Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#653422 01/03/11 12:19 PM
kismet2 Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
What do you think of this? In Cambodia, a python has befriended a small child. It moved into a house when the baby was just two months old and now they say the snake and child are inseparable.

This video shows the child nestling with the snake. Do think the snake is capable of developing a bond or is it just waiting until the child is fat enough to eat?

Python plays with baby video

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Amoeba
Amoeba
Dear Lori,

I have watched the video. Thank you for sharing it with me. While I believe that some animal can be trained to do tricks or as pets, but either way, there is never a guarantee that an animal will not attack humans. Think of how many dog attacks occur every year. As for animals born in the wilderness, I believe they will always remain wild to a certain degree. The brain of an animal is basically in the survival mode. When fed by humans, most animals won't bite the hand that feed them but again, there is no guarantee. Reptiles such as this python don't have the capability to think things through the same way as humans do. It is not their fault, it is a fact of life. Personally, I would not leave my child without supervision or even within its grasp. This huge snake will fight to keep its prey and nobody will ever be able to free this child when it decides to consider it as its prey. I sincerely think that one day, you may read an article on this little boy and his snake. Unfortunately, it will not have a nice ending, like a fairy tale.

kismet2 Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Sylvie, I was thinking the same thing. One day, they will end up having to kill the snake to free the child from its death grasp.

However, will a python kill for the sake of killing? I wonder it it is safe for the child as long as the snake isn't hungry. If the snake is kept well-fed, will it still attack?

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Well, the snake has been with them for six years. I will assume they ensure the creature is kept fed. smile

Amoeba
Amoeba
Animals are not like humans. Hunting and fishing are considered to be sports by humans but animals kill when they are hungry. Although some animals, such as the Killer Whale, are known to play with what would usually be a prey, the difference is that they will eventually let the poor victim go. It may be hurt but it will be alive. So, if I go with this fact, I would say that as long as the snake is well fed, the child should be fine but here is my question: "Would you like to be the parent of that child and later on find out that you were wrong when you thought your child to be safe?" As a parent, I would refuse to take a chance! I guess it depends on the person's beliefs concerning that matter.

kismet2 Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
I think you're right to say that animals still have primal instincts and no one can know for sure what they are going to do. Obviously, snakes are motivated by hunger. But who knows if they'll squeeze and hold onto something for the sake of doing so, even if they aren't intending to kill. Do they know how to "be gentle?" It's not like they have any nurturing instincts with their own young!

Maybe I need to be educated here but although some animals are known to bond with humans, I really wonder if reptiles are capable of such.

Amoeba
Amoeba
Although some reptiles are used as pets, I believe they will behave as long as they are well fed...for most of them anyway. I am not convinced that they know how to establish a "real" relationship with humans.

Gecko
Gecko
I watched the viedeo - I cannot believe that that is allowed. Although - with my non-reptilean blood - It did seem like the snake was enjoying the attention from the child. ???

All I can remember is the news items with children being squeezed to death by snakes in the house....?? I just couldn't allow an animal like that in the house with small children, pets or even just me alone - they can kill adults, too.

Robin Rounds Whittemore
Card Games Editor
Amoeba
Amoeba
With or without reptilian blood, I would not encourage such a relationship between a python and my children. I could not live with myself if something ever happened. I know that it this case, cultural beliefs are involved but what if this friendship ever turned out to be dangerous or worse? This family is braver than I would ever be with the lives of my children. It is merely a matter of opinion and beliefs but they are mine.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
All i can say is that it's been working for six years, so i guess they are on top of it. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.