Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
We've been talking about using Diatomaceous earth in another thread and thought I would give this it's own topic here.

I bought some food grade (not pool grade, which is toxic) diatomaceous earth today at my local feed store.

I just did the following with some for pest control:

rubbed in my hair
rubbed in cat and kitten fur and ears
added some to cat food
added some to litter box

Now need to figure out how to use diatomaceous earth in my the house and yard, to rid me of fleas and gnats.

I know some of you have some excellent experiences to share on this, so please add your how-tos and uses here! smile

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Jilly! smile Ah girl, you tickle me!

I actually have an article written up on the topic but nowhere to put it *sigh* Here is an excerpt:

"Thoroughly apply the powder to your pet, avoiding contact with the eyes, as it may cause mild irritation. A damp towel over the eyes while powdering prevents the issue. If it gets into the eyes just rinse it out with water or eye solution. Rub DE into the animal�s fur ensuring that you are getting the creases in the folds of their skin and ears; anywhere pests love to hide. Leave the powder on your pet for 24 hours, then rinse and repeat as necessary. It is effective when applied to wet or dry fur. Depending on the level of the outbreak it can take from 24 hours up to a week for a heavy infestation with the average being between 24 to 48 hours.

For a flea infestation you will also want to de-flea your household. Pillows, stuffed animals, beds, linens, carpet, furniture; anything that breathes, powder and allow those items, that can, to sit overnight in tied trash bags; wash and vacuum items once your pet is free and clear of any pests. This is essentially an organic version of bug bombing your household without the hazards to your family or pets.

Finally, treat your outside areas. DE is safe on plant life. Dampen the area to allow for better adhesion. Generously spread throughout and leave it. To prevent further outbreaks reapply as necessary, typically after a heavy rain. Your pet will be grateful to be rid of the pesky hitchhikers and you will be happy that you�ve kept your family safe from potentially harmful chemicals."

Feel free to take the advise but please leave my words.

I look forward to reading your comments.

The evolution of humankind can be measured by how its animals are treated.

Deb Duxbury
Animal Life Editor

Animal Life Forum
Facebook Page
Twitter
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Whoa! They charged you that much? Did you go to the Feed store? I purchase 50lbs for $23

Egad ... let me find my Feed store number ... here it is .... Powells(520) 836-7013 - see if there is a way to get it shipped or ask them who they get their DE from - I dump mine in a bin. There is NO WAY you should be paying that much for 2 pound bag.

Deb Duxbury
Animal Life Editor

Animal Life Forum
Facebook Page
Twitter
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Oh Jilly ... termites are exoskeleton critters ... so guess what will work on them smile

Seriously, call the feed store. I am so tired of this "out to raid everybody's pocketbook" mentality. If one more store tells me it's because their costs have gone up I might just lose it.

I told a food store yesterday that I will never shop there again. They raised a product price $2 in 10 days! I'll sit here and starve with my DE. I've totally had it with greedy mentality.

Here's a news flash corporate america - LOWER your prices and people will shop there!

Deb Duxbury
Animal Life Editor

Animal Life Forum
Facebook Page
Twitter
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wow, I just wrote a huge post and it went away with a careless mistake on my keyboard. darn.

basically I put just dusted around the entire backyard studio with the earth. Since it is down to the framework and only a little of the insulation is in, I really got in there good to make a bug barrier.

I was wondering how to 'dust' the stuff, and decided to fill an empty garlic powder bottle. I labelled it DIATOMS. smile

I am now dancing all the over the RV where I live dusting this stuff on everything. John Crichton thinks this is a fine new game (my yearling cat).

Last edited by Jilly; 06/12/11 03:23 AM.
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I live in a tiny rural town so I was just glad we actually HAVE a feed store. smile

You are right, though. That is paying way too much. When I use up my 2 pounds I will search around and buy elsewhere. One place online seems to charge $5 plus shipping for two pounds. Is that reasonable?

What kind of bin do you store your DE in?

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Here Jilly -

This is a great option!

Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade 50 Lb

Anybody who is into green living without having to pay the green for living - this is the way to go for DE if you don't have a reasonable feed store in your area.

Deb Duxbury
Animal Life Editor

Animal Life Forum
Facebook Page
Twitter
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
The Dollar Store or gad what's it called .... oh, Big Lots sells big storage bins. I have several that I use for storing decorations and my candle, bath product making supplies. I keep it out by the back door - it's not like I have to worry about bugs getting into it ... LOL smile

Deb Duxbury
Animal Life Editor

Animal Life Forum
Facebook Page
Twitter
Shark
Shark
You can use it as a natural scrubbing cleanser for anything from showers to floors. If you mix it with a bit of your regular tooth paste, it's an extra good cleaner for your teeth too.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OMG! You named that cat Crichton!!! I am a huge Farscape fan! LOL! Well, up until they buggered the show in the 4th. Egad, that screeching chick! Man, she made me want to set my hair on fire.

But, the first 3 - OMG - totally my most favorite of all smile

Deb Duxbury
Animal Life Editor

Animal Life Forum
Facebook Page
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.