logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
As I finish a lane, I shove a toothpick up under the 'hump' & work out its form & appearance.

The way the odd/unsimilar shaped beads fit together helps give the project the character.

-B-
"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I don't know if I have asked this before, but are Lane and Lazy stitch about the same? Is there some significance to the "hump" or was it due to the irregular shaped beads available way back when and duplicated now as a tradition thing?

This weekend I asked one of the ladies who beads on canvas about painting it. She had never heard of that.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
OP Offline
I think they are basically the same -- the Blackfoot tribes called it lazy stitch and it is a bit looser so it moves and flows. Lane stitch is tighter and done by the upper plains tribes, west of the Mississippi: Cheyenne, Sioux, Arapaho, Kiowa, Crow, and others of the Great Plains. In lane stitch, as much thread or sinew as possible is used to fill the hole in the bead and pulled tightly -- giving a hard feel to the lanes and little movement. I think mine are too close together though.

The hump stitch is the Sioux style lane stitch, with one extra bead squeezed into the row to give the look of a hump. I do not know the significance of the hump -- but, it is a hallmark of Sioux bead work.

Painting on canvas: are acrylic paints used or plant dyes? Using plant dyes for drawing images on hide was done in the days of the ancestors. The drawings are called "pictorgraphs", like on the Lakota Winter Counts .

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 02/17/11 11:36 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Actually, Cheyenne & Arapaho lane stitch also 'humps'. It must be a cultural/regional characteristic.

An excellent study on the terminology of this beading styale is presented in theis article by Joe Rosenthal (Joe frequently conducts bead & quill classes at the Carolina Indian Seminar that I recently attended with the ribboned veteran shirt).
The History of the Term "Lazy Stitch"
He brings up that there is some that have called it 'hump stitch'.

<Per Nativetech.org> Until recently American anthropologists and beadworkers referred to 'lane' stitch as 'lazy' stitch (coined by William Orchard in 1920's), or derogatorily, 'lazy squaw stitch' (so-called by Benjamin Hunt in the 1950's). W. Ben Hunt wote a couple books on NA crafts & projects that addressed the capabilities and materials available to the post-WWII youth (in particular, the Boy Scouts) and hobbyist. His book, 'American Indian Beadwork' was co-authored by J.F. 'Buck' Burshears, who was the founder of the Boy Scout Troop in La Junta, Colorado that performs as the Koshare Indian Dancers - dance impressionists that travel nationwide.

I believe that lcp was referring to painting the stretched canvas that will be used in a beading project. The frame in my pictures with the Sioux Star is medium weight beige canvas painted with household latex. I recall the reasoning was the paint gave it strength & helped prevent fraying when cut-out. The edges are folded back under as it is sewn into the final project. The instructor that gave us the frames is mentioned in the last paragraph of Rosenthal's essay - Marshall Ellis. I may contact him & ask about the purpose & origination of painting the canvas...

-B-
The following is my own theory(ies) for the 'humped' lanes:

1) The method in which the threaded needle pierces the material to attach the short string of 8-12 beads, and the desire to keep a design that will adequately cover the project, would inherently lead to the arching of the strand. The hump could be avoided by the extra time consuming use of a second thread to hold down the strand at one or two places, similar to two-needle applique. Is this where the coined term of 'lazy stitch' may have evolved?

2) Prior to the introduction of the glass bead, decoration was done with strips (lanes) of quillwork. Did this carry over to the beading methods?

Again, my theories...

-B-
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I think you might be onto something. Beading is anything but "Lazy" and I never could figure out why someone would use that term for a stitch. But I could easily imagine a European watching an Indian bead leather and comment they were too lazy to secure the strand and eliminate the hump. European needlework is quite "Prim and Proper."

I've put loomwork on leather and then had the leather stretch and mess it up. I had assumed the humps might be for that reason, providing a little give in case the leather stretched.

The only quillwork I've done is using them as beads in jewelry. I really like the natural combined with the seed beads. The quills I have, when prepared with the tips folded over would equal about 8-12 beads in length. That makes sense, switching from quills to beads, one would probably first duplicate traditional patterns with the new material. The number of beads to approximate quill length would be used and the design would be laid out as if using quills.

Thanks for the information and the theories!

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
I've taken some classes in the quillwork that involves wrapping the rawhide strip. Even had a class where it was wrapping twist-ties on a flattened drinking straws. I'm sure that will be be added to my NA craft 'bucket list' one day. Right now it's Southern Plains mocs that top the roster - and beading them, too... OMG

Last edited by Beetlemess; 02/18/11 03:43 PM.

-B-
OP Offline
Are you going to fully bead the tops? Will you use lane stitch?

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Yes, lane stitch 'em to death... but first I got to get them cut out. They say to bead before assembling. I think with this pair I'll bead after I know they fit since you don't go all the way through the material when beading on leather.

The verdict on lanes & humps. Size 11/0, nine beads in 11mm wide rows.

Does that make sense? Still awaiting a reply to the reasoning behind painting canvas before beading on it.

Last edited by Beetlemess; 02/23/11 02:56 PM.

-B-
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Are you going to pre-assemble the mocs for fitting and then take them apart to bead?

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.