Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Lisa what an incredible photo! It looks great. Do you think you can keep it this organised?

Also query for me (difficulties in translation between US and UK) - what are FOREVER STAMPS?

Last edited by Asha - Scottish Culture; 03/03/11 05:53 PM.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Yes I want to know the same question, what are forever stamps?

Well done on cleaning the draw!

Linda Heywood

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Asha -

My hope is that now all the random junk is out of there that I'll have little opportunity to put new stuff into there. I guess we'll see!

In the US, regular correspondence-type letters in regular envelopes cost 44 cents right now. So if I wanted to mail letters to friends I'd have to get 44 cent stamps to stick on those envelopes. However let's say in 3 years the post office raises their rates to 45 cents a letter. Now I have all these 44 cent stamps lying around and have to buy 1 cent stamps to add on to my letters. It is a nightmare and it's why my drawer has all sorts of random stamps in it.

So what they did starting in 2007 is issue (in addition to other stamps) a new Forever stamp. This stamp is bought at the current rate. So if I buy it now it costs 44 cents each. But it is ALWAYS good for a regular letter. So in 3 years if the rates go up to 45 cents those stamps are now good for the 45 cents for a letter. I never have to worry about what the current rate is! I can just use a forever stamp and be done with it!

It makes my life so much easier, but I still have to do something with all these old stamps. It's such a hassle to piece them together on envelopes.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Lisa is this an investment opportunity? cool buy loads of stamps and sell them on in ten years time - could make your fortune! (that's presuming you haven't made it already...).

We have first and second class stamps in the UK and I've never had a problem if I've used old ones. The problem only comes if you uee a stamp that has a particular amount on it (in the UK it would normally be down to pence).

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
That is a brilliant idea, must inform the Post Office about this. They are always putting up the price of stamps in the UK with very little warning.

It's funny but I rarely use stamps any more, yet when I was younger I was always queuing up in the Post Office for stamps!

Maybe those that say 1st class and 2nd class are like forever stamps in the UK Asha?

Linda Heywood

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Asha, I have considered that for a possible investment, but i never went so far as to actually buy enough stamps to do it.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I think the stamp price increase is slower than what you could get with a checking account interest rate, although I suppose it'd be worth investigating smile

Asha - when we buy a stamp it always has a value on it - with the exception of the new forever stamps. So before if the letter rate was 42 cents you would buy a stamp that said "42 cents" on it and use it for first class mail. Then when they raised the rate to 44 cents now you'd have to buy additional 2 cent stamps and on your letters put one 42 cent stamp plus one 2 cent stamp to add up to the new 44 cent total, to use up your remaining 42 cent stamps.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Lisa, i actually have a few old stamps that do not have a cent value on them. For those I have to actually take them to the post office and ask what they are worth. The postal people then have to go look it up - they don't remember either. smile

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Oh right one or two christmas stamps were like that. They have specific values but its like a guessing game.

Low Carb Forum
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
You can find out the value of those old stamps on the USPS website.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Tammy - Cleaning Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/13/24 08:03 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/10/24 08:39 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/06/24 02:11 PM
Curiosity and Learning
by Angie - 04/06/24 09:56 AM
Easy to Sew Pillowcases
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/03/24 04:38 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/31/24 01:10 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.