Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#667607 03/05/11 12:47 PM
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Everyone:

I just finished reading the awesome posts for this site and wanted to add my "two cents" if that is okay smile

First of all, I am age 52 and found that the "internet" job sites did not work for me. I had to "hustle" and locate my last temporary job and had to relocate for 6 months to complete it.

It seems that with the age factor along with the recession, one has to figure out "alternative and creative" ways to harness in some much need income.

Your thoughts?

Thanks smile

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Angela I heard an interesting interview on the radio the other day that was pointing out that whilst unemployment for young people is high, there are a larger proportion of people 50+ who are finding it really difficult to get work. Not sure if the pattern is the same in the US, but here a lot of people who have alway worked (many highly skilled) are finding it extremely difficult to get employment.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Angela -

It's a little confusing when you underline words, it makes them look clickable smile On the web it's usually better to bold or italicize words to highlight them, because underlines are reserved for clicking!

I know a lot of young people who are struggling to find work because all the jobs are being taken by older people who have more experience. So I think it's tough on all sides. I have several young-20s people in my family who can't find any jobs at all because they are always passed over for someone who has more experience and is now willing to take less money. So I suppose it's a good question of who is getting the jobs smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Hi Everyone - this is Kathie, your Midlife host. I have been keeping my ears opened and eyes peeled on this subject. What I have gleaned thus far is, whether in a poor economy or not, many people in Midlife must re-invent themselves at this point in their lives - why, I do not know - but they very often go in a completely different direction than what they have been doing. I have noted that even celebrities re-invent their personna, their style.

I am in Midlife and I am at that juncture at this time. I was an Exec. Secretary/Assistant my entire life (over 25 years) and it is not something I want to go back to. I worked in Manhattan for some of those years and have many good and not so good experiences to be told.

Having said that, I found that 'Homecaregiving' was something that interested me. I love helping people (in particular the elderly) and I am a very compassionate person. John Tesh and his wife who is a former actress is Connie Sellecca - they have a website that has all types of information on this subject. I truly enjoy caregiving work. However, that pay scale might not fit your needs.

There is a course that can be taken at the vocational schools which is roughly a 9 month course and you could be working in a clinic, doctors' office or hospital upon receiving your completion of the course. You can go to a search engine and check out 'medical assistant' or 'certified medical assistant' and find a school in your area. More often than not financial help may be available if you qualify.

Kathie LoMonaco
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Kathie -

That is an awesome idea - to use this period to finally do something you're interested in doing! I do know several people who, in their forties, decided they were sick of whatever path they were on and took on a new field which they enjoyed. They were so much happier!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Asha:

Yes, it is the same in the USA (lol). Some folks have resorted to dying their hair, but I am rebelling and still have my "salt & pepper".. Hey, when they see your birth date, they will know how old you are. So why waste my time? I am upfront when I apply for a job and feel that if age is going to be a problem, might as well save on my "time and gas" getting to the interview. But that is the "lazy" part of me.

Thanks for sharing smile

Originally Posted By: Asha - Scottish Culture
Angela I heard an interesting interview on the radio the other day that was pointing out that whilst unemployment for young people is high, there are a larger proportion of people 50+ who are finding it really difficult to get work. Not sure if the pattern is the same in the US, but here a lot of people who have alway worked (many highly skilled) are finding it extremely difficult to get employment.

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Welcome Kathie smile

And thanks for the AWESOME feedback...

Originally Posted By: Kathie, Midlife Host
Hi Everyone - this is Kathie, your Midlife host. I have been keeping my ears opened and eyes peeled on this subject. What I have gleaned thus far is, whether in a poor economy or not, many people in Midlife must re-invent themselves at this point in their lives - why, I do not know - but they very often go in a completely different direction than what they have been doing. I have noted that even celebrities re-invent their personna, their style.

I am in Midlife and I am at that juncture at this time. I was an Exec. Secretary/Assistant my entire life (over 25 years) and it is not something I want to go back to. I worked in Manhattan for some of those years and have many good and not so good experiences to be told.

Having said that, I found that 'Homecaregiving' was something that interested me. I love helping people (in particular the elderly) and I am a very compassionate person. John Tesh and his wife who is a former actress is Connie Sellecca - they have a website that has all types of information on this subject. I truly enjoy caregiving work. However, that pay scale might not fit your needs.

There is a course that can be taken at the vocational schools which is roughly a 9 month course and you could be working in a clinic, doctors' office or hospital upon receiving your completion of the course. You can go to a search engine and check out 'medical assistant' or 'certified medical assistant' and find a school in your area. More often than not financial help may be available if you qualify.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Hi,

I am 53 this year and from the UK. I have been a full time, single mother for most of my life, had my own businesses and at times lived on state benefits and now live with my eldest son.

I have no income. I could claim state benefits, but the pressure of being made to take just any kind of work to satisfy their statistics, is not something I am prepared to put up with for less than �60/$97 a week.

I have applied for hundreds of jobs and sent out hundreds of CVs, all for positions I am more than capable of filling. I would say that of all the applications I sent out I had 10 replies at the most. Online or by post, no one seems to respond to negative applications anymore.

I am lucky my son is happy for me to live with him. I would enjoy working but I am not prepared to make someone else rich by my hard work. If I do work again it will be for myself. I just need to come up with a viable business idea.

Linda Heywood

Linda19 #669750 03/13/11 04:29 PM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Hi Linda,

What do you mean when you say "negative applications?"

I agree that women our age--or people of any age, really--will find success becoming entrepreneurs. We can't find a place for us in the traditional ranks; we need to carve out our own place in the world. That is good news because there never is real success working as a corporate cog. You're right about making someone else rich with your hard work!

What type of work would you like to do? Maybe I can help from here in the US. I went to this great conference and met people from different parts of the world who have businesses and would like to expand into different countries.

Chi

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Negative applications - when they (the employers) have no intention of giving you an interview or employing you, so they do not even bother to acknowledge your application.

I didn't know how else to phrase it.

To be honest Lori, I have no idea what to do at the moment. Every day I think of something different I want to do. That is the problem when you are a jack of all trades but master of none.

I guess I would like to make money from writing but I have no idea how to go about that!

Linda Heywood

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.