logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
Hi! I need some guidance on making a career decision. I have been a massage therapist for 15 years. I am also an RN. I graduated from nursing school December, 2009 and got a job right away. So, for the last year, I have been doing nursing 3 days a week (with the occassional bonus shift) and massage therapy 1 day a week (occassionally two days a week to accomodate my clients). I am frustrated. I keep saying to myself "oh, in 3 months I'll give up massage", "oh, when I get my next nursing raise I'll quit massage", "when I pay off my car I'll quit" (done!), "when I pay off my credit card I'll quit" (done also!). Well, I keep giving myself deadlines, but I never come through. I enjoy doing massage and I love my clients, but I feel stretched too thin. Nursing is a 40 hour job crammed into 3 days. On the days I have massage clients, I don't want to do it. When I get there I am fine, but I feel burned out. My fears of giving up massage are: 1) I don't want to disappoint my clients; 2) it's an extra $500/month (pre-tax, over 4-5 days per month; 3) I like to see my clients and once I give up massage the reality is I won't see many of them again; 4) change is scary for me. My reasons for giving up massage are: 1) I feel like I'm never home and always working; 2) I can work 1 bonus shift per month at the hospital and can make the $500 I make doing 4-5 days of massage; 3) I feel like I'm neglecting my home, husband, pets because I'm gone so much' 4) I'm tired! So, I could really use some guidance in helping me make this decision. The reality is, I really want to give up massage, but I'm really scared to do so. Please help! Thanks!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
Wow, you are indeed talented. At age 52, my home life is kind of important, but so is paying the bills in this recession. How about cutting back on BOTH careers if you want to keep BOTH. Why are you fearful of making a change? Is it because of the recession? Or like me, got to be independent (lol). I am curious to see what other posters will say as this is quite a situation. Wish I had your talents. Now with the massage, I have heard it can really affect your hands as you age. That alone would help me to leave it alone or cut back. Don't like pain - Yuk! Please let us know what you decide to do and thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted By: jillster
Hi! I need some guidance on making a career decision.

I have been a massage therapist for 15 years. I am also an RN. I graduated from nursing school December, 2009 and got a job right away.

So, for the last year, I have been doing nursing 3 days a week (with the occassional bonus shift) and massage therapy 1 day a week (occassionally two days a week to accomodate my clients).

I am frustrated. I keep saying to myself "oh, in 3 months I'll give up massage", "oh, when I get my next nursing raise I'll quit massage", "when I pay off my car I'll quit" (done!), "when I pay off my credit card I'll quit" (done also!). Well, I keep giving myself deadlines, but I never come through.

I enjoy doing massage and I love my clients, but I feel stretched too thin. Nursing is a 40 hour job crammed into 3 days. On the days I have massage clients, I don't want to do it. When I get there I am fine, but I feel burned out.

My fears of giving up massage are: 1) I don't want to disappoint my clients; 2) it's an extra $500/month (pre-tax, over 4-5 days per month; 3) I like to see my clients and once I give up massage the reality is I won't see many of them again; 4) change is scary for me.

My reasons for giving up massage are: 1) I feel like I'm never home and always working; 2) I can work 1 bonus shift per month at the hospital and can make the $500 I make doing 4-5 days of massage; 3) I feel like I'm neglecting my home, husband, pets because I'm gone so much' 4) I'm tired!

So, I could really use some guidance in helping me make this decision. The reality is, I really want to give up massage, but I'm really scared to do so. Please help!

Thanks!

J
OP Offline
J
Hi! To clarify, nursing is my priority and cutting back to 2 days per week is not an option - I love nursing. As for massage, I've been doing it for 15 years and I'm ready to be done with it, but just can't seem to "cut the cord" and quit and I'm not 100% sure why I can't seem to do it.

Moderated by  Angel - Business Coach 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.