Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#663157 02/15/11 07:52 AM
T
TennSu Offline OP
OP Offline
T
My partner and I just celebrated our first anniversary of our commitment ceremony (our home state of TN does not allow same sex marriages--YET). In searching many lesbian sites I have not seen the issues that surround "merging" addressed. We are in our 50's and both owned our own homes. We decided to sell my home and make her house our home. I was very naive about the issues that have come up in the "merging" process. Can anyone share their experience, helpful hints, and any advice?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Merging can be a very difficult process, and can often make little problems in the relationship really big problems. My partner and I have been living together for 2 years. At first I put all of my things into storage, as she had a completely furnished house and the only things I brought with me were personal belongings and my childrens things. But paying for storage seemed silly, so eventually i sold or gave away most of the stuff I had.

There are occasional spats about things being "hers" or not mine, and the fact that if something were to happen and things didn't work out for us, I would be starting over from scratch. But to me things are just things, my family is more important than any thing I could buy.

The most difficult challenge for us has been the merging of our family. I have 2 boys ages 5 and 3, who are autistic and deaf. She has a 12 yr old boy, who is adhd. Needless to say we have our hands full lol. We were both raised very differently and have very different parenting styles. It makes it very difficult to raise our kids together, but we compromise and try to stay united on issues that may arise, and remind ourselves that at the end of the day we have learned a lot from each other, and grown as individuals as well as a family!

This is a good topic, I am sorry that the merging process has been so difficult for you. Not knowing many details it is hard to offer any advice, but communication is always a great place to start!

G
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
G
Congratulations on your 5th Anniversary. Not exactly sure what issues you are going through but wishing you the best.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.