Page 1 of 2 1 2
#675713 04/06/11 10:36 AM
G
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
G
Hi Everyone

How is your 2011 job search coming along? Have you updated your resume this year or are you still using your old one page resume from last year?

Maybe my latest article will help you:

Modern Day Resume - One Page Or Two

Gwendolyn Thompson, Job Search Editor
Job Search Website
Job Search Forum

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
Hi Gwendolyn - Yes I am still using last year's resume (lol) = have not gotten a NEW job as yet. The last one I had ended in January 2011. But I promise I will update accordingly. Thanks for thinking of us smile

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Our organization no longer accepts resumes. It's all electronic now and resumes are now back to being applications.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Tiger
Tiger
Thanks Dianne, yes - the "electronic" way is the way to go smile And the sad part is a lot of folks REFUSE to learn how to submit their stuff online.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
The sad part is that many, many employers are going electronic. I've seen people that are very sloppy in filling out the applications electronically because they are so long. They miss out on a lot of jobs that way. Long electronic applications are very discouraging but patience sometimes breeds success (a job)

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Tiger
Tiger
LOL Dianne - I use to be one of those "sloppy" folks. Now I take the time to fill them out. The only challenge right now with not having a computer at home - one has to make sure you can finish up the online stuff before you get booted off smile And the next challenge are those sites that do not allow you to SAVE and come back (lol). You either finish up the entire process or RESTART the next time you get back online. But those I don't stress out over, as I am so into doing what I can with my present circumstances. Thanks for the feedback smile

Originally Posted By: Dianne W - Editor
The sad part is that many, many employers are going electronic. I've seen people that are very sloppy in filling out the applications electronically because they are so long. They miss out on a lot of jobs that way. Long electronic applications are very discouraging but patience sometimes breeds success (a job)

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 04/19/11 12:18 PM.
J
J
I got my desired job this year and changed my resume format too.The article link that you have provided was really helpful.Thanks!

Jay_Z #700323 07/06/11 11:16 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello everyone,

It is vital to keep your resumes up to date (every 6 months) with all the new skills and experience and training and education you may have added. It is also a spur for each not sit on our collective laurels and to ensure you are caring about your continuing education points in whatever field you are in.

This is an electronic world yes, but many many companies still like to see first hand summaries and are not all geared up for applications online. They by their nature have to be force fields as it were, so there is not always the right space to fill in somethimes very important detail. That is when a straight paper resume steps into the gap.

How long should a resume be? No straight answer. It really depends on what you have done and want to do etc. 1 to 5 pages arguable with a midline at 3 pages being okay. This is unless there is a specific request for length. Then listen to that as well as all other 'instructions and requests' from the prospective employer. No illustrations, no colour printing, plain paper and black print, spell checks and truthfully and correctly presented.

Make sure you are registered with the right institutions and clubs memberships, subscriptions etc. are up to date and current. Licences? Legislation? Make sure you are always current. Do not wait for things to happen then get current. Stay current. And that goes for motor vehicle licences, travel documents and all and all. This advice goes for anyone doing any type of job at any stage of career development. You make yourself employable, no-on else. You have to be a stand out POPPY.

If you ran a company or were a hiring authority somewhere, what kind of person would you employ? Think it through then become that kind of person and you will be a winner and have a choice.

Do not think recession. Many people don't. Be one of those that doesn't.

Bossy boots signing out now!

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
Tiger
Tiger
Hi Lestie:

We could use you in the UNEMPLOYMENT forum, and I am being serious!!!!

With my resume, I vary the length and contents depending on what I am trying to accomplish. I freelance around my real jobs and find that I need to make different types of info available to BOTH my "potential" client or employer.

Thanks for the info - helpful as usual! :wink"

Originally Posted By: Lestie - ContainerGardens
Hello everyone,

It is vital to keep your resumes up to date (every 6 months) with all the new skills and experience and training and education you may have added. It is also a spur for each not sit on our collective laurels and to ensure you are caring about your continuing education points in whatever field you are in.

This is an electronic world yes, but many many companies still like to see first hand summaries and are not all geared up for applications online. They by their nature have to be force fields as it were, so there is not always the right space to fill in somethimes very important detail. That is when a straight paper resume steps into the gap.

How long should a resume be? No straight answer. It really depends on what you have done and want to do etc. 1 to 5 pages arguable with a midline at 3 pages being okay. This is unless there is a specific request for length. Then listen to that as well as all other 'instructions and requests' from the prospective employer. No illustrations, no colour printing, plain paper and black print, spell checks and truthfully and correctly presented.

Make sure you are registered with the right institutions and clubs memberships, subscriptions etc. are up to date and current. Licences? Legislation? Make sure you are always current. Do not wait for things to happen then get current. Stay current. And that goes for motor vehicle licences, travel documents and all and all. This advice goes for anyone doing any type of job at any stage of career development. You make yourself employable, no-on else. You have to be a stand out POPPY.

If you ran a company or were a hiring authority somewhere, what kind of person would you employ? Think it through then become that kind of person and you will be a winner and have a choice.

Do not think recession. Many people don't. Be one of those that doesn't.

Bossy boots signing out now!

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello everyone and Angela,

Thankyou for your comments AJS(?) and please feel free to cross post cut and paste and pass on anything I say to your site if it is within BellaOnline, you would be very welcome and who knows, if it helps just one more person then there we go, it's that starfish thang again!

I have all sorts of two-cent pieces to spend. This piggy bank is always open for BellaOnline business!

Looking for work is hard and testing and tiring but YOU are a special someone who is looking for the right employer and there is a special employer looking for the right someone - YOU.

So you have to remember that if you multiply your skills by all the experience and talent that you have to offer, there are a lot of people just waiting for you to call!

Cheers and ongoing good luck to everyone.

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dianne W - Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.