Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#655364 01/11/11 10:38 AM
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Everyone:

When we hear the word "gardening" it could mean flowers or vegetables. It took me a while to figure this one out (lol).

Which one are you doing (please see poll), and why?

Me personally, flowers but would one day like to be able to grow my own food like my parents did in Jamaica West Indies. I do like "pretty" flowers - scared of snakes, so I am out there with a broom stick to poke into stuff before I go near it or reach into it. Yikes!

Thanks you for participating in this poll.

Angela smile

What type of gardening do you do?
multiple choice
Votes accepted starting: 01/11/11 10:38 AM
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Everyone:

Anyone doing any gardening as yet?

Me, nope! And it is getting hotter by the minute smile But I do need to get out there and pull those weeds. Any volunteers???

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello there,

I love gardening so that I do as much as I can everyday! It's is not always a lot or as much as I would like to do, but at least something gets done daily.

I always plan my weeding around watering and or the rainy season, pref working with the rains and before the weeds set seed. When the ground is soft it is so much easier to pull these pests out of the garden by the roots and throwing them immediately into a refuse garden bag solves a lot of problems too.

Weeds between the paving stones usually respond well (by dying) to a kettle of boiling water (by respond well I mean for me!) and I also use neat white spirit vinegar which I hear should not be for human consumption (though many many people still eat it with chips and all).

There are some good and useful weeds out there; dandelions for instance, or another one we call Khakibos here in S A - blackjacks? So often I will leave some at least of these two in place, the dandelions look pretty with their little yellow flowers and I make dalndelion tea and Khakibos is useful as a rinse for my dog - fleas hate it. Fresh khakibos leaves in between dog's blankets are not noticed by dogs but fleas just stay away.

Weeds I hate trying to deal with are those pesky ones that grow as a very low groundcover with the lawn and grass. Difficult and very very time consuming to remove. Still I suppose they make you slow down and there is time to think things through. Perhaps that is what weeding is all about ... a chance to think and solve problems?

Anyway, cheers

Last edited by Lestie - ContainerGardens; 05/29/11 04:43 PM.

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
Hey,

This is my first year doing a garden, so me and my mom are doing one together. Im planting flowers and she is doing vegtables. So far we have had success!

Krystal Wantz
Hair
Krystal_Hair #692812 06/05/11 02:02 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Krystal,

What is your favourite flower that you have planted so far? Are you growing anything in containers?

Have you harvested any vegetables yet?

Cheers

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
You live in South Africa - how exciting. Were you born there? Any pictures to share?

I wish I had that rinse for our dogs and the fleas.

Love your idea for removing weeds between the paving stones - never heard of that one before thanks smile

Originally Posted By: Lestie - ContainerGardens
Hello there,

I love gardening so that I do as much as I can everyday! It's is not always a lot or as much as I would like to do, but at least something gets done daily.

I always plan my weeding around watering and or the rainy season, pref working with the rains and before the weeds set seed. When the ground is soft it is so much easier to pull these pests out of the garden by the roots and throwing them immediately into a refuse garden bag solves a lot of problems too.

Weeds between the paving stones usually respond well (by dying) to a kettle of boiling water (by respond well I mean for me!) and I also use neat white spirit vinegar which I hear should not be for human consumption (though many many people still eat it with chips and all).

There are some good and useful weeds out there; dandelions for instance, or another one we call Khakibos here in S A - blackjacks? So often I will leave some at least of these two in place, the dandelions look pretty with their little yellow flowers and I make dalndelion tea and Khakibos is useful as a rinse for my dog - fleas hate it. Fresh khakibos leaves in between dog's blankets are not noticed by dogs but fleas just stay away.

Weeds I hate trying to deal with are those pesky ones that grow as a very low groundcover with the lawn and grass. Difficult and very very time consuming to remove. Still I suppose they make you slow down and there is time to think things through. Perhaps that is what weeding is all about ... a chance to think and solve problems?

Anyway, cheers

F
F
i like both type of Gardening. There are many annual and tender plants I love to have in my garden year after year. I can't bring them all indoors and most of them wouldn't like it there anyway. Bringing plants indoors for the winter can be an iffy proposition. After getting used to spreading out in the ground and warm, humid summer days, many plants don't adjust well to winter windowsill conditions.

F
F
Hi all, you all have shared wonderfull information on gardening.

I just wanted to know that Is gardening with tires bad for the environment?

I have read many articles that suggest using old tires for container gardening. My father is considering making a vegetable garden out of tires. Does the tire pollute the soil and there fore the vegetables? I it is bad to burn tires.. Should I be concerned about the quality of the vegetables? Have you seen any scientific evidence about this topic? Or environmental tests?

Last edited by Jeanne Egbosiuba Ukwendu; 09/04/11 04:21 PM.

Moderated by  Gail - Gardening 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.