Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#681914 04/27/11 08:44 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I'm starting to have hot flashes at night which can make sleeping very challenging. We all know how important it is to sleep well in order to function well during the day smile

Looking at various websites, it appears that stress is the #1 trigger for hot flashes. That is, if I can reduce stress levels, the hot flashes will diminish as well! A win-win! So it definitely seems key to get more yoga and meditation into my life.

It also seems like caffeine / chocolate trigger them and I did have sugar-free chocolate pudding last night. So I won't have any tonight and see how that does!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
Check the ingredients on your chocolate pudding, it probably has cocoa in it instead of chocolate :-)

I'm having a whole slew of peri-menopausal symptoms:
Hot flashes/Cold flashes
lightheadedness/dizziness/nausea
Wanting to cry a lot
Irregular periods

There's more, but I would say the flashing and wanting to cry all the time are the most troubling for me.

My gyn gave me Lo Loestrin FE, a very low does birth control, to help with the irregular periods and other symptoms. His instructions were if it helps keep taking it if I want to, if it doesn't help or I feel worse stop taking it.

Well, it really didn't improve my symptoms and it did kill off my libido. So, I just took the first pack of pills and didn't start up the next one.

Some ideas from my friends for relief are:

Estraven
Vitamins made especially for menopause
Black Cohash

so I will start looking into those.

I'm really not interested in hormone replacement therapy. Fortunately, I work from home so I can put up with more symptoms than if I were working outside my home.

I have started to walk with my beginning goal of 30 mins at least 3 times a week. Immediately, I have noticed a remarkable improvement in my mood - I feel happier. Whenever I started walking before, I didn't have that result so this is interesting to me.

I also have too much weight on due to being in front of my computer all day every day. I'm sure if I can get even 20 pounds off, I'll simply feel that much better :-)

Tiger
Tiger
Oh my goodness, thank you Lisa!!! You are a blessing. Yes, they say coffee does not help but I am so not into giving it up as yet. Now I was not aware of stress, thank you - now I know I need to work on that end of things smile Does anyone know when they stop????? I am soon to be 53 and need to know there is an END(lol). From talking to other ladies, some are in their 60's and still having them. Yikes!!!
Originally Posted By: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
I'm starting to have hot flashes at night which can make sleeping very challenging. We all know how important it is to sleep well in order to function well during the day smile

Looking at various websites, it appears that stress is the #1 trigger for hot flashes. That is, if I can reduce stress levels, the hot flashes will diminish as well! A win-win! So it definitely seems key to get more yoga and meditation into my life.

It also seems like caffeine / chocolate trigger them and I did have sugar-free chocolate pudding last night. So I won't have any tonight and see how that does!

Tiger
Tiger
Hi Jeanne, I am trying very hard not to take any "hormones" but have tried everything else. I now dress in layers so that I can take stuff off or put it on (lol). Now the nights are a challenge, but thank goodness my boyfriend is working with me on that part - we half the bed, so I can do my "take the covers off & on" without waking him up smile Oh my goodness, where have you been all this time I was COMPLAINING in this forum - thank you SO MUCH for sharing. It does help to have some folks to talk with. Please keep us posted on anything you come across - I am always open to trying something NEW.
Originally Posted By: Jeanne - African Culture
Check the ingredients on your chocolate pudding, it probably has cocoa in it instead of chocolate :-)

I'm having a whole slew of peri-menopausal symptoms:
Hot flashes/Cold flashes
lightheadedness/dizziness/nausea
Wanting to cry a lot
Irregular periods

There's more, but I would say the flashing and wanting to cry all the time are the most troubling for me.

My gyn gave me Lo Loestrin FE, a very low does birth control, to help with the irregular periods and other symptoms. His instructions were if it helps keep taking it if I want to, if it doesn't help or I feel worse stop taking it.

Well, it really didn't improve my symptoms and it did kill off my libido. So, I just took the first pack of pills and didn't start up the next one.

Some ideas from my friends for relief are:

Estraven
Vitamins made especially for menopause
Black Cohash

so I will start looking into those.

I'm really not interested in hormone replacement therapy. Fortunately, I work from home so I can put up with more symptoms than if I were working outside my home.

I have started to walk with my beginning goal of 30 mins at least 3 times a week. Immediately, I have noticed a remarkable improvement in my mood - I feel happier. Whenever I started walking before, I didn't have that result so this is interesting to me.

I also have too much weight on due to being in front of my computer all day every day. I'm sure if I can get even 20 pounds off, I'll simply feel that much better :-)

Gecko
Gecko
Within the past week, my husband put his hand on me and realized I was sweaty. He was surprised & I was like "told you". I wake up at night with my hair soaked in sweat, my pillow is wet, and of course, I'm totally covered with sweat. I just toss my part of the covers toward the middle of the bed and fall back to sleep - until I'm freezing cold! LOLs

Like you, I'm not giving up my coffee. I only had two cups in the morning. As for the stress, well I have two teenaged girls and work several jobs from home. Unless I get rid of everyone in my home, the stress will remain :-)

I'm waiting another 10 days or so and then I'll try some vitamins or something. If I come across something that seems to help, I'll definitely mention it here.

I did read somewhere that the symptoms can last anywhere from a few years to 8 or more years.

Tiger
Tiger
Girl, I am so GLAD I have you and Lisa to talk to. I felt I was going to go CRAZY (lol). The night sweats which some folks don't realize are different from the hot flashes. And yes, I now take my bath twice a day. Like to feel fresh after getting home - but need to make sure I am fresh when I leave out the next day smile I guess in regards to the stress, we need to figure out ways to DEAL with it, not ELIMINATE it as like you that is not possible (lol). That is too many years to be putting up with this, and the challenge is to figure out when the symptoms began so you can calculate those years? I know they say you have to NOT have had a cycle for ONE year to be in full menopause (pre-menopause is for those times of irregular cycles - and may already be having hot flashes & night sweats), and I finally did this after thinking I was home free - only to have it "pop up" 3 or 5 months into the year (lol). Learn't my lesson to always have something in my purse during my pre-menopause in 2009. From going to one that had a regular cycle each month, I was about ready to shoot myself. Glad pre-menopause is over with. Talk later smile
Originally Posted By: Jeanne - African Culture
Within the past week, my husband put his hand on me and realized I was sweaty. He was surprised & I was like "told you". I wake up at night with my hair soaked in sweat, my pillow is wet, and of course, I'm totally covered with sweat. I just toss my part of the covers toward the middle of the bed and fall back to sleep - until I'm freezing cold! LOLs

Like you, I'm not giving up my coffee. I only had two cups in the morning. As for the stress, well I have two teenaged girls and work several jobs from home. Unless I get rid of everyone in my home, the stress will remain :-)

I'm waiting another 10 days or so and then I'll try some vitamins or something. If I come across something that seems to help, I'll definitely mention it here.

I did read somewhere that the symptoms can last anywhere from a few years to 8 or more years.

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 04/29/11 11:24 AM.
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
I'm at the starting stages...I didn't mind too much during the winter - though some wondered why I was still wearing tank tops...lol..., it's getting worse as it gets warmer out.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Tiger
Tiger
Okay, and where were you when I was suffering last year and BEGGING on this forum for some help smile Glad to see you jumped in and joined. Yep, sounds like you are on your way to joining us (lol). Have you thought about getting on hormones? Or do you plan to see it through naturally?
Originally Posted By: Dianne W - Editor
I'm at the starting stages...I didn't mind too much during the winter - though some wondered why I was still wearing tank tops...lol..., it's getting worse as it gets warmer out.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Many women have benefited from using natural progesterone cream for these and other menopausal symptoms. This is because chemicals in our food and the environment (and sometimes lifestyle factors) cause hormone imbalances leading to what is called "estrogen dominance". Some very prevalent chemicals simulate the effects of estrogen, sometimes much stronger and longer lasting than what the body makes.

Dr. John Lee did groundbreaking studies on the benefits of natural progesterone, and wrote some good books about it.

There are natural remedies, herbs, nutrition, and lifestyle changes that can bring hormones back into balance. You can go to Dr. Mercola's website and do searches on "hot flashes" and "estrogen dominance" to find many articles with helpful information. There are lots of other sources as well. I check Dr. Mercola's site often for health issues because he compiles articles, shows sources and studies, and follows the articles with his professional opinions.

Cheers!

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
I'm going to do my best to see it through naturally. Well that's the plan for today anyway....LOL....

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.