logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#577378 01/12/10 03:26 AM
OP Offline
Coming out can be a scary but liberating experience. If you are LGBT, have you considered coming out of the closet?

If you are not LGBT but are an LGBT ally, do you know someone who needs help in the tough process of coming out?

The following article can help you or any loved ones understand the importance of coming out. It has several wonderful resources!

I would love to know what any of you think of this article or if you are considering forwarding it to a loved one/friend!
Click the link below to read the article:

Coming Out For Good!

Thanks!

Claudia C.
Gay Lesbian Editor

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Amoeba
Amoeba
The only thing "coming out" will make is to strong LGBT and increase the influence of this on your own identity.

You were not born like this and if you adopted to do this, it is not as mandatory to be an activist.

Always leave a soft corner for the Good. Thanks

M
MFL Offline
M
It's really sad that now, 2010, you still need a strategy to come out. 10 years ago I thought the gay and lesbian 'issue' would have ended and perhaps the world would have moved on to some other group to stigmatize

G
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
G
Old post, though just as relevant today for discussion.

My life experience and observations are - coming out to everyone is not always in the best interest of the individual. I understand the premise of the article for its social significance impacting political protections for glbt people, however, the damage done to some individuals for coming out to the wrong people or at the wrong time cannot be revoked. I've sat in chat rooms with young adults who felt the pressure to come out to their parents or pastors or family only to end up without a home or college fund and even without family after that. It is sad that they even felt the pressure to label themselves this way or that at a younger age, many straight kids may have a same sex attraction but will not identify or feel that way later. Same may happen with gay kids with the opposite sex. Coming out may socially solidify that sense of identity rather than allow a young adult (or someone that does not have the support network or tools to cope) to explore his or her authentic self and feelings in a safe atmosphere. This even goes for adults, many of them in fact.

I've consoled women who lost their job for just living their own life and someone finding out. Still not shocking even in today's world where companies have creative ways of letting people go. You know, there are still many men and women today who worry about doing this job or that because of the religious right's propaganda equating gay/lesbian/bi people with pedophilia for years and years. How incredibly, amazingly stigmatizing that has been for decent people whose only social crime was to actually fall in love with someone of the same gender. Yet even today, in the back of peoples minds some of that is still there. You don't think people get 'let go' of jobs because of this ugly propaganda? They do.

Others simply cannot be prepared to live another persons life with what can happen and still does.

I understand the psychological repression and what that causes, even the good that does come out of 'coming out' as authentic people letting others have the freedom to define or not define a persons worth and identity by sexuality alone. Certainly for me, sexuality is only a part of my life, not the half or the whole of it. And I am not inclined to box anyone else in that way either whether heterosexual or homosexual. But at least I know that, it is surprising how many people don't have a clue.

It is not up to someone else to determine what is best for the individual.

When is it time to come out? When people are ready and when they feel like they are doing it for themselves most of all.

Last edited by GoodMorningSunshine; 06/29/11 06:00 AM.
L
L
I completely agree with GoodMorningSunshine. I have found that the younger generation is more accepting of non-heterosexuality than the older generation, and this clash causes backlash and bullying for LGBT teens and young adults. Coming out is a process that shouldn't be forced. It can't be undone.

And GoodMorningSunshine is right. There aren't many states that give LGBT individuals any rights, including the right to fair treatment in obtaining credit, obtaining and keeping employment, custody, child custody, and of course marriage.

Lynn Marie Wilson
Gay Lesbian News Site Editor
Visit the Facebook Page
L
L
Please note that the article referenced in this thread will soon be written over as per BellaOnline policy. I intend to write my own article on coming out in the next few weeks (at the latest).

Lynn Marie Wilson
Gay Lesbian News Site Editor
Visit the Facebook Page

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.