Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
In our own life, we tend to mimic at least some of what we grew up with. If you come from a dysfunctional family, many of us do actually, you might find yourself repeating some of what you experienced, but feel quite natural in doing it.

So say you have a distant father and a mother who drowed the relationship out (the lonliness/lack of intimacy) by ignoring it or took it into her own hands with an affair, you might naturally find yourself if your the son who grew up with that, falling into the same pattern of the father, or if you relate more to the mother, one or even both of those behaviors.

If it's a natural instinct, are they correctible behaviors or behaviors that are even in need of correcting, if they happen to be ones that are natural in doing?

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
Elleise:

You have to first know that there is a different way of relating and then have the desire to change.

Personally, I broke the "cycle" of mothers being distant with their daughters with my only child. She grew up to know she could talk to me about anything, stuff I would rather not know/lol, but rather she come to me with her concerns.

It worked and kept her from drugs and pregnancy and death - we lived in the ghetto. I taught her, that while I was struggling as a single parent, it did not mean that we had to act "ghetto"...

My mom and her mom are "polite" and I had an awesome relationship with both of my grandparents (mom's side), dad's died when he was still a boy.

My mom and myself have zero relationship and after years of trying to work it out, finally gave up and concentrated on my daughter. Nicole is 24 and I am so PROUD of her and know that if she has a daughter (she has no kids at moment), she will continue to IMPROVE on what I started.

I don't hate my mom, but spent too many years mourning, yes, over a relationship that never existed due to the fact that she was too busy defending herself against an alcoholic husband who wanted her barefoot and pregnant. Back in Jamaica, West Indies, women did not have any options and while she had her Master's, she choice to stay with him.

To this day she has never discussed this sad situation and to be honest, if he had not died in a car accident while driving home drunk from work one rainy day when I was 12 (I will be 53 in a few months) - I doubt if she would be alive today.

So yes, we do tend to mimic what we grew up around, but it does not have to be so.

Great question as usual smile

BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I love that you were able to bridge communication and break that cycle of "distance." I never understood it myself, but for maybe if there's more kids than you can handle mentally, emotionally, etc.

Especially, parent-child connection. I have the same philosophy with my own daughter. My thought process is, if they can't just come to you as a person, then they're going to go to some other person somewhere else.

It takes a lot to break negative behaviors you've grown up with. But as you point out, you have to know, there are other ways.

I think half of the reason we grow up with what we do is like a personal home movie theater brought direct to your own home..you know, before Netflix, lol. But there you can pretty much figure out what not to do, or go ahead and do, but understand you're kind of getting a sneak preview into the types of outcomes you're likely to have.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Tiger
Tiger
Hi Elleise, I finally realized why my mom was the way she was = she was being beat up every day and would not leave just to stay married and have a father for me and my 2 brothers. Back in Jamaica, West Indies - there was no resources and you were "blacklisted" if you let anyone know. I got in trouble with an aunt for telling her later in life when I was out on my own. I asked why no one helped my mom? They all knew what was going on from the neighbors hearing her screaming and crying. Ladies, we have to bring up our young ladies to not accept this at all. Always have an option to escape. My mom gave up her career and had to sneak around to do some craft for a little change in her pocket. He controlled the ONE car and the finances. But again, my mom choose to stay with him until he died when I was 12. I am now 52 and she has NEVER discussed this with me(lol). I forgive my dad for what he did to our household, and forgive my mom for not being there for me as a girl. Thank goodness I had older girls at school who looked out for me or I would have either committed suicide, or ended up with several unplanned kids or drugs or alcohol. It shows that anyone can make a difference in your life if you are willing to let them.

Originally Posted By: Elleise - Clairvoyance
I love that you were able to bridge communication and break that cycle of "distance." I never understood it myself, but for maybe if there's more kids than you can handle mentally, emotionally, etc.

Especially, parent-child connection. I have the same philosophy with my own daughter. My thought process is, if they can't just come to you as a person, then they're going to go to some other person somewhere else.

It takes a lot to break negative behaviors you've grown up with. But as you point out, you have to know, there are other ways.

I think half of the reason we grow up with what we do is like a personal home movie theater brought direct to your own home..you know, before Netflix, lol. But there you can pretty much figure out what not to do, or go ahead and do, but understand you're kind of getting a sneak preview into the types of outcomes you're likely to have.

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 06/09/11 11:57 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Elleise, I have been reading this book The Narcissistic Family and it has been such an eye opener.

I can look back and see how my grandfather and grandmother worried more about what people thought of their family than they ever worried about their own kids. My own mother simply doesn't have the skills to make a connection, so we don't have a real connection - it's very superficial and though we only live 30 miles from each other, we go weeks or months without seeing each other. And then I married someone whose natural inclination is to worry more about what other people think that his wife and kids.

But see,now that I realize what I'm dealing with, and being told, by my therapist, that some things aren't normal - like my husband giving me the silent treatment cuz he's mad - I am able to see things in a different way, and recognize that something's not right.

That's a huge deal!

Of course I spend more time scratching my head and wondering how I ended up in this "B" movie!!

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

Tiger
Tiger
Deanna, do you think it is okay to stay in the relationship knowing all this?

LOL, I am with someone that is my dad's twin in the sense of "control" and I guess I am taking it one day at a time and working on getting my savings back. Yep, drained it with not having a steady income but determined to get it back so that I have options. He is in Orlando right now seeing family and I worry that he will come back with a car load of nieces or nephews and sorry, but I am at an age where I expect him to watch them and not fall asleep in front of the TV. I guess in his family the women serve a certain purpose(lol). Even though I care, if this happens, I will be definately looking at another option as I served my mom days and now it is all about me. I enjoyed being a mom to my only child now 24 (girl) - now I want to come and go as I want to.

Originally Posted By: DeannaDreams/Spirituality
Elleise, I have been reading this book The Narcissistic Family and it has been such an eye opener.

I can look back and see how my grandfather and grandmother worried more about what people thought of their family than they ever worried about their own kids. My own mother simply doesn't have the skills to make a connection, so we don't have a real connection - it's very superficial and though we only live 30 miles from each other, we go weeks or months without seeing each other. And then I married someone whose natural inclination is to worry more about what other people think that his wife and kids.

But see,now that I realize what I'm dealing with, and being told, by my therapist, that some things aren't normal - like my husband giving me the silent treatment cuz he's mad - I am able to see things in a different way, and recognize that something's not right.

That's a huge deal!

Of course I spend more time scratching my head and wondering how I ended up in this "B" movie!!

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 06/11/11 05:41 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.