logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#656532 01/16/11 06:45 PM
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
If you've written a book and are thinking about how to go about publishing it, you'll want to read this article about the pros and cons of self-publishing, and one young author who recently sold 100,000 of her self-published books on Amazon...in one month!

Should I Self-Publish My Book?

--Maria

Last edited by MariaRomana-DTP/eBooks Ed; 01/16/11 06:53 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Great article, Maria!

I'll be self-pubbing when (not if, darnit, Cricket) I finally finish my WIP. I think it's absolutely doable, but I think that self-pubbers have absolutely GOT to make their stuff LOOK as professionally done as possible.

Amanda Hocking, for example. I'm about to start the Trylle trilogy, but I've just devoured all four of her My Blood Approves series. Fabulous story, engaging characters, well done story all the way around. But the typos and the grammatical errors KILL me. Her stuff is way too appealing for those sorts of mistakes, and it pulls me from the work every time like nails down a chalkboard. It's mentioned in almost every review I've read of her stuff, so I can't imagine she doesn't know the problem exists. In an interview, she says that her work is proofed several times and that she's got a paid editor.

Now, I'm not picking on her, like I said, I love her stuff and I've bought 5 of her books thus far. But if authors are to break free of the stigma that self-publishing is only for those authors who just couldn't cut it in "regular" publishing, our works have got to be better (stronger, faster) on *every* level.

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Originally Posted By: Cricket - Headaches
I'll be self-pubbing when (not if, darnit, Cricket) I finally finish my WIP.

Darn straight, girl: when, when, when....never IF!

Originally Posted By: Cricket - Headaches
if authors are to break free of the stigma that self-publishing is only for those authors who just couldn't cut it in "regular" publishing, our works have got to be better (stronger, faster) on *every* level.

I totally agree. Now, even traditionally published books have occasional errors, and grammar & usage are sometimes a matter of opinion (I use a lot of "loose" terminology in my work like gotta, gimme, uh-huh, etc.), but there is a basic level of proofing that every book should have before you ask people to give you money for it, IMHO. Misspelled words especially bother me, because those can be caught by software. But even the more subtle errors that require a human eye can be found just by trading proofing with some other author friends. There's no excuse for not cleaning it up!

--Maria

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Interesting update to this article! Just a couple days after I posted it, one of the authors I mentioned in the article, H.P. Mallory, was approached by Random House about publishing her books with them. She has not decided whether she will take their offer, as she is doing plenty well on her own, but it's certainly an interesting turn of events that the self-published authors are now being approached by the big publishers, instead of the other way around!

--Maria

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I love the idea of posting a ton of ebooks on amazon. That honestly sounds like a lot of fun, and i love the idea of recurring income.

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Talk about recurring income! One of the other authors I mentioned, the young Amanda Hocking, just signed a 4-book deal with a big name publisher for a reported two million dollars! Granted, both of these ladies (Hocking and Mallory above) may be exceptions to the rule, but there are dozens, even hundreds of previous nobodies now making a decent income by selling ebooks.

These are some interesting times we are living in.

--Maria

Moderated by  Laura - DTP/Ebooks 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.