistake (if that's what you could call it) because only God is perfect.

For years, Beadwork was my hobby of choice and I loved freeform peyote stitch especially. Sometimes making a mistake would lead me in an entirely new direction with the piece I was working on. Then again, I picked out many a project to get back to a mistake too-lol

I cannot even imaging the level of stress I would carry with me had not taken up knitting again. I used to knit as a kid and picked up up again several years ago. I just love knitting socks, goes fast, you see a finished product in now time. Just have to make the move to sweaters now. I take my sock knitting with me to meetings, discussion groups, etc. I found knitting extremely relaxing.

NOTE: New users are not allowed to add links/urls nor images of any kind to their posts or signature!

Last edited by Sadhana - Indian Food; 02/12/13 04:26 PM.
S
S
I am a firm bleiver in it reducing stress, although it can be painful when you first learn

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I found that this holiday season, once I decided the holiday gift sweater I was knitting would NOT be done in time for Christmas morning, my stress reduced drastically!

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Knitting Guild of Santa Cruz
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.