logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Interesting to note not one word on probably the most significant environmental current event and disaster to come upon this planet ever!

Is not anyone having any concerns?

Anyone live in or near Japan?

How is your milk doing anyway?

Arrow Durfee
Stomach Issues
Stomach Issues Forum

"and in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make" John Lennon

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Japan is an island, thus no countries next door to 'ramp up' the story. Thanks to the dumbing down of most news the effects of radioactivity on the plankton and other sea life- particularly as it moves up the food chain - is not covered. That the Japanese are very isolationist as a culture also plays a part in the lack of info coming out of official sources.

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
You can find all articles on the tsunami/earthquake in Japan at:

Japan Earthquake and Tsunami

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
I have been following this story intently.

One needs to go to youtube and search Christopher Busby

this is much worse than we are being told..
and many many will die from this

Arrow Durfee
Stomach Issues
Stomach Issues Forum

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Here is a brirf film worth watching

What The Experts Are Saying About Fukashima

Last edited by Arrow - Stomach Issues; 04/15/11 02:52 PM.

Arrow Durfee
Stomach Issues
Stomach Issues Forum

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
A little update on the Fukushima situation:

Radioactive "fallout" from Fukushima

Scary!!

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
S
S
I live in Japan North of Sendai.

Sherrie Knoller
Military Families Editor
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
Many people I know remain concerned for people in Japan who were affected by the events of last March, and continue to pay attention to the situation. Of course families are always most concerned about the effects on their children and future generations.

I heard a news story last month that the company operating the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant built a huge tent to cover one of the most damaged reactors.

There is also a current story from Associated Press: Quake risk to reactors greater than thought about safety evaluations of American nuclear power plants since the terrible earthquake and tsunami in Japan.

The Union of Concerned Scientists wrote:
Quote:
It may be years before the consequences of the crisis are fully understood. UCS continues to follow events in Japan and will provide information and analysis on significant developments as they occur, while we shift our focus to using lessons learned from Fukushima to improve nuclear power safety at existing and future reactors.

Meanwhile, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission staff is seeking public comments on a draft letter that would require U.S. nuclear power plants to re-examine their sites� seismic risk and provide that information to the NRC.

They are still looking into what happened at a Virginia nuclear power plant when the August earthquake on the east coast caused it to switch off. The earthquake moved a bunch of steel containers storing highly radioactive used nuclear-fuel rods 3 or 4 inches out of position on their concrete storage pads.
Quote:
"We have seen no significant damage from our inspections so far," Daniel G. Stoddard, Dominion Virginia Power's senior vice president for nuclear operations, said Friday. "The plant is safe."
Though the power company has not completed its analysis of the event, the earthquake apparently produced combinations of shaking forces larger than the plant was initially designed for, Stoddard said Friday.

So, I'd say many important people as well as everyday people in your community remain concerned about Japan's nuclear disaster.

Best wishes,

Pam W
SE of Seattle

Pamela Wilson - Children with Special Needs Editor
Visit the Children with Special Needs Website
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Hi Sherrie, In which ways is the Fukushima Dai-ichi disaster affecting your family and your life? If at all.

Ask as I was in Berlin with a newborn when the Chernobyl disaster happened, and with the nuclear cloud passing right over us we had so many restrictions in place. Lots of vegetables out of bounds, not going out unless really necessary, using umbrellas even if there was no rain etc. etc.

There was a large Allied military presence in Berlin at the time and they also had very strict rules they were advised to follow.

For example for all of us there was to be 'no breast feeding' because of the food we mothers had to eat and the air we were breathing, while there was to be no 'bottle feeds', because of the water with which the formula was mixed. Nevertheless no one actually told us what the solution would be for dealing with hungry babies.

We imported bottled water from a safe source however, as our son refused every type of bottle and teat available and he had certain health problems after his birth, I continued to breast feed. With no ill effects.

There are still places in Germany where the soil continues to have radioactive traces, while of course those in the area of Chernobyl itself continue to suffer heart breaking after effects.

Just wondered what, if any, directives you have been given to follow, and if the situation is affecting your own life.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

S
S
I live on a military base so they periodically check for radiation levels. The base that I am on are always notifying about warnings. So we always know what is going on. Since it is summer we have to conserve on energy. Military housing here does not have air conditioning. I came to Japan in May and things had settled down by then. When the earthquake hit we were in process of moving and we actually had a hold on movement to overseas. So we were stuck in the states for a month and a half. From what I have seen here in the local area they have really got back on the horse and have went about normal business. I have not been south of Japan so things are probably different.

Last edited by SherrieK; 09/04/11 02:09 AM.

Sherrie Knoller
Military Families Editor
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.