Print Thread
#658270 01/24/11 11:07 PM
G
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
G
How is everyone?

Holidays are over and it is football season. This could be a good time to put some extra thought into your career path and maybe even discuss it with family and friends on game day.

Here are some helpful hints in my lates article:

Choosing A Career Direction

You never know how helpful friends and family can be with their input during half time and commercials with the exception of the "Super Bowl Game" at which time we all will be watching the commercials and half time specials.

Gwendolyn Thompson, Job Search Editor
Job Search Website
Job Search Forum

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
Hey Gwen:

Great article as usual smile

Wanted to pass this by you - with the recession and all, do you think that we still have some control over what direction our careers take?

And by this I mean, don't we have to take whatever job or income source that come our way?

Thanks,

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Thanks for the article Gwen.

Angela I think whether people go for or take a job can depend on a number of factors including financial, attitude to work (strength of motivation/"work ethic"), welfare benefits availabe, family responsibilities, housing status (do you have to pay the mortgage, are you prepared to live in a caravan?),ethical, skills match, whether their face "fits" with the organisation etc. In the current economic climate in the UK a lot of people do not know if their jobs are secure, or how long they will be secure. I am seeing people make compromises they did not need to make in the past re. career to ensure they have money coming in.

I also think portfolio careers (several different jobs) are more common, and that career direction is more fluid, sometimes based more on transferrable skills than a straight "direction".

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

Tiger
Tiger
Asha, I totally agree as I know at the age of 53 - I am willing to do stuff I would NEVER in the past (lol).

Thanks for responding smile

S
S

Last edited by sudhakar06; 03/04/11 05:06 AM.
G
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
G
Angela

In response to your question about control of our career direction, I agree with Asha-Scot as well. So many things will dictate our future careers.

The economic down turn has severely damaged the older work force that is nearing retirement and life elements are dictating what the population in this category can realisticly do for income and how they can stay above water as they near retirement age.

Income from many different sources is the way of the future. In order to achieve this and keep control of your future career you must keep on top of your skills and remain current. You are never to old to learn.

If you do not know it then get out there and learn it. Find what you are interested in and learn more about it. Create an adventure for yourself and turn it into cash.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Gwendolyn Thompson, Job Search Editor
Job Search Website
Job Search Forum

Tiger
Tiger
Thanks Gwen and I am working on that "multiple income source" angle. Besides the fact that today's recession has made this the wise thing to do - it also keeps the BOREDOM away. I have always been one that likes to learn NEW things and once it starts to become a "routine" quickly loses interest.

Thanks for the input smile

M
M

Tiger
Tiger
Hi Mallory:

Yes, I saw your "previous" post - thanks smile

Glad to see you are already participating as a newcomer and we look forward to more posts from you.

Moderated by  Dianne W - Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.