Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Linda19 #670334 03/15/11 10:11 AM
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Linda:

I am so jealous of the fact that you and your son have that SPECIAL bond. You do not find that these days with families so spread out and of course every child and parent is different. I hope to one day have that with my only child, a girl. Right now, we begin to get on each other's nerves after 24 hours of being around each other smile Thanks for stopping in and sharing!

Originally Posted By: Linda - Islam
Hi,

I am 53 this year and from the UK. I have been a full time, single mother for most of my life, had my own businesses and at times lived on state benefits and now live with my eldest son.

I have no income. I could claim state benefits, but the pressure of being made to take just any kind of work to satisfy their statistics, is not something I am prepared to put up with for less than �60/$97 a week.

I have applied for hundreds of jobs and sent out hundreds of CVs, all for positions I am more than capable of filling. I would say that of all the applications I sent out I had 10 replies at the most. Online or by post, no one seems to respond to negative applications anymore.

I am lucky my son is happy for me to live with him. I would enjoy working but I am not prepared to make someone else rich by my hard work. If I do work again it will be for myself. I just need to come up with a viable business idea.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Lori:

I am in the USA and feel the same way that Linda does. What words of "wisdom" do you have to pass OUR way? Thanks smile

Originally Posted By: Lori Chidori - Marriage
Hi Linda,

What do you mean when you say "negative applications?"

I agree that women our age--or people of any age, really--will find success becoming entrepreneurs. We can't find a place for us in the traditional ranks; we need to carve out our own place in the world. That is good news because there never is real success working as a corporate cog. You're right about making someone else rich with your hard work!

What type of work would you like to do? Maybe I can help from here in the US. I went to this great conference and met people from different parts of the world who have businesses and would like to expand into different countries.

Chi

B
Parakeet
Parakeet
B
I thnk in the upcoming years, those who are successful are going to be the ones who create their own work. I see it among my 25 year old daughter's friends. They take a college degree and do something unexpected with it, forging their own path.

It used to be that people could work for one company and retire after 20-30 years but now most people can't do that. Older people are working longer, if they can, because they need the money and have seen their retirement nesteggs vanish. I read a lot of articles on the boomer generation and there is much animosity out there among the young that the oldsters should just get out of the way and leave the jobs to the young. They'd probably love to be can't afford it!

I also read a lot of retirment blogs and it's true that people in midlife tend to reinvent themselves because they see the life behind them and want something different for the rest of their life, maybe something they've always wanted to do bu never did or some passion they've never pursued. They realize if they don't do it now, they may never get to.

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi BoomerGal, thanks for stopping by and responding to my post smile

Do you have any suggestions on how someone age 52 would reinvent herself and still be able to pay those "famous" bills?

I am in a training program that ends April 14th and I get a certificate that says I am ready to work. Apparently with the recession, the President designated funds for this program and a lot of employers now DEMAND this piece of paper.

While I am excited about the possible job, I firmly believe in "multiple income sources" - a job or two along with some freelancing.

I have read various posts on this site and of course talked with others, but it seems that your LOCATION has a lot to do with your "income" choices.

Would appreciate any tips - thanks smile

Originally Posted By: BoomerGal
I thnk in the upcoming years, those who are successful are going to be the ones who create their own work. I see it among my 25 year old daughter's friends. They take a college degree and do something unexpected with it, forging their own path.

It used to be that people could work for one company and retire after 20-30 years but now most people can't do that. Older people are working longer, if they can, because they need the money and have seen their retirement nesteggs vanish. I read a lot of articles on the boomer generation and there is much animosity out there among the young that the oldsters should just get out of the way and leave the jobs to the young. They'd probably love to be can't afford it!

I also read a lot of retirment blogs and it's true that people in midlife tend to reinvent themselves because they see the life behind them and want something different for the rest of their life, maybe something they've always wanted to do bu never did or some passion they've never pursued. They realize if they don't do it now, they may never get to.

B
Parakeet
Parakeet
B
Angela, I have a section on my boomer blog with "money making ideas, which includes how to turn a hobby or passion into a stream of income and various other things.

I'm 60 so I know it's hard to reinvent yourself when you're over 50. I'm helping my sister set up a blog for extra income. She was making $60,000/yr and suddenly lost her job a year or so ago.

AT least with online stuff, people don't necessarily know how old you are as agism does exist in the job world for sure.

Here's a link to the articles on my website. Maybe you can find something to help you out there.

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Thank you BoomerGal, I will stop by and check out your site smile
Originally Posted By: BoomerGal
Angela, I have a section on my boomer blog with "money making ideas, which includes how to turn a hobby or passion into a stream of income and various other things.

I'm 60 so I know it's hard to reinvent yourself when you're over 50. I'm helping my sister set up a blog for extra income. She was making $60,000/yr and suddenly lost her job a year or so ago.

AT least with online stuff, people don't necessarily know how old you are as agism does exist in the job world for sure.

Here's a link to the articles on my website. Maybe you can find something to help you out there.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.