Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#664506 02/20/11 12:30 PM
D
OP Offline
D
When you are experiencing extreme stress, an argument,a loss, or a grade/observation/evaluation that you feel you didn't deserve,you are literally out of your mind and into your senses - fight, flight or freeze mode. The inflammatory process is upsetting your physical and emotional balance, but then I don't want to stress you out with how damaging the stress cycle is for you - I have a feeling that you already know that.

Sure, meditation is great; however, many of us who are not experienced at meditation will not have the patience to do so when we are in the throes of stress. Stress management means preparation - during the good times to set up for the bad times - practicing reinterpretation of the negatives into gentler positives until it becomes automatic. This is my personal form of meditation!

Another "meditation" I practice, based on the science of stress, is to move stress hormones out of my body in order to think straight. You can combine this with meditation: Take a walk in the light with headphones (sound therapy). This is a moving meditation. When you are out in nature, you can reset your natural rhythm and reboot your system.

No one can trivialize you, but you! We all have bad memories from grades - the red letter F for failure. I have seen women keep achieving higher degrees just to prove their self-worth - they enjoy getting graded and seeing the A or the high score on their exam. These grades help them feel better about themselves. One woman wrote me that she is on her third PhD because she feels like an impostor; what can she do to stop?

Instead find your creative compensation, what you love to do and are good at doing and soar... To paraphrase Ralph Waldo Emerson - great people are often misunderstood and under-appreciated in their time period. Balance external validation with self-love.

Debbie Mandel, Stress Mgmnt EdStress Mgmnt Site Stress Mgmnt Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Debbie -

This is fantastic information, thank you so much! I love the idea of walking in the sunshine with relaxing music, it combines so many stress-releasing things in one powerful package!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By: DebbieMandel
...Another "meditation" I practice, based on the science of stress, is to move stress hormones out of my body in order to think straight. You can combine this with meditation: Take a walk in the light with headphones (sound therapy). This is a moving meditation...

Originally Posted By: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
...I love the idea of walking in the sunshine with relaxing music, it combines so many stress-releasing things in one powerful package!

Hi Debbie / Lisa,

It's really interesting that you both mention the meditative aspect of walking. I was recently asked to review a book on walking the Appalachian Trial. The author (walking 2,168 miles in under four months!) found that walking has a dramatic effect on Body, Mind and Soul!

See: Hike Your Own Hike

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Debbie/Lisa/Joy

Have any of you come across the work of William Bloom (psychologist and meditator)? His book The Endorphin Effect may be his best known. His website, if you have not come across it/him is here: William Bloom - great Writings (books and articles) section.

Last edited by Asha - Scottish Culture; 02/22/11 07:30 PM.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

Shark
Shark
Thanks Debbie, your article was really interesting. In today's world when everyone is running like an express train, stress management has become very crucial part of our lives and its important as well otherwise our heads are going to blast. LoLzz, I consider exercise as the best stress buster. Yoga helps even more.

J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By: Asha - Scottish Culture
Debbie/Lisa/Joy Have any of you come across the work of William Bloom (psychologist and meditator)? His book The Endorphin Effect may be his best known. His website, if you have not come across it/him is here: William Bloom - great Writings (books and articles) section.
Hi Asha, thanks for that info. (JOY)

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
When I am in the midst of extreme stress, there are some good ways for me to handle things and some ways that make everything magnified.

I think walking it off is the single best non-prescription-drug method I have found. I just walk for hours and hours, and things seem to work themselves out a little in my mind. It's even better to walk in the sun, or in a place with pretty scenery...but i sense the actual walking itself is the best thing for me.

Last edited by Jilly; 04/10/11 03:16 AM.
whitlock #678118 04/14/11 10:14 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I manage extreme stress with humor. People are always commenting on my funny Facebook quotes, but the more stressed I am, the funnier I get.

Elephant
Elephant
When things get that bad I take off! I guess that would be the flight response. When I lost my job back in 2004 I had this horrible feeling things were about to get even uglier than they already were (financially) so I drove to CA with a friend, walked around in L.A., walked around Venice Beach, drove around Hollywood. We hardly spent any money but had a nice relaxing time. It's good to get away from your problems sometimes. Puts things into perspective so you can move on and find solutions.

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

R
Amoeba
Amoeba
R
Hi Debbie. I've never came across these other techniques for managing stress that you've just shared. And, like the others I love the idea of sound therapy. I love nature but I've never thought of this method before. Nature does heal and refreshes...oh, the serenity, the quiet, it's being genuine. Thanks Debbie for sharing this

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  DebbieMandel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.