Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 16 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 15 16
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Have you heard about Senate Bill 510? It's scheduled for a vote on Monday Nov 29th and 74 Senators voted it out of committee and to the floor.

Are you planning a garden? Do you already shop at produce stands and farmers markets? Are you learning how to preserve and store food? Do you work on a farm? Do you volunteer at a charitable food bank/kitchen?

If any of the above apply, please take some time this weekend to check out this piece of legislative "mushroom soil" It will grant the FDA unprecedented regulatory power over our food supply and bury small farns and businesses with compliance requirements, inspections and paperwork.

Food shortages have been addressed in this and our companion thread. This proposed legislation has the possiblity to very well create them, not to mention all the jobs it will eliminate through farms and businesses closing down. The level of micromanagement already dictated in the bill, will no doubt be amplified once the FDA gets free reign over all sources of food.

Production costs will increase and these have to be passed onto you and I, the consumers. Costs are already rising. At the grocery yesterday a pound of store brand, unsalted butter was $4.89. It will get much worse with the additional regulations proposed in this legislation.

Please take a moment to review this bill and contact your senator. Pay careful attention to how things are phrased as "protection." And remember the former White House chief of staff's comments on "not letting a good crisis go to waste." This bill has the propensity to create a crisis, and it will no doubt be taken advantage of in some form of federalization, similar to health care.

I suggested in a previous post to print-out the information from the websites we've found. If you don't have books on food preservation, natural healing, herbs, etc. the urgency in having a hard copy of this information to reference is dramatically increased if this bill passes. One can only guess as to how stringent the FDA will implement the mandates contained within. If certain things are regulated as illegal, they will be removed from some websites.

One last thing - the Senate offices are closed for Thanksgiving. I got voice mail at both this morning, and one was full. I've already emailed my concerns. Please leave a message if you can AND send an email.

Does it strike anyone as being odd how the vote on extremely important legislation is timed for around midnight, on a weekend, or the Monday after a holiday?

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Good grief LCP!!!!

No joke. 2 1/2 weeks ago, my husband was all up in arms about a judgement from some judge...I mean he was almost hostle in a disgusted way. I wish I cuold remember what it was, no matter.

I shook my head, "No...they specifically said they were going to wait...what's going on the or within a week of thanksgiving that's going to be voted on in the house/congress? That's your real issue." People won't want to focus on downers plus they'll be exhausted from the holidays.

I forgot about it until your post here and I don't keep track of this administration. They're a mess and not our 'friends'.

I'll even go as far to say that I feel Obama knows people are starting to get it and is going to spend a lot of tax money on personal things/trips, like "I'll have the last laugh..." and, this guy gets more and more like a pestilent child. Unaccommadating. This is why I refer to this person as a man-child.

Anyway, I haven't heard of this bill until now and I guess I'll have to loook into it.

About a year ago and I haven't put it together yet, but I said we're going to see more and more of Mcdonald's and Walmart in the news. It'll be wierd though, like a lot of tearing down, but the reality will be they have something to do with the govt in the end. The gov't has its eyes on them for some reason.

I just saw in another post Mcdonalds is going to be a part of the UK health policy.

As backwards as that sounds. I'll bet, Mcdonalds has it's hands tied...like as a corporation it's been officially :nudged. Like you guys can either play ball with us or....

Just because it's UK or Brazil...no matter. It will all be the same, some how, some way, all of the countries will be a part of this one system. That's what I see/feel and will probably drink heavily because of over the holidays...

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Went to the grocery store this afternoon. It was necessary as we haven't done any food shopping in over 2 months, other than perishables for hubby's lunch and picking up our Angel Food orders.

I spent this morning marking canned goods with the month/year of expiration. Black permanent markers on the lighter part of the label are much easier to see than the tiny stamped dates. Made a list and we stocked up!

My cabinets are almost full and hubby will be making a divider shelf to maximize usable space in one area. We don't have a light in or near this cabinet. Tonight I was rotating cans pretty much in the dark, and thinking there has got to be a better way. So I took a break and found some good information

shelfreliance.com (not a link, add the www.)

They offer heavy duty food system storage units, both for existing cabinets and free standing systems, food with 8-25 year shelf lives and other useful things. They have a dimensions calculator to help figure out what storage product will work best for your cabinets. Our house has hand made cabinets (circa 1945)and they aren't standard in any way.

I also checked out the products at

thefoodguys.com (add www.)

Elleise found the food storage calculator on this site, but they also have a wide variety of long-term shelf life products. I was so proud of how full my shelves were, until I used the calculator to compute food supply requirements for just me and my husband. I was thinking we've got enough for 4 or 5 months easy. However comparing that with the calculator print-out I've got 2 to 3 months tops. Adding those we would need to help and we'd be lucky to make it through a month.

Not only do we need A LOT more food, we also need A LOT more storage space. But I do have a plan, freeze dried and dehydrated foods. Their shelf life is awesome, as well as the reviews on taste, but they are expensive. We can afford one or two items a month and some of the suppliers ship free. They even have freeze dried meats. These will increase our supply dramatically and save on space.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Hi Lcp!

I found a link just for the calculator

Emergency 1 Yr. Food Calculator. How much will you need?

You also make a really great point! I have a dehydrator, so i've been taking vegetables when they're on sale and doing just that. To be honest though I really try to push this all out somedays. It's just so hard to believe, to live in a day and age where you can't trust what you see in the news. It isn't the what's really going on.

My husband downloads the radio Glenn Beck program on a psp and listens w/headphones. I'm real sensitive to that he not tell me anything unless it's pertinent to us and what we should do. By that I mean if I say something and Glenn Beck has the proof or back up something that came through he can tell me Yey or ney, I'm wrong. He said the other day someone called Glenn a "see'er" it made me think of this forum.

I told my husband, the reason this is so hard to believe for everyone is because it isn't here yet, not all the way. Before long you'll go in someplace like for finances or health and the guy or girl on the other side of the desk is going to know everything about you. So say you go in for a health isue or insurance and you take a questionair, they'll already know that once a week you purchase 6 cartons of cigaretts...they'll trace it through your "card" but they'll have a program that keeps track of all that.

So you'll still be able to move around, but there's control over everything. I also felt what you need will go through the gov., in its entirety. So the gov. will provide you with things and you'll give whatever money you make right back to them. i see health services taking months for you to get in to get,l ike 3-6 months and they'll have a record of what innoculations you have or haven't had and will be "scheduled to get. It'll be a mark against you if you haven't had this or that.

The food thing isn't like everything goes to ashes, but the people not on "the system" will have a more difficult time paying for food and as more and more families get on the "system" we start finding increasing prices and diminishing supplies and you won't get a compensatory "raise" to keep up w/it all. I have also told my husband I see the gov. taking over farms.

What kills me is that your own gov tells you , "It's for your own good." So, it's like a Narciccist saying they have the compassion enough to know what's best for you. They just keep saying it enough times until you're actually brain washed enough or a heart string is pulled of yours and you actually begin to believe it.

I also believe the doing away with competition has to do w/making people even more brain dead than they already are. I like video games, but in moderation. What I'm seeing out here are people living in them and working just enough to purchase their next virtual wallet...

Once upon a time an "F" was to get you to try, try again...I just don't see that in the years to come. So, how will you know what you're actually good at? You won't they'll tellyou for you and you'll just do it depending on geographical location.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Thanks for the additional food calculator, I'll check that one out. The first one I looked at was a plan to spend $5 a week and end up with food for 2 for a year. It listed out what to buy each week and when I looked at the totals, boy was I disappointed. We would have been eating bread, tomato soup, and tuna casserole for a whole year. Don't think so! If I have time to plan and buy, I'm including a little more variety!

I've read quite a bit on packaging/processing for shelf-life. One important issue is removing/reducing as much oxygen in the package/container as possible. There are food safe dessicants available at
desicare.com
oxygenabsorber.com (add the www.)
These would extend the shelf-life of dehydrated foods dramatically, and prohibit bugs and molds. They come in a range of sizes for most standard containers.

Here's some additional tips on food storage. Containers need to be in a dark, cool place. There are 3 things which will reduce shelf-life of stored foods:
Oxygen, Light and High Temperature

Avoid placing your food near an exterior wall. It should be in the area of your home which has the best climate control with temperatures in the mid 70's and low humidity. Lower temperatures are fine, but higher temps will compromise shelf-life.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Update on Senate Bill 510. It amazes me that Congress can get anything done! Appropriations/Revenue, basically money issues, those bills must originate in the House (not the Senate). Unfortunately, this bill included some things that can not originate in the Senate, so the Big Fix is on. However, the House has its own version for our "food safety," and from what I've seen, it's even more vague in terms and implementation, while being more invasive. Yes, that is possible when the FDA gets their hands on it.

If I have one more bureaucrat say "this is for your SAFETY" I might just scream.

So while all these "food safety" issues get worked out, has anyone seen the Head of Homeland Security on the video screens in Walmart? For additional "Safety" issues we are now apparently suppose to spy on each other while shopping and report any suspicious activity to the manager. I just have one question for the Head of Homeland Security - Have you ever seen the manager at your local Walmart?

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Thanks! I need those. I knew I would I just didn't know where to start. I mean even if I'm dehydrating, you're right, shelf life is everything, especially when you don't know which year or 2 may be the hardest or the week a groccery store runs dry or is flooded or hit by a tornado or something. Plus what if your neighbor comes to you? I would offer what I could, even joining ingredients, working collectively, that would benefit even more.

Another thing you point out is the psychology of it all. Think to a time you're on a diet, having to eat the same thing over and over again and the brain freeze you get when you think to having to eat one more grapefruit or green drink, even macaroni and hotdogs or tunafish gets old on the making ends meet diet.

My specialty is herbs right now, soups and grains, yeast, evaporated milk, oils and most of it is in the freezer or shelves of the spare bedroom. We just bought 6 cases of canned vegetables @ .29 a can. I feel they'll do that maybe one more time this year and we'll hit them up again then.

I've gotten it so I can make everything from bagles to pizza, variety of breads, pumpernickle and such. We don't eat a lot of carbs but it's good to know you can make them with a bowl of soup to make you feel full if you need to and the variety changes as you mentioned. Other times it's an affordable treat and makes the house smell so good!

Thank you for keeping in touch!

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Hoping everyone had a Great Holiday! I received 2 gifts for Christmas I'm really excited about. My husband gave me the DVD series on preserving food AND built 3 shelves over the fridge to store my canning supplies. While organizing, I found more jars, seals and caps than I thought I had. Can't wait for the first crop!

The 2nd gift was a Soldier's Water Purifier. It came in a little camo bag and is smaller than the most compact umbrella. It's good for 2000 liters and we'll be testing it on the water at the Tribal Grounds next week. The water there has a high sulfur content and I'm very sensitive to sulfur. I'll post on the results.

Both of these came from Solutions from Science and their newsletter Off The Grid News. This week's edition has an article by Samara, dated 01/03/2011, advising a test run on our food supply. We "partially" did this in the weeks before our daughter's wedding. With no time to grocery shop, we ate what we had and seriously depleted our meager food supply in about 4 weeks.

If you are storing food, you need to verify your supply. Here's the basic steps, but please take a moment to read the full article at offthegridnews.com, entitled "Taking Your Food Storage for a Test Drive."
1. Don't buy any groceries for a month (save that money to replenish)
2. Using up the perishables first, eat only from what is in your home.
3. Make a list of everything you consume, including the little things like spices, baking powder/soda, etc. Make a menu for each day/week so that nothing goes to waste. This takes some time and planning, but is valuable. It helps identify shortages, and meals your family would miss that you might can prepare for.
4. What do we have left? Take an inventory. Now that you have verified the monthly quantity needed, you can more precisely stock the foods your family enjoys and are nourishing, while also providing for variety.

When we re-stocked before Christmas, I made one mistake. I didn't check the expiration dates on the canned goods at the store. Marking the cans before rotating my stock, I realized some of the items expire as much as 4 months earlier than others of the same brand, bought at the same time. This simple mistake can really cut into the shelf life of my supply and won't be repeated.

In the past, I frequently bought items with an earlier expiration date. We would use them and they wouldn't go to waste at the store. Now that I have "shelf life" on the brain, I'll be checking each can while shopping and only purchase those with the longest expiration period.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Another update on this "Food Safety" thing. Apparently, these bills also include regulation on supplements/vitamins, but they do not contain the word "seed" which is almost reassuring, but not quite.

Can you imagine not having any vitamins or supplements? Only eating store bought foods from genetically modified (GM) plants and treated with irridation and preservatives? Only having drugs to treat illness and deficiencies? Having to purchase GM seeds each year, as most of the seeds produced by these plants are sterile?

These are not far-fetched ravings of a conspiracy theorist. These are possibilities based on the wordage in the bills and the interpretion of officials at the FDA (Food and Drug Administration). Combined with the United Nations already threatening to "punish" countries which do not allow genetically modified seeds, these possibilites are more than a little scary.

The first thing that comes to mind, How many jobs will be eliminated by this legislation? Think about all the health food stores and how this industry has grown in the past 25 years. This one segment represents millions of jobs and thousands of small businesses. Who could possibly benefit from this?

With the swearing in of the new Congress this week, a "Hit List" of legislation to investigate, alter, and/or repeal has already been generated. The "Food Safety" bills need to be on that list. Preparing for an uncertain future is hard enough without our resources being jeopardized and/or significantly limited. The implementation of this legislation could possibly do just that.

Last edited by lcp012586; 01/04/11 04:04 PM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Two really HUGE & GREAT points!

This stuff is still in the making. Therefore we really do have test run time to see if in fact we can get through a week, month, 2-3 months.

I feel the things to come are going to be functional, but devestating at the same time. I haven't a clue what that means, but I trust it. I guess at this point I'd have to say it means there's still function out there, but man does it get difficult.

I don't think it has just to do with money either. I feel a series of things, makes it not only non-affordable to have what we once did, but what will end up being available will be subjected to hits here and there, be it weather, trade, riots, etc. So, have your back up and get them going to some extent now.

Aside what's in the news as far as immigration goes...and this is a riot (no pun). But, I'm living in it. And the immigrants here (ya we see the riots in the news in CA or on whatever side a politician who wants votes wants to show you).

But, they KNOW it isn't good and instead of wanting to live here, permanently, they come here, get what they can and go back and forth. It's a litteral commercial what's on TV. I believe these people too because they've stayed with us when they had no other place to go.

They not being from here, and they can see it's getting bad, we should be able to see at least the same and get what we can going for us by our own means.

I'd never thought about looking at dates at the store but you're right, they put the soon to be expired cans up front.

In our life time, I don't see everything collapsing, it will come in stages though and I do see the market falling at which point those stages will have come and gone and you'll wish you would have paid attention.

Aside from learning to preserve, and do for yourself, you bring up another good point, puting it into action. Even if you have staples, could you go through the psychology of it all?

Even if it meant no electricity, gas or water for 3 weeks? Those are the types of stages I see in our time.

Last edited by Eleise - Clairvoyance; 01/05/11 04:19 AM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Page 10 of 16 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 15 16

Moderated by  Elleise - Clairvoyance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.