Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
BellaDeb #670896 03/17/11 03:35 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Deb -

You bring up great points. Each person wants to feel like they are respected and valued.

We are in week 4 of 6 in the ethics class forum. I was away Mon-Tue at a funeral so the forums were untouched by me until then. When I logged in on Wednesday I saw some of the most disrespectful language I'd ever seen in there. The way some of the students were referring to points of view on the issue at hand just floored me.

So I almost think the idea of discussing the issues in that class may be impossible now. I made my post, and looked at the issue from all sides, but I do not think I will engage any of the other students on the issues going forward. I am happy to discuss the issues here with you guys, and to be content with that.

I do not think the lack of respect presented in the class forum is something I could "fix", and in the two weeks that are left, it's better just to learn what I can learn and to be content with that.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I do not think 'fixing' it is something you should have to worry about Lisa, you are in a class to learn about ethics not to fix things. If no one else wants to learn as much as you that is their problem. Plus you do enough 'fixing' here!

The human being always wants what it does not need and needs what it does not want.

Linda Heywood

Linda19 #671070 03/17/11 07:50 PM
E
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
E
Oooooooooh - That's too bad Lisa but you did try. Now it's their loss. Unfortunately it's your loss too because you were looking forward to good discussions on the topics. That could have led to much learning on everyone's part. Such an interesting subject to create great discussions shouldn't be wasted at the higher learning level but it has been in this case.

I really admire your restraint. I would probably be tempted to post some of my thoughts on those discussions if I were in that class, but looking at it from a distance, I can see that it would not be appreciated by students who should know better anyway at this level. Only the instructor would be able to accomplish anything at all and even that is debatable.

I have certainly learned something about what students should be learning in secondary school. This has also verified my suggestion in my article on "Students Responsibilities in Online Discussions" that students should treat their classmates with respect.

Good luck with the discussion boards in the rest of your courses Lisa.

Elizabeth Stuttard
Distance Learning
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I agree that it's not worth your time for a class that will end in two weeks. Do what you do to get your learning from it and then post here with us. smile

Jilly #673276 03/27/11 09:51 PM
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
The teacher did send a global message out about the disrespectful language and things have quieted down again. We're in the last week of class and then it's done - which to me is a shame. I love the topic. But maybe it's good it was over with this particular group of individuals in this class.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Patricia PN - DL Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.