Next Thread
Print Thread
#607501 06/28/10 10:31 AM
V
Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
V
I am super frustrated. I am the leader of a multi-age group of 18 girls ranging from Kindergarten to 7th grade. The girls don't show up for anything. Once our cookie sale was complete the girls stopped showing up for troop meetings and other events/outings. We did have a good turn out for the wildlife park outing we took with our cookie sale profits. The only girls who attended the meeting we had to practice for our ending ceremony were 2 leaders' daughters! Needless to say, we had to edit our ceremony down to just handing out badges and doing the simplest of bridging ceremonies. Earlier in the Spring we held a Silver Award pinning ceremony for the one girl who had put forth the effort to earn that award. The other Cadette age girls helped plan the evening and were very enthusiastic about it but yet not one of them showed up for it. I was disappointed, not to mention how hurt the Silver Awardee felt. At our end of the year ceremony we had the parents fill out a questionaire about what they and their daughters were wanting from Girl Scouts to try to get a better understanding and to see what we were doing wrong. All of the responses said they didn't want to stop troop meetings as soon as cookie sale was over and they just loved all the activities we were doing and they couldn't wait for our summer outings. We only had 4 girls attend day camp--three are leaders' daughters. We were asked to do a service project which was one thing the parents said they wanted us to do more of. Only three girls besides our own daughters showed up! The Cadette age girls only get together once a month for an activity. They pick the activity and the date but still the majority of them don't attend. I'm at my wit's end. I'm tired of putting forth the effort. I don't understand how the girls can suggest an activity, help plan for it including raise the money to pay for it and then not come to it. What am I doing wrong? Have other troop leaders experienced this same problem? I have been a troop leader for many years and did not go through this with my older daughter's troop. I am considering cancelling everything else that is on the calendar. Help!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
K
K
We've run into the same problems here. Mostly it seems to be a lack of family support and 2-way communication. Thankfully, there are some local leaders that I really respect, and it was good to hear that they have had similar challenges. Basically, I just plan things as if all of the girls will be there, and if they aren't, then it's still a nice outing with my own daughter and any of the girls that do show up. It does make it more difficult to plan (especially things that are scripted) but I can't force them to attend. And if the event/activity leads to a particular badge or award, then the ones who missed do not get the chance to earn that award - I do not offer make-up events (though in some cases they are free to work on it on their own). I have had a couple of families/girls that have not been invited back in the fall, and that was a huge reason why. Like all leaders, I am a volunteer and my time is also valuable. It is part of the GS Law to respect others, be responsible for what you do, etc, and if they are not honoring that, then maybe GS is not for them.

P
P
I totally feel for you! I've been there/done that. I've learned to roll with the punches (or lack of attendance). Quite a few times it's been just me & my daughter - and we're fine with that. I KNOW the girls would come but it's getting the parents to follow through and actually bring them! I've even had people say they're coming then just not show. I always collect money ahead of time (when I take the reservations), so if they don't show they're out the money -- no refunds clearly stated! I wish I had some good advice for you, but know that you're not alone!

N
N
Have you asked the girls?

Perhaps part of the problem is the age range of the girls. Seventh grade girls do NOT want to hang out with kindergartners.

While the parents could be part of the problem for the younger girls, the older girls should be able to keep track of what is going on, when in their Troop, and make sure that they get where they are supposed to be.

You also need to make sure parents are receiving notice of activities. An email account that is checked regularly helps. Also mailing newsletters to the house, or handing them to a parent. Get signed permission slips from the parents for every activity, have a tear off part with activity info that they can keep. Charge for every activity. If parents/girls put down money they are more apt to show up.

Again, talk to the girls, and their parents about what is happening, and find out why. Explain that you EXPECT, at the very LEAST, good manners, and to have them call if they find they can not attend a meeting or activity.

G
G
We were having this problem with my toop of girls ages 15-18yrs old. Towards the end of the yr I took it upon myself to come up with something that would push these girls out of the girly crafts & do something totally different for them. Since it was a costly IP I emailed the parents/girls that they needed to RSVP by a certain date to allow me to get the supplies I needed. If they didn't RSVP, then sorry, all they got to do was watch, unless a girl who rsvp but didn't show. No make ups. I did the Home Improvement IP. They got to use a drill, screwdrivers, staple gun, sewing machine, paint, spackle, exacto knife, etc. They loved it. At the following meetings we saw girls who we had not seen all yr. Basically, there should a benifit for those girls who do attend the meetings. It requires us the leaders to think big & come up with things they're really want.

O
O
I totally agree with everything you mentioned. OUr troop leader passed out a calender for the whole school year that lists every meeting and activities planned. As things come up, the calendar is adjusted. My son's scout troop corresponds everything via E-mail. Maybe sending out a reminder email as to upcpming events and asking for an RSVP. I am also involved with the American Legion Junior Auxiliary and one Unit sends a postcard the week before the meeting and saying what they will be doing-they only meet 1x/month. Good Luck!

Mx3 Offline
Since my Brownies are a "home troop" who meets after school, this isn't a problem for my girls. I can see this as a problem as girls get lder and have more things to do. Three suggestions: Change the meeting time and place. Ask the girls wht they want to do. Send out emails. I send one out several days before the meeting and one the day before.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.