Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Dealing with the "psychology of it all" is something we can also do a "Test Drive" on.

Many have and are right now surviving on much less than most of us have currently now. I've gone weeks without electricity, days without water, when the well pump broke down and almost a year without a home phone (before cells).

When it gets a little warmer, or now if you have a fireplace, you can take your survival skills on a test drive. With children, it can be described as a game called "pioneer days." Scheduling this for when the kids will be home from school, i.e. Spring Break. 3 to 5 days would be a good time period, as the kids will get bored and frustrated quickly. So this too will take some time and planning. But the lessons learned will be invaluable for you and your children.

No electricity, no city water, no battery operated games/devices and cell phones secured, but available in case of an emergency. Figure out the best way to secure the fridge and freezer, or combine it with the "Food Storage Test Drive."

You'll be able to put much of the information shared in this topic to the test, and learn the adjustments necessary for your family's survival with some measure of comfort.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
According to Off The Grid News, The Food Safety and Modernization Act was reconciled and passed by Congress and only requires the President's signature to become the law of the land.

My concern for the word "seed" seems to be well founded. The FDA does include seeds within its definition of food. This adds yet another industry under the control of the FDA. There are many who foresee this legislation having severe consequences for our national food supply and our ability to prepare for the future. Not to mention loss of jobs due to small agricultural operations closing down. The compliance issues and record keeping mandated will overburden most, if not all, small agri-business and this will include seed producers.

For me, this is scarier than the Health Care Overhaul and I ordered seeds this afternoon. I had previously posted the websites for purchasing heirloom, open pollinating seeds, packaged for an extended shelf life. Will be trying to find some other sources. But in the meantime, here's some reminders on purchasing seeds.

Avoid seeds packaged in paper or cardboard. They don't last and mylar packaging is better. I made the mistake last spring of buying seeds with the word Organic on the package. I've since learned while the plants for the seeds may have been grown organically, that does not mean the plants are not genetically modified.

I've read this in several places, but have not found the scientific research to verify it. However, it does make sense. "GM" plants, for some reason do not absorb as many nutrients and minerals from the soil as unmodified plants. While they may be more resistant to pest/disease, this would make them less nourishing. I don't know about pollination issues with "GM" plants, but I did my own test of the seeds this spring. I prepared and stored the seeds from an outstanding bell pepper plant. Planted a dozen and only 1 sprouted and then quickly died. Those are dismal results.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
What is GM seeds. Hate to sound like a moron, but simply put I really should be use to that type of embarrassment by now wink

The "Health Care Overhaul?" Everything in my being feels like the health care thing, it's presented to me like what a spider's web looks like. You mentioned seed bill reconciling...I don't know what that is, but you meantioned that concerned you more than the Health thing.

What I'm getting is that they're one in the same, basically. They're not telling the public though. It's in the "fine-print." The Health care thing feels like everything goes through it...EVERYTHING, down to food, diet, Dr. visits, what your purchases aer at the stores, even somehow insurance and transportation, farms/agriculture, everything.

The seed thing in itself and even gardening, home gardens and such. You know how people do "grey area" things on taxes, well that's the feeling I get when it comes to "home gardening."

Like, at some point everything you use to make your own garden will somehow need to be ((??)) compliant??? So, basically, any seeds you get will come from Gov. regulated whatever. The seeds will have things in them that aren't so good. They won't be natural??? That's the feeling I get and they won't mix with other plants or seeds, like birth control...Oo, that brings up something else.

This is going to sound WAY, WAY out there, I'm even going to have to check back with myself in a day or two, because it sounds like a sci-fi horror movie, but what I just got was there are experiments going on with plants, like yes, the birth control so they don't reproduce, but I also get the things we eat and drink are going to have things in them that keep people from producing as much...a lot of miscarriages or sterilities??? As I type it I can just see how rediculous that sounds but that's what pops in.

There's a window where you can get natural seeds, but it seems even if you do, try to grow them inside or...hmmm, like the mutated seeds kind of kill those natural seeds???

I don't know. I'll have to think on this. Better yet, what did I do with my cork-openener, lol?

Thanks for being a sounding board

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
GM or GMO refers to "genetically modified" seed and plants. While these may offer more resistance to pests/disease, they many not be as nutritious as unmodified/natural plants and seeds. I don't think the natural plants look that different, but the seeds they make reproduce, unlike a genetically modified plant.

If your plants are not close to a large area of "GM" plants, I don't think cross pollination would be an issue. I've spent all afternoon researching and ordering seeds and stumbled on a helpful website which compares the products of different companies.

I'm sorry to say, one company I previously listed did not receive a good review. The website is
seedbankscam.com

Good information on this one, but it doesn't include all seed sources such as these:

bepreparednow.net

humbleseed.com

I'll be ordering from Emergency Seed Bank as well. This company got a 5 star rating. Since we live in the Deep South with soaring summer temps, a history of both draught and deluge, I need a variety of seeds.

I've already ordered from Be Prepared Now. Their 37 veggie pack included several varities I grew up with, know they do well in the South, and was $55. They have a 6 melon ($23) variety and a lettuce variety pack. I got 10% off my order using coupon code "thesurvivalistblog" and free shipping. I also ordered some mylar bags and oxygen absorber packs.

At this point, my main concerns are varieties suitable for our climate and resealable mylar bags and containers versus non-resealable ones. I won't have an acre to till and plant, unless we're already at our safe place. With the resealable products, I'll be able to try each variety to see how it fares in our climate this spring and have useable seeds left over.

In my rush to get orders placed today, I may end up returning some purchases due to reviews, growing zones, and the resealable issue. It will take some time for the FDA to implement all the new regulations for the Food Safety Act and there is still the possibility Congress may not allocate the funding required. It's truly MASSIVE and includes setting up FDA offices in other countries!

We still have a bit of time, but quantities may be depleted quickly. Dec/Jan are normally when gardeners order their seeds. A rush to purchase non-hybrid, non-GMO seeds before the FDA regulations may force some of these suppliers to close means demand is high. You question whether our gardens will have to be compliant. If the only seeds available are the hybrid, genetically modified ones, we'll all be in forced compliance.

I've mentioned Survive and Thrive Supply and their website has been down all afternoon. That's worrisome.

Reconciliation refers to sorting out the differences between the 2 bills. As I posted previously the Senate had Bill 510 and the House had Bill 2749 (I think that's the correct number). The Senate's bill had some "origination" issues and the House's bill addressed additional areas of regulation. All that got sorted out and the final "reconciled" bill was approved by both the Senate and the House.

"everything goes through it...EVERYTHING" You hit the target with that. At this rate, EVERY ASPECT of our life will involve the federal government in some way. Starting with health care, some need more than others. However, with a compromised, limited and less nutritious food supply, ALL of us will need more health care. This is why the Food Safety and Modernization Act concerns me even more than the Health Care Legislation.

Your comments on birth control are not nearly as WAY out there as you think. Studies have been done on the environmental impact of chemical hormone usage. The conclusions reached were not good and showed how our chemical laden waste appears to already be affecting the environment, animals and plants. There are current studies on increased levels of sterility and increased hardship with natural conception.

Along the lines of chemical exposure issues, I've often wondered if the dramatic increase in autism is somehow linked to chemicals that took a generation or 2 to finally show the result. Well, that's a tangent thought not well suited for this topic.

Last edited by lcp012586; 01/05/11 11:23 PM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Another Validation
Back in September Elleise mentioned higher utility bills. We received notification this week our electric rates will be increased 10%! That's a big jump in price.

Also back in September I mentioned there was an important piece to the survival puzzle I was missing. It's been nagging at me for months and I stumbled on it this week. It started with some articles in the Frugal Living forum here within the Money topic.

Foraging is that puzzle piece, literally living off the land with edible wild plants which can be very high in minerals and nutrients. To get a jump start on my plans for a nature walk with a very experienced naturalist this spring, I started looking for websites and found a good one. It's relatively new and does include a forum.

ofthefield.com

Within the forum are articles on edible wild plants which include nutritional information, uses, preparation techniques, and cautions. Most of these plants are common across the country. The website is based on books by Linda Runyon. She homesteaded in the Adirondacks for years, living off the land. The forum articles include color photos to help identify the plants, and I have at least one growing in my yard. I thought it was a weed!

I've started my Edible Plant Journal, printing each article. To save paper and ink, I highlight the article and photo, and then print the selection. I'll have my camera and a friend to take notes when we go on our nature walk. With that I can make up additional pages for my journal.

Another good website for learning of indigenous plants, particularly in the eastern part of the country is

nativetech.org

This site is massive in content and includes everything from weaving mat rugs, plants, clothing to recipes.

Foraging presents some complications, such as private/public land restrictions and possible plant contamination from chemicals and run-off. There are also possible allergic reactions which need to be considered. I'm just getting started on this puzzle piece and will post as I learn. I'm re-thinking the weed killer this spring in the yard. We haven't put any down in over 2 years anyway. Those pesky dandelions will still be pulled up, but served in a salad, rather than dumped in the compost.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Thanks for the great links!

It's really interesting how people are feeling, even if they don't know what it is exactly they're feeling, it's making them feel passionate enough to begin learning how to sustain themselves.

Foraging is just huge. You do need to be careful about fertilizers and property but dandelians alone have so many different uses, teas, wines, medicinal properties, salad fixings, etc.

Aside from that, just utizing even leftover veggies, like when garlic starts to sprout and you're not using it or when potatoes begin to spud. I even replant chives and seeds leftover from pepper plants.

This is the first year I invested in a garden lamp and in just doing that all of my herbs are covered and we can have fresh salad greens and tomatoes into the winter and they're all organic.

I cut into a tomato and this was wierd, but there were little tomatoe plants growing inside so I planted them and they're starting to grow. We'll see if they continue. I was just looking for tomato seeds too. Didn't think of looking in there.

It takes you to a place where you realize what you need and empower yourself to bring it about, even saving 100's of dollars in the process instead of giving other people the money to do it for you.

In the meantime it's a good practice run should it not be just an option but a necessity to do it for yourself.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I do agree. Wild edible plants are something we need to start experimenting with now, since we do have some time. While things like acorns and pinestraw are edible and nutritious, they require preparation skills.

One of the first things to learn is how to forage safely. I've already read in several places to not harvest plants within 200 feet of a roadway. These plants, and the ground in which they grow, can be contaminated by vehicle fumes and run-off from the road surface. If you have acreage available from which to gather wild plants, you also need to learn the history of that land. This includes your own yard. Contaminated soil can affect plants for years.

Was there any type of industry on or near that land? What type of chemicals might still be in the soil? What type of herbicides and pesticides do your neighbors use which might have been blown by the wind or come into your yard via rain run-off?

It will take some investigation to find an area safe for foraging and you will need permission as well. Once that's accomplished you can identify the edible plants growing there and learn how to include them in your food supply.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Perfect response for organizing. You have no idea how greatful I am for just the A.) B.) C.) of it all smile

I've had a couple of flashes...one has to do w/2012 elections and all.

The other has to do w/solar generators. Just get one if you can.

Also 2025 is a year of interest. Do you have anything on that? In 3 years it hasn't gone away...2025??

I'm also seeing a huge amount of almost "inconveniences" so it's not like Armegedon, but these things are more like waves and there are vast amounts of individuals old and young feeling these waves.

Those feelings are almost causing emotional crisis w/in them

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
With all the political bantering, the one thing recently heard and read (from several sources) that concerns me most is voter fraud. Accusations have been slung like mud for over 10 years now, but there are facts. One just has to dig a little.

This includes not only actual voter fraud, but perceived fraud, which gnaws at our faith in the system. I've posted on Mr. Soros' previous actions in our companion topic. Generating distrust for the election process within a country is one of those "previous actions" carried out by "his" organizations. Keep in mind, this man basically stated he works behind the scenes, through others, and enjoys it.

My privilege and right to vote was fought for, won, and protected with literally the blood of my ancestors. The European part of my family arrived well before the American Revolution and the Native American part was already here. Holding my privilege and right to vote as sacred is something I share with many immigrants. They also realize voting is a responsibility as well.

Our Country is divided on so many levels. Hearing statements from elected officials, after the President called for civility in Tuscon, I can't get the phrase "Divide and Conquer" out of my mind. The percentage of those registered to vote, who actually do, is already dismal. How much will "perceived voter fraud" reduce this further? How many of us already feel like our vote doesn't matter?

When fewer and fewer participate, I think it increases the power of those already in office. It eases their re-election significantly. Based on what was experienced in the 2008 campaign and election, I worry 2012 will be nothing close to "civil." Accusations of voter fraud (both founded and unfounded) may be widespread.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
LCP,

Just before my husband lfet for work I asked actually told him...I had just gotten done watching Medium and I said, "You know? I can't help but wonder if there isn't someone working closely with that series that sees things too. I know there is an actual Allison Dubois, but I told him I felt she is seeing things still that "infracts" if that's a word, on issues too close to hand.

The point of mentioning this is that, following this I said, "Is it too early to talk about voter fraud?"

You'd have to have seen us, he's getting ready for work puting on a tie and I come up with...nahhhh, not a loaded question just before he leaves.

So here it is!

Yes, there IS going to be voter fraud, but not on the scale of what we've seen in the past. The feeling I get is that there will be heads on a platter if something doesn't go through.

There are a lot of little nobody's feeling like they can help or be a part of a bigger something with a slight of hand. So, it isn't like a huge conspiracy or rather what it is, is that it doesn't take much to "wink-wink" get a nobody to be a part of something that makes them feel like a somebody and it will be presented in a way like they will be helping make history. I also get that this voter fraud comes from a HUGE amount of non-profit groups???????

Why I feel this is coming through is that there will be other people around the nobody's wanting to be sombody's that can take videos, Iphone photos, recordings etc. and be a part of something that is part of what makes anyone of us or a situation great, just the highroad, truth.

I dont' think people get what or just what it is they will be up against, but it's kind of like the fable "David and Golliath"

Back then they had a rock and a leather sling and took down a giant. here you just only have an iphone.

Use it.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16

Moderated by  Elleise - Clairvoyance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.