Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
beth_m Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
B
Quote:
To which I replied (honest, this is exactly what I said), "I'm sorry, you said I'm supposed to be able to feel it with my fingers, right? Exactly how small IS your [censored]?" Man, the look on his face, priceless. It was almost worth the annoyance.

You go girl laugh ! That is soooo funny -- you really put him in his place!

I am hoping that since I'm opting to get anesthesia for the IUD that the OBGYN would do a decent (thus not hurried) job with the placement. I read today that the string can be tucked into the cervix in such a way that it can't be felt by him during intercourse.

I'm still thinking Paragard will be the way to go. Don't won't to risk a lot of hormonal issues with Mirena, since I know I won't do well without periods.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Hi Beth, I was on the pill (combined and then the mini - arrrggghhh, worst expereince ever!) before I got my first IUD and yes, after a while, my hormones did return to normal. although I'm not really sure what's "normal" for me, because I was quite young (14) when I first started on the pill. Seriously, I had probably about 4 different partners over the years I had an IUD and none of them ever complained about feeling the string during sex! And I can tell you, all of them were at least averagely endowed, if not much bigger! ;) The string does feel a little like fishing wire at first, but it softens after a while, and can always be trimmed back if it's too long, although the longer it is, the more in curls around the cervix, instead of sticking out. For women who have never given birth, the chances of it spontaneously falling out are rare, as your cervix should be nice and tight! ;) Some doctors have an irrational negativity about IUD's in general. I would also be more than a little suspect and dubious about recommending Mirena over a copper IUD - I wonder just how much of a kickback the doctor is getting from the manufacturer of Mirena? The key to me is to go to your doctor fully informed and not to be swayed by their opinions. yu can always get it taken out if it doesn't work for you. And in regards to the pain - honestly, I have quite a low pain threshold and I didn't need any anasthesia. It's up to you, but if you've ever had a bad period cramp, it's like that and only lasts for the couple of minutes it takes to insert or remove it. Then the pain is gone. Ah and I've always been a light bleeder and it only made it just very slightly heavier. So no worries there, either.

B
beth_m Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
B
Quote:
I would also be more than a little suspect and dubious about recommending Mirena over a copper IUD - I wonder just how much of a kickback the doctor is getting from the manufacturer of Mirena?

Yeah, I kinda got that impression when I saw my physician. She went on and on about Mirena and didn't discuss Paragard at all. I had to do my own online research on this (spent a good part of last week doing it). All in all, what I found was that a lot of people don't like Mirena for the hormone problems. As for the copper IUD, there were some complainers but overall positive comments about it. The majority of complaints had to do with cramps and bleeding, and most of these people were still in that 1-3 month period after the insertion.

I'm pretty tough myself on pain level, as I had constant pain from a ruptured disk for two years straight (resolved by surgery). So I can sweat in through the intense uterine cramping. But in my reading, I found that women rated the IUD insertion anywhere from a little worse than a Pap test to an intense labor pain! I still think I want the sedation, just in case -- and maybe not do sedation when it comes out.

Hey if you can get pain relief, it can't be a bad thing! :) And you are right, pulling it out is less painful and quicker, they basically just yank it out in one movement - sounds gruesome but I think it's more the thought of it, not the actual pain. Good luck with this - I hope you have a good experience like I did. It really freed me up and I loved it. I would still have it if my partner wouldn't have had a vasectomy.

B
beth_m Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
B
Hey!

Thought I would update y'all on the IUD situation. I went in on Oct 11th to do the insertion (for Paragard). The doctor decided to try it during an office visit and just give me Lortab and Xanax to take beforehand. The medicine must have barely kicked in when she started, because it was still pretty painful. She tried to insert it the first time and then found, using an ultrasound, that my cervix was tilted too much. She did another attempt -- this time I felt like a dagger was being jabbed into my cervix!! Bound and determined, I told her to keep trying it, but she gave up because she was afraid that I would jerk and she would puncture my uterus. Needless to say, it was a wasted day. I had to go home, sans the IUD, and sleep off the painkillers. The frustration was overwhelming.

The good side of this story is that I will go back on Nov 2nd to have it inserted under sedation. The nurse told me that by doing this, the doctor will have more freedom to manipulate my cervix to get it in there correctly. In the mean time, I have been off of birth control pills this month, and I feel wonderful! My libido is back (in a very big way), I'm in a fantastic mood, and I just feel great from head to toe. We are using barrier methods this month of course, but I can definitely deal with that for a little while, as good as things are. I will let you all know how the IUD works out for me. I am hoping it is the perfect method for someone like me, who doesn't want to put up with the horrible sides effects of hormonal birth control.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Like I stated in an earlier post, I am on a low dose of estrogen type pill, and I have been on it for a year and a half.

I don't have any nasty side effects and it has been worry free during intimate time. I have no problems remembering to take it every day at the same time either. It works great for me, I have more comfortable periods, and no worries that a foreign object is going to rip me up inside.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Hey Beth!
May you have Good Fortune on Nov 2nd !
Thank God we live in this day and age where you can take control and command your own life !!
Bravo !!!
Now you're the type of person who has the sense to think for herself... duh !
I wish a whole bunch of other folks would take the responsibility for new precious life !
My first daughter-in-law should have never had children.
I hate to be so cold and direct but from maggots in the kitchen to different men every other weekend... I'm sure you get the picture. Thank God Connie and I were able to get custody for our son, (my step-son but we are close), and his new wife Crystal... what a nightmare... but it's close to Halloween, so I thought I'd add my perspective.

B
beth_m Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
B
Well, I have some disturbing news. I went in under sedation on the 2nd to get the IUD (for a hefty price -- no insurance coverage on the surgery center part of it), the insertion was a failure again -- and I have a puncture in my uterus. I'm having to go back to the OBGYN on Monday to have the puncture looked at. She says if it heals, then she can attempt again with dilation meds at a later date. She tells me that I have cervical stenosis and scarring very badly, which has me distraught, because all these years my general practitioners (who have been doing all my yearly Paps for 10 yrs) did not pick up on this. I think it might have something to do with the time I was on Depo, because I had abnormal Paps every year I was on it. When I got on the Pill, the abnormalities suddenly went away.

I know this is not of great interest to a lot of you, but I just need to talk about it. I will also be talking with my doc about getting a diaphragm so I'm not using condoms all the time. It SCARES me every time I see the 6% failure rates for diaphragms (perfect use, w/spermicide). But I can't go back to hormones, after seeing what they have done to me over time. Maybe the stenosis issues I'm having will help with pregnancy prevention -- I don't know. So many difficult decisions lie ahead for me -- please keep me in your prayers :-).

D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Wow....so sorry to hear about all of this, Beth.

I really feel for you, because whatever choice you make for birth control, you sure hope and pray for things to go smoothly. I hope your doctor can figure things out for you soon, and that you can get a measure of peace about this aspect of your life.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
C
Shark
Shark
C
Hello beth_m
Have you considered getting a tubal ligation? Then all your birth control problems would be solved...once and for-all.
Just sayin'
cp

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.