#657595 01/20/11 12:05 PM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
I posted in the other thread because I just assumed that I was in midlife but the other day when I went to the library, I picked up a local college class catalog for free classes for seniors. The eligible age group was 50+.

yikes. I just turned 50. I knew I was getting older but this really hit me. Am I officially a "senior?" My daughter laughed so hard and said, "No way!"

I don't feel old inside. I still feel young. Ok, at least in midlife. But a senior?

Wow, this will take some psychological adjustment. I'm not ready for seniorhood. Or maybe we just have to redefine it. Maybe 50 is the new 30. Cuz that's how I feel.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
No, NO, NOOOOO, I am no way a senior! My mum is a senior! I am still .. well I am 53 this year but I still feel young. NO NO NO I am not having this!

We cannot retire until we are 65 now so how is 50 a senior citizen?

The official age in the USA is 65 so google tells me! In fact most countries say 65.

So ya boo sucks to whoever thinks 50 is OLD!!!

Peace and hugs to all us oldies!

Linda Heywood

C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
LOL! When I turned 75 (2 years ago)I got an invitation to join my church's Senior Club. My immediate thought was,"I am NO WAY ready to be a Senior!"
The number really doesn't count, what does is how you feel and what you are doing with your life. I feel great, and I'm still working productively and enjoying every day. The Old Lady rocks!

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
OMG, Claybird. I never thought of you as a senior either! In your 70s?!?! No way! You do have a youthful spirit.

I just realized you are the same age as my aunt whom I am taking care of. She doesn't use a computer. She can't really manage a remote control or a cell phone properly. In fact, she no longer cooks and hasn't driven for decades now. The difference between the two of you is staggering.

And yes, YOU ROCK!!!

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Yes Claybird you do, my mother is the same age as you and is like Lori's aunt. She has never seen a computer, except my laptop which she ignores. She refuses to learn how to use the new digital freeview box I bought for her. She will have to use it when analogue television is switched off. She talks to the recorded message on my cell phone! She doesn't cook, stopped driving too and really hasn't the slightest interest in the world and all the wonderful things she could do.

I told her she could live for another 10 years or more. I hope I never lose interest in life like that.

Rock on Claybird

Linda Heywood

B
Parakeet
Parakeet
B
I think you're a senior when you start qualifying for discounts-lol. Most senior discounts start at either 55 or 62.

I've read that even groups like AARP are getting away from terms like "elderly" and "senior." We're baby boomers, boomers, "older Americans" etc.

I think it's possible to stay mentally young no matter what your age is in years. I just turned 60 but I don't feel "old." I'm active, take yoga and fitness classes, work on the computer and I text with my kids.

One thing I refuse to do tho is play video games! Recently my kids got iPhones (they're in their 20's and 30's) and now they have their faces stuck in the phones all the time playing games or uploading apps. Maybe that attitude makes me a little "old."

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Rock on BoomerGal and Claybird.

Linda Heywood

L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
They just raised the monthly metro card here in New York to $104.00 a month from like $89 a month. I'm 41 and was thinking thank God I'll be eligible for the senior discount in about 10 years, but when I looked, I found out you can't qualify until 65! I thought senior citizenship started at 52. I was so disappointed. LOL.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Hi, Kathie, Midlife Host here - just wanted to add my 2 cents - I guess you could look at it in this vein - being in "Midlife" has its benefits - such as movie theater tickets (when you reach a certain age - hey, discount!) - as most of us know many merchants give us Midlifers benefits once we reach either 55 (depending on which merchant) or 60, 62. My 'significant other' is 7 years older than me. About 7 or 8 years ago, when he was about 62 and I was 'only' 55 - we went to the movies and he shocked me by asking if we could BOTH have the SENIOR CITIZEN discount! OUCH! And, what's worse, the man looked at me and gave them to him! I was crushed that I passed for someone with the 'senior citizen' label. I chose to look at it as a perk rather than a negative. Maybe that's why they say youth is wasted on the young! by the time you realize what you've had all this time - you've popped into another category. It's just another label - why let it affect me/us when we have no control over it - unless, of course, you're Benjamin Button!

Kathie LoMonaco
Elephant
Elephant
If you plan on living past 100 then yes that is midlife but not a senior. A senior to me is somebody over 70. I've been working only with clients 50+ for some time now and the differences (physical and mental) really become more apparent at about 70.

I agree with you about 50 being the new 30 at least for those who take care of themselves. My clients who are 60 and take care of themselves are in much better shape than so many 30 and 40 year olds I know.

There are 20 year olds who create billlion dollar companies and 50 year olds who still can't manage to keep a job and there are 70 year olds who compete in bodybuilding or ironman's and 20 year olds who are too fat and tired to get off their couch and go for a walk. These days labels and numbers mean nothing : )

Have you ever taken the real age test?

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.