Next Thread
Print Thread
#668016 03/07/11 02:21 AM
A
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
A
Have you helped an elderly relative write about their life? Or have you written your own? My article this week gives a few tips to get started.

I'm trying to help Dad write his history and would love any other tips or ideas you want to share from your own experience.

Alice, Senior Living Editor
Senior Living Website
Senior Living Forum

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Hi Alice,

I am currently writing my husbands life story. He is a remarkable man and he is a senior. I married an older man, and because he is such a great person I wanted the world to know the challenges he has had in his life and the journeys he has taken that made him the man he is today. I think that everyones life history is a story within itself. My husband is 69 years old and remarkable. Good luck!

Tuculia Washington, Daughters Editor
Daughters Website
Daughters Forum

Live, Laugh and Love
�Making a difference in the world one person at a time�
A
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
A
That is so true about each life history being a story of its own. Everyone handles challenges in their own unique way. It's important for people to tell their story. Learning what others faced and how they moved beyond it might help a younger person think about challenges and choices in their own life.

Alice, Senior Living Editor
Senior Living Website
Senior Living Forum

Z
Z
That is so true about each life history being a story of its own.

W
W
Most likely, Alice, you have considered using a tape-recorder or filming/videoing your father or the two of you in conversation. If audio taped you can transcribe the tape and type it up as a memoir. With a video you can also transcribe the words so you can have both a visual/audio and something that can be read. I have interview many elder people with a hand held mic and they generally get used to it and are not self-conscious. A lot depends on how comfortable you are. If you are relaxed, smiling and engaging in your questions you can get some amazing stories. This is your dad, so hopefully he's really comfortable around you and it just becomes a fun and uplifting time together. Here's another idea...NPR has something called Story Core ( I think that's the name) where they, at one time--maybe even currently, have had places set up around the country in librarys and community center, etc. where people could come, sit down, pick up a mic and tell their story, which then goes into the archives of all the other real life stories by real people telling their own stories. Some of these are aired over the radio, but I'm sure you can go online and find the archives where you can listen to various stories. I present this in case you are having a hard time getting started--maybe the both of you could listen to some of these together....or better yet find out where there is a Story Core booth near you. I see you posted this a couple of months ago,so you may be well on your way by now...good luck, have fun and I hope this has helped. Wynne

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Hey Alice,

You have a lot of really good suggestions, were you able to use any of them to get started or are you having a time still? Bottom line, how is it coming along?

Tuculia Washington, Daughters Editor
Daughters Website
Daughters Forum

Live, Laugh and Love
�Making a difference in the world one person at a time�
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Your dad's history could be one of the most important books you ever write. Your family background and heritage has essential information for both your dad, your immediate family and those hundreds of people who are (and will be) his friends, classmates, colleagues... well, you get the idea.

Sexy Lingerie
Love waits for one thing, the right moment.

Moderated by  DeboraD 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.