Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Beetlemess #652889 12/31/10 05:13 PM
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Beetle, never late - just pulling up later to add something good (lol). How is your boy scouting doing? I know it keeps you busy.....

Originally Posted By: Beetlemess
Guess I'm a bit late. Eagleone seems to have covered very well.

Your son's preparation for the crossover to a Troop & attaining the Arrow of Light will open the paths toward understanding what's presented in the book. Basically, it will be a new world to him, in that older, experienced Scouts will be guiding him toward the requirement sign-offs.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Already finding my summer schedule filling up, not to mention squeezing in things throughout the late-Winter & Spring.

Just trying to keep a balance between Scouts & the Domestic Queen Mother...

-B-
"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."
Beetlemess #653480 01/03/11 02:32 PM
Just learned that my week after Independence Holiday will find me staffing the conservation projects surrounding the New River Gorge National River and the new National Jamboree site near Beckley, WV. Glad it's just a hop-skip-jump away from DC-area and not like my participating in a similar effort near Price, UT back in 2008.

-B-
Beetlemess #653658 01/04/11 12:16 AM
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hey Beetle, glad to see you are working on a balance between your boy scout activities and home. You wife is indeed a luck lady.

Angela

Actually, I'm the lucky one to have her...

-B-
Beetlemess #654368 01/06/11 11:09 PM
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Beetle, you are awesome. She is indeed a LUCKY lady to have you APPRECIATE her smile Good to know there is another guy like mine out there. You don't find alot out there now. I hope my daughter marries a decent one...

Sorry, I'm not available any more....

-B-
Beetlemess #654744 01/09/11 12:58 AM
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
LOL, no you are not available anymore because you have an AWESOME lady in your life.

Any updates on your Boy Scouts project?

Do you do overnight camping trips?

Are they doing okay as far as recruiting volunteers?

I seem to remember they were having some issues in the past due to the bad press with "molestations" - hate it when a few perverts mess up stuff for others frown

Originally Posted By: Beetlemess
Sorry, I'm not available any more....

I'm heavily involved with the 'Honor Society of Boy Scouting', called Order of the Arrow (in short: OA). The Order's purpose is to mainly promote outdooring experiences (camping) and to cheerfully provide service to others. All this is tied into Native American culture & traditions that fosters a mystique of the ceremonies.

With that said: I do get out on weekend overnights at least monthly. At least once a quarter I spend a weekend as the local Camp Master, where duties involve checking-in & supporting units that use the local summer resident camp for an off-season weekend. Do spend nights under nylon when staffing camporees or induction weekends for the OA. Then there are those weekends of camp service in preparing for the summer activities or closing up shop in the fall. So camping & service go hand-in-hand on those weekends.

Have been selected to coordinate the DC-metro contingent to an experience in NC called Indian Summer. The last one was held 8 years ago and the popularity makes this one seem to not come fast enough. A week-long exposure to customs, ceremonies, traditions, & Pow Wows every day. <I can hear Phyllis asking how she can sign up>. This is the first week of August.

Three weeks prior, I've been accepted/invited to staff a concerted effort with the OA & US National Park near New River WV. Here OA Scouts will come together to construct and rehabilitate trails between the new BSA high adventure/Jamboree site and the New River Gorge National River. This will permit access between the reservation and the activities the gorge provides.

My storage area in a partially finished basement is loaded with outdoor equipment. It's kinda like walking into the department store to 'shop' for the weekend. <Is it backpacking? Is it plop-n-drop car camping {easily accessed by a parkng lot}? Is it OA related & I need to pack out my regalia & ceremony equipment that's in the garage? Converservation or service weekend needs gloves, eye protection, chainsaw, etc etc.

I'd rather be in the outdoors with the youth than cooped up in some church basement giving adult leader training on a Saturday.

I could go on & on, but I think all will yet be revealed...

-B-
Beetlemess #655247 01/10/11 10:33 PM
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Wow, Beetle you are a reservoir of knowledge and yes, I hope Phyllis reads this. Right up her alley. Thanks for taking the time to share with us. Awesome - never realized that so much was involved. Who knows, you may get some other men involved. Angela smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.