Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Since I lost my little boy, my father and and my grandmother, I thought I was all grieved out. I was done with grief. It hurts too much and leaves me a withered shell of a person.

So imagine my surprise and shock that when we had to put down our beloved border collie of 14 years, I lost it all over again. He was more than a pet to us. Sounds cliche to say he was like a family member but he was. He grew up with my kids, and nearly all of their childhood memories include him. A remarkable animal with keen intelligence and a human-like personality.

In any case, I just can't seem to stop thinking about him, and I am so so so sad even though I know he is in a better place now. I'm so sad with all this separation from those I love.

How can we live happily here when half of our hearts are in another realm?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
Shark
My heart goes out to you, Lori. I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your beloved dog, on top of everything else.

I don't know if it helps to know you're not alone...but you aren't. I've written several articles on coping with pet loss, and those are by far the most popular. We pet lovers lose a bit of our hearts when we lose our animals...and we never completely recover. The pets I've loved and lost are still with me, as vivid now as they were the day I lost them.

One thing that helped me is to hold on to the idea that my lost pets wouldn't want me to be thinking of them with pain, regret, guilt, or sadness. Rather, they'd want me to remember them with love, joy, happiness, and a sense of peace that we'll be reunited one day.

Here's my most popular article, which has over 160 comments from people who are grieving the loss of their dogs. Many of my readers say it helps to read the stories of other pet lovers, because it shows them they're not alone. That can be very comforting.

http://theadventurouswriter.com/blog/when-your-dog-dies-tips-for-healing-from-pet-owners/

In sympathy,
Laurie

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Oh Lori I am so sorry, I had no idea you had lost your son, I knew your daughter was sick. And as for your dog, I know how that feels. They are in a better place and God is with them.

Live for the moment Lori, and try not to be sad. God is with you.

Linda

Linda Heywood

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Lori, I am so very sorry for your loss. I can so empathize with you. When I lost my little Boomer, an Australian Silky Terrier, I was devastated. People who have dogs they love understand the heartbreak of loss.

One thing that really helped me when Boomer died, was to make a scrapbook all about him. I added prayers and poems I wrote, little stickers, stories, anything to do with Boomer -- and of course, many, many pictures of him alone or with the family throughout the book.

I love to go through the book once in a while and reflect on memories and all the joy Boomer gave us. He is a much loved little guy.

Last edited by Phyllis-Folk/Myth; 05/17/11 12:09 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
K
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
K
I know exactly what you are going through.

We lost our two beloved kitties within 8 months of each other. One had a horrible mass in her abdomen that was likely cancer. The other had lung cancer, in spite of the fact that she was an indoor cat and neither of us ever smoked.

We were heartbroken. And shocked. They were from the same litter and were only 10 and 11 when they died. We should have had so much more time.

Our house was empty for exactly two weeks. That was all we could take. We adopted two new kittens, again, sisters, and although it was rough at first (they can never replace what you've lost) eventually we fell in love with them and our broken hearts started to mend.

The only thing you can do is feel the grief as it comes, don't try to fight it, and when you're ready, go looking for your next perfect dog. He or she is out there, and needs you as much as you need them.

Hang in there! Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more -- I still cry sometimes when I think of our two ladies. We lost them in December 2009 and August 2010.

Kim

Kim Kenney
BellaOnline Museums Editor
My Museum Ebooks

"Seek those who find your road agreeable, your personality and mind stimulating, your philosophy acceptable, and your experiences helpful. Let those who do not, seek their own kind." -Jean-Henri Fabre
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Thank you all so much. It does help to know that others understand my pain. Once, a neighbor said that dogs were just "dumb animals" and she could not believe how people could get attached to not just dogs but even pet rats (we had a pet rat.) She said that if she had a pet rat that was ill, she would not take it to the vet but just "wring its little neck."

Anyway, Phyllis, that is a great idea about the scrapbook. I will definitely do that. I already feel a sense of joy as I imagine compiling it.

Oddly, I cannot seem to complete my son's scrapbook. It still brings me deep pain to sort through the pictures. I just want to step through each one to hug and kiss him, and if I could, I would...

Amoeba
Amoeba
I am so sorry for ALL your losses. I too have written about the loss of a dog -- it IS a family member that you have lost.

I do think that tributes and scrapbooks help you sort through it, that's why I wrote that article -- a way of working through it.

I fortunately have not yet had to deal with the loss of non-pet family members, not since my grandparents died MANY years ago -- so there I can only imagine that it is extremely difficult. My heart aches for you and my prayers will be with you.

Anne

Lori, there is no panacea for the aching heart of a mother who has lost a child. It takes time, so much time, to get to a place where we are able to put together all the memories in one place. Until we can do that, those memories are scattered throughout our lives. They come to us at odd moments, unexpected times, or right in the middle of a celebration of joy.

Do you have all of your beloved son's pictures in one place? If they are all in the same box or drawer, it may help to know you can pull them to you all at once when you need to. A scrapbook, or memory journal, will come to you when the time is right. Do not force it -- the spirit of your beloved son will help you when you are ready.

Much love and many hugs to you.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Some of his photos are in my bedroom, next to my bed, on the bookshelf. I like to see his smiling face everywhere. But when it comes time to compile a scrapbook and to add some journaling and emotion, that's when I stop.

He is a joy to us still and we speak of him daily with great love, laughter and joy. But for some reason, it's that darned scrapbook that I have a hard time with.

Thank you all for sharing about your loves. Please do tell me about your special animal/pet relationships and post pics if you can! I love those and reading about your loving pets makes me feel much better. smile

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Oh Lori, I do feel for you. We had eight cats at one time, the two older ones had already passed on and were much missed but six were from the same litter, born in the space of an hour on our bed in the middle of the night when the boys were young, so of course we kept them all.

In just one year despite astronomical vets bills the remaining ones all died from different things, they had enjoyed life and we had so enjoyed them and were just devastated. Simply finding a ginger coloured hair when I took my winter clothes out of storage sent me into buckets of sobs.

I like to think our pets go to 'heaven', and ours had a type of blessing service from one of my youngest son's Godfathers who is a pastor, and they are now buried along side a Buddha!

Phyllis�s idea is a super one. It took some time before we were up to it but we did the same and now it really does bring back the most wonderful memories.

Love, take care and Bongo was lucky to have shared his life with you and your family.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.