Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#670534 03/15/11 05:49 PM
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
"People are still reading blogs, and other content. But for the creation of amateur content, their heyday for the wider population has, already passed. The short head of blogging thrives. It's long tail, though, has lapsed into desuetude." explains Guardian writer Charles Arthur.

This is the best thing I've read on blogging in a while but I heard this 3 years ago from better sources.

Don't you just love the word deseutude? (idleness, inactivity, abandonment, desertion, neglect; abeyance, dormancy, latency, quiescence)

Last edited by ExerciseEditor; 03/15/11 05:53 PM.

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
Koala
Koala
J
Did you see that movie about Julia Childs and the woman who blogged about working her way through the cookbook recipes? When I saw it, I was thinking that her success had to have been in the very early days of blogging as very, very few would acquire thousands of readers, virtually overnight, without a huge marketing campaign.

I think those who make a success of blogging anymore have blogs about making money, they are selling programs and ebooks, have huge email campaigns and the like. They don't just blog about their favorite recipes and such.

Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
What you're saying is true. I just wrote a huge article on this. Some of the most successful bloggers who made it big time started back in 2003.

Adventures of Diet Girl (book)
Secret Diary of A Call Girl (book and t.v. show)
Julia and Julia (book and movie)
The Pioneer Woman (2 books)
The Daily Apple (books and supplement line)

Their products came after their blogs and so tons of people figured this amount of success could by achieved by anybody with a passion for their topic but by 2008 "Technorati, which runs a search engine for blogs, found that only 7.4 million out of the 133 million blogs the company tracks had been updated in the past 120 days. That translates to 95 percent of blogs being essentially abandoned"

Blogging is not a business but it is a killer way to boost traffic to your business website so you can then build relationships with visitors and they buy what you have to offer which can be anything from ebooks to bootcamp classes to vitamix blenders to life coaching.

Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
Also I forgot to answer your question. I did see Julie and Julia and liked it a lot. I've also watched Secret Diary of a Call Girl (not for the overly scrupulous or easily offended). I wonder what other movies based on blogs are out there. If you know of any please let me know.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OK - I know this may be narrow minded of me, being the TV ed and all - but I can't bear to watch 'The Secret Diary of a Call Girl' as I believe it glamourises prostituion, and in my opinion most call girls have a thoroughly degraded and miserable life. I also think the story lines are unrealistic and sensational.

Re: blogs. I'm thinking of having one myself - though do not believe it will lead to instant wealth and fame, particularly after reading this thread! Thanks for that.

Eileen O�Sullivan
BritishTelevision Ed
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
I agree about prostitutes living a degraded miserable life but that show isn't any worst than the antics of Kim Kardashian (who's a different type of prostitute in my opinion) or most other morons with reality t.v. shows that go around acting like complete hookers i.e. Snookie on Jersey whatever, most of the Housewives of (pick your city), and tons of other shows like that. Even Samantha on SATC was a bit of a hooker.

I've caught episodes of all types of shows before I gave up t.v. a few years back which was my reason for finally giving up the t.v. I find it hilarious when people judge a show like SDCG. Most of what's on t.v. is legalized prostitution. Tons of stars and reality t.v. show chics get paid by the networks to be complete hookers on t.v.

I honestly don't think the series was trying to glamorize prostitution and I enjoyed watching her relationship with her best friend and the doc she meets in season 2. As with most shows like that it's less about the sex and more about the character's thoughts and emotions. I never did see season 3 though so I might rent that at some point.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Ah well - different opinions make the world go round. Glad it gave you a laugh! I think there is a big difference between a 'metaphorical' hooker - and many people think any sexual contract that gives a woman financial benefits, marriage for example, is a type of prostitution - and selling sex to strangers for money, which is usually a contract based on desperate need. Prostitution is prostitution - indisputably, and I believe the programme glamourises it.

And I didn't like her in Doctor Who either!

Eileen O�Sullivan
BritishTelevision Ed
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
Found another blogger who made it big, American lawyer Tucker Max who wrote about his drunken and sexual escapades on his website TuckerMax which has received millions of visitors since it was launched in 2002, making him an internet celebrity. His book, I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell, became a New York Times #1 bestseller. Proof that sex sells big time.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Wow, that's interesting. I'd never heard of Tucker Max, so what struck me is that a lawyer would be willing to (I imagine) torpedo his career like that. Sounds like it's all worked out for him, but what if the blog thing had not made him rich & famous? Would anyone still hire him as a lawyer?

--Maria

Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
No kidding! That was my thought too but then I figured he clearly wanted to be a celebrity and not an attorney. I think he's trying to get his book made into a movie but no luck with that.

How awful for all the women who got involved with this scumbag. I know Ms. Florida tried to sue him. Not sure if other womend tried too. I'm sure certain people would know who he was talking about even if he did not mention names. He attended Duke which is notorious for this kind of disgusting behavior.

According to Wiki "In May 2009, Max held a speaking engagement which was picketed by a feminist group at Ohio State University, who claimed that his writing promoted a culture of rape. In August 2009, the North Carolina State University Women's Center held a silent protest of I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell. The advertisements themselves were also vandalized in multiple cities...As well as criticism from feminists for his portrayal of women, He has been criticized for his credibility. People have also accused him of lying and misleading his characters as well as trying to silence negative critics against him."

I hope he BURNS in hell and all his supporters too. I really can't stand idiot losers like this guy. Clearly I have no issues expressing that : )

Last edited by ExerciseEditor; 03/24/11 11:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.