Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
I just adopted a sweet little dog from the animal shelter in Irvine, ca. I was very surprised to see how great the facility looks. I think in the future I will be more involved - like I did not know that you could sponsor a space for an animal.

Anyway my dog comes home tomorrow. We plan to call him Mooshie... a sweet little guy with a curly grey coat. What caught me was how quiet he was and forlorn....like he is saying - is anyone going to pick me?

Last edited by Winsome_Soaper; 07/19/11 08:05 PM.

Editor, Soapmaking site at Bellaonline
Soapmaking Site at Bellaonline

Soap making kits, DIY bath and body kits and customizable labels.
PerfumeKits.com
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
Shark
Congrats on your new family member! There's something so special about rescue animals... I really, truly think they come into your home knowing that you picked them out of everyone else there. It's amazing how you can just see that one face and know that's the one that's meant to come home with you!

Did they tell you anything about where he came from or what his background is? I adopted my last cat from the Humane Society, and she was a lot like your new guy sounds... just quiet, waiting for that person to come along... she'd been badly abused, and finally caught by someone eating out of a dumpster in a WalMart parking lot. She was SO scared when I brought her home, I didn't even see her for almost a week. It can be heartbreaking dealing with animals that haven't been allowed to blossom... I think the most important thing is to let the dog adjust to his new home on his schedule.

Here's a page from the Humane Society that has some good tips -- Bringing Your New Dog Home

That's awesome that you're thinking about continuing to volunteer! Our SPCA makes it easy! They have something similar where you can sponsor either a space in the shelter or sponsor an animal until they get adopted - I believe they call them Shelter Guardians. Makes it a little easier, since we know we can't bring them all home with us.

Expecting pictures of your new pup!

Debra Kelly
BellaOnline:Dogs

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's."
- Mark Twain, Letter to W D Howells, 4/2/1899
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
"I think the most important thing is to let the dog adjust to his new home on his schedule."

Absolutely! I couldn't agree with this more. Dogs are social animals and the high stress of shelter life usually isn't the plce they will exhibit their natural personality. The best thing you can do is offer time, space, patience, and love.

per aspera ad astra: Through rough ways to the stars...

Moderated by  Bettina-Dogs/Herbs Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.