Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Remember it's not just for kids.

The red planet has no little green men, but it's a fascinating place. It has a mountain three times the height of Everest and a deep valley that dwarfs the Grand Canyon. Although Mars has no liquid water on the surface, if the southern polar icecap melted, it could cover the planet 36 feet deep.

Mars Facts for Kids

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Excellent! Mars is by far the most interesting planet (besides Earth, of course). I wrote a children's book about the red planet a couple years ago for World Book Publishing.

Although Mars currently has no liquid water on the surface, liquid water may exist in underground reservoirs, from which it briefly bursts onto the surface before rapidly vaporizing.

Also, although Mars has no humanoid-made canals, it does have dried up river beds that flowed with liquid water more than 3 billion years ago.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I love your articles Mona, always so full of information. Has 'Spirit' been lost to us forever? Is 'Opportunity' still transmitting? Great article.

Linda Heywood

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
also, considering the fact the extremophile microbes have been found deep below the ground, in conditions of extreme pressure and no sunlight, on Earth, it is possible that similar microbes may exist on Mars... they could have migrated below the surface when surface conditions became too harsh.

That's why I want geologist-astronauts to visit Mars... to see what they dig up. Robotic rovers are fun and cool, but they will not answer our questions about life. We need to send humans there to answer those questions.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
You wrote a book about Mars! How cool!

Yes, certainly much more to say about Mars than could be done in one article, especially an introductory one where I try to find interesting things, but keep it simple. For example, I think that much of the reponsibility for the loss of the Martian atmosphere is the lack of a magnetosphere, not just the low gravity. But I haven't felt up to dealing with magnetic fields in a basic article. Some day will do Mars for grown-ups.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Linda, thanks for your kind comments.

They haven't given up on spirit despite the silence which has lasted over a year now. They're still trying contact over a wide range of frequencies.

Opportunity is still beavering away and apparently en route to Endeavor crater.

I love those little rovers. Even though I know this is foolish anthropomorphising on my part. smile

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.