Now what was we discussing....?

-B-
"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
uhmmmm....beautiful bead and ribbon work. You keep inspiring me to work on my own projects.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Now, I need to admit that I contracted a NA in Wiscosin to do the shirt. She had the guidance of ribbons being scarlet & gold for Marine Corps & blue & gold for Navy on a material that was Vietnam era camouflage. Standing collar to resemble the choker collar on the dress uniform with elastic cuffs to permit my preference of pushing sleeves up when warm. She went with my concept of a Veteran Ribbon Shirt & added the arrowheads to signify a warrior. Since this was conducted via eBay, she posted to a select bidding (just me), but many others that saw the final product inquired as to her making them one. I have never heard if she pursued that endeavor.

-B-
OP Offline
I remember you telling us about that lady who worked on your shirt. She did a great job. I hope she is continuing to use those talents in helping others like you.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Beetlemess, I saw your beadwork was on canvas. I've seen several people beading on canvas, either loose or on a frame like yours. Other than being cheaper than leather, are there additional benefits to using canvas? What type is used, the pre-framed ones for painting? Or did you make the frame and attach a different type?

The small medallions I'm beading for the choker/earring set are on thin scrap leather. I'll be gluing a sturdier leather to the back, so I'm not too concerned with the thin leather tearing. However, I had the design for a beaded barrette pop into my head this weekend. It will be several inches wide and tall, in an oak tree pattern to match my daughter's bandolier bag.

She is rough on her stuff. Do you think canvas would be an easier for me and/or sturdier for her base for the beadwork? I'll still have to back it with a piece of leather to hide and secure the barrette base. I've never used canvas, so let me know what you think. Helpful tips always most graciously appreciated.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
I went looking to see if the seamstress, or should I say artist?, Mimike, was still posting on eBay. (Office system prevents surfing eBay, but Google search for images yielded a couple hits...). Did find a Camo Ribbin Shirt that sold on powwow.com for $60. It's on cotton camo, where as mine is of a poly-nylon. Have to say that I got a good bargain, although the back design is pretty cool!!!

The canvas was already framed by the instructors when I took the lane stitch class 4 years ago. The standard weight canvas was stapled onto the wood frame of 1"x1"x12". It was then painted over with interior latex housepaint. The instructor has a completly lane-stitched Lakota vest on painted canvas that he wore to the Saturday night circles the last 3 times I've gone down.
I recall the paint adds stiffness & prevents the threads from much shifting. Whereas the needle never goes completly through leather (esp brain-tanned), the chance of the stringing thread to break loose of the material is minimized. I'd recommend canvas, as I'm planning to do more of the Sioux Star pattern on the frame to make possible bags.
Just a engine search for canvas beadwork yielded some c 1910 plateau flat bags & some tabs. Even some plateau yoked dresses at Cowan's Auction house. Chippewa bandolier (c 1895) at Antiques Assoc. Must indicate that the lacking of hides available & the cost savings in using canvas was making an economic mark.

Couple weeks ago, there was a class on making canvas into a rawhide similar material to be painted. Looked good. They were making tobacco bags, but the instructor had made bonnet cases & parfleches.

-B-
Oh, I need to find the class notes from 4 years ago. There was some discussion of pre-framed canvas from the art stores. It had to do with the preparation of the canvas & there was certain types to avoid.

-B-
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Thanks for all the information! Hopefully you will stumble across those class notes at some point, but no rush on my account. I can't get started on the barrette until April. It seems that each time I get something cleaned from my plate, someone adds another two helpings. I'm sure there are guidelines on the internet for when I'm ready to begin.

I had no idea the use of canvas dated so far back. Thank you for soothing my traditional heart smile It makes sense, we use what we have. But I would NEVER have thought of painting the canvas! I have only seen people beading on canvas twice and it did not look painted. I wonder if they may have thinned the paint.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
OP Offline
I finished my peyote bracelet when I was away (staying with my mother). It turned out pretty nice. I will have to plan on having more beads available than what I did have. I ran out of one of the three colors near the end and had to make adjustments. Well...this was basically a practice/learning session for me.

Now I have to go find a square button to sew on for the closure. I will string some size 11 beads for the loop that will go around the button. I have a whole tin full of buttons, some antique, and not one square button in the right size or color. Button shopping is on my "to do" list.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Button, Button, who's got the button?

-B-
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.