Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
It is almost inconceivable in our modern world of internet and cell phones that there are still groups of people completely unknowing about the "modern world". And yet in Brazil there are at least 67 reported such tribes.

Uncontacted Tribes in Brazil

What do you think? How would these people be best taken care of?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
Hey Lisa:

Do I need "trifocals" (already wearing bifocals/lol) - was this Brazil site always here or is it new?

Originally Posted By: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
It is almost inconceivable in our modern world of internet and cell phones that there are still groups of people completely unknowing about the "modern world". And yet in Brazil there are at least 67 reported such tribes.

Uncontacted Tribes in Brazil

What do you think? How would these people be best taken care of?

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
This is most certainly a Catch 22 situation. My heart is pulled in two directions and my brain in a few more.

My first reaction is leave them alone, with protection from intrusion and enough land area to sustain the population. There is certainly someone from these tribes who has left the isolation and can be used to initiate studies, and most importantly assist in preserving, with minimal outside influence, their knowledge of the natural world they are an initimate part of.

Just this afternoon, I found this quote, by Tom Brown, Jr, known as The Tracker

"If today I had a young mind to direct, to start on the journey of life, and I was faced with the duty of choosing between the natural way of my forefathers and that of the... present way of civilization, I would, for its welfare, unhesitatingly set that child's feet in the path of my forefathers. I would raise him to be an Indian!"

But my heart also wants them to be healthy and with the freedom to choose which life they prefer.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

A thought provoking article Lisa and �Catch 22 Situation� sums it up perfectly Jane, I agree with everything you say.

Over the centuries and even in the last 60 years so many indigenous people from tribes all over the world have been wiped out, or their life styles changed to such an extent that they no longer have any sense of identity, or sense of purpose.

From experience we know that this can lead to alcoholism and all types of problems, unhappiness and unfulfilled lives, so we should surely look back and learn from our, in many cases very obvious, mistakes, made at different times on many continents, and by whatever means possible try to prevent them reoccurring.

And the thought that travel company�s would offer such �tours�, and people would actually want to go and take part in the experience of �using� the lives of fellow human beings, who have not chosen to be on a reality show, is hard to understand.

The Tom Brown Jnr. quote is very fitting.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
I think the best way to take care of them is to let them take care of themselves. Don't screw up their native lands, so as to make it impossible to live their lives in the traditional ways.

While their lives might seem terribly harsh to us, it should not be up to us to "change" them. Keep the "civilized" world away from them, and don't interfere.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Connie -

I definitely agree that it would be presumptuous for us to go in and try to "change" or "fix" their culture. They have their culture and have every right to maintain it.

Part of the concern is that these tribes are no longer "safe". There is no way to build a 100' wall around them (at a safe distance so they don't see it) and keep them safe from modern intruders. There are too many people who delight in going and finding these groups and doing things to them.

So do we just do nothing and hope against hope that the tribe remains isolated for decades, even if that's highly unlikely? Do we create some sort of a plan so that we can gently and gradually introduce them to the modern world at a pace they can absorb, knowing that it's inevitable and at least our attempt will be more gentle than an unscrupulous person's activities?

Low Carb Forum
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
If we do anything, let's first ask them what they want. I favor heavy fines and prison sentences for people who go in and do things to them. How about putting a buffer zone, also known as a national park around them. Have a structure to control who goes in.

A lot of the time people get concerned about "protecting" these groups when there are significant resources that are needed by the developed world. Then, we want to protect them by moving them out of their traditional lands.

Lisa, I know that is not where you are coming from. You have a genuine interest in helping and caring for others. Not everybody rolls the way that you do.

Last edited by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches; 07/27/11 05:09 PM.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Connie -

The concern is that the mere act of asking them involves a huge disruption. It means they see our modern gear, they have to spend time with us to help us learn their language so we can ask them, and during that time they learn about the outside world. So there's no way to ask them without disrupting their culture.

So even accepting that we ask them what they choose means we've already crossed a huge boundary.

Low Carb Forum

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.