Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#684942 05/07/11 11:28 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Have you ever noticed that siblings quarrel all the time. Do you think it will ever end? or Have you worked out the perfect solution to this? Let me know your secret! wall

Last edited by TCW; 05/07/11 11:29 PM.

Tuculia Washington, Daughters Editor
Daughters Website
Daughters Forum

Live, Laugh and Love
�Making a difference in the world one person at a time�
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
What I did notice this weekend while we were away camping is that the quarreling practically stopped.
The moment we entered back into our home - it started up again. smile

I do try to redirect their quarreling and model more appropriate ways to say what they are saying... and I make them repeat it after me to practice. heh.

Sometimes, I just let them work it out themselves. If they can't work it out - whatever they are quarreling about becomes mine for awhile.

I realize that they need to grow into proper communication and that some quarreling is developmentally appropriate... but I still can't stand it.

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I agree. What drives me crazy the most is when they go from playing with each other to quarreling and then back to playing in minutes. You've gota love it! And yes, I agree they need to grow into proper communication, but it drives me crazy! Thanks for sharing!

Daughters Website
Daughters Forum

Live, Laugh and Love
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
I agree, Tuculia! That's why I never get invested in my kids' arguments. I tell them to work it out, unless bloodshed is involved. I know that I'll get involved, try to legislate the outcome, interfere where they really don't want me, and they'll be fine with each other soon. It's a no win for a mom!

Laura Delgado, Ph.D.
Sons Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I love it Laura!

Daughters Website
Daughters Forum

Live, Laugh and Love
I often tell people my kids are the best of friends and the worst of enemies. It's difficult to live day in and day out with someone--especially someone you didn't choose to live with--and not get annoyed or frustrated with that person. The coping, communication and social skills of children are still evolving so they often have anti-social ways of working out their differences and frustrations.

When my children were younger, I got involved more often because they needed help working out their differences in healthy, socially acceptable ways. I also have two children who did not "catch" social skills but had to be taught. As they have grown older, I get involved when asked or if it is escalating to a point where intervention is necessary.

I have, on occasion, required two children to sit on the couch holding hands until they can either agree to disagree or make up. When appropriate, I have also required that the offender find something nice to do for the offended by the end of the day. I also talk to my kids and listen to them. Just the other day one of my sons told me that one of the ways he knows he can trust me is because I truly listen. If I cannot find an equitable solution or my children are asking my to choose one over the other, I tell them as much.

All of the above is often successful, but not always. Our successes probably have a lot to do with personalities and family dynamics than anything. I have tried a lot of things over the years and kept what works for us.

Becky Wilson
Adoption Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Thank you for saying this because most parents need to hear things are for siblings in every houshold!

Daughters Website
Daughters Forum

Live, Laugh and Love
A
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
A
My daughters, now grown, were the best of friends and worst of enemies as well. Sometime during the teens, they sort of bonded in a joint understanding that their parents were the real ODD ones in the family.

Because we didn't allow TONS of friend times & activities outside the family, they became companions and friends. While they weren't allowed to hang at the mall with their friends on Saturday night, they were given money and the car to go to the movies together on Saturday afternoon.

There are still sibling issues, but also good sibling memories.

Just a word of hope... you will survive. :-)

L
Amoeba
Amoeba
L
I used to quarrel with my younger sister quite a bit. But both of us married now and living apart kind of helps in the sense that we tend to share things to talk about. I guess we're just not meant to live under one roof.

Lynsaf #703922 07/27/11 05:42 AM
S
Shark
Shark
S
Sometimes sibling rivalry carries over into adulthood. I have seen that happen many times. And I do think personality plays into it as well.
Embroidry Fashions Boutique

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nina - Siblings 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.