logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
A course on autism behaviors and communication challenges can be very challenging a I've just found out. I thought I'd share what I learned about the autism spectrum on my month long course: Tips For Helping A Child With Autism Behaviors And Communication Challenges

Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
That article is just loaded with fantastic information and good descriptions.

One thing that I would change--I'd make the language more "people first." Examples: baby with autism vs. autistic baby; child with autism vs. autistic child; teen with autism vs. autistic teen. It is easier to say autistic (you fill in the blank), but it tends to identify the autism as the totality of the person. People with autism have some commonalities, but they are as diverse as any other group.

Thanks for sharing the article. I'll pass it on.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
HELP PLEASE!!!!!! My 4 yo granddtr. started pre-k this year. She got 100 on her admissions test the only one in her class to do so. The teacher called a few times saying she was inappropriate in class by kicking other children, poking them with pencils and talking back to teacher. Oh yes, not sharing. The school wanted her checked for autism. They requested it several times so my son and d-i-l pulled her out. The teacher said "fine then I won't have to put up with her. Well next yr. in Kindergarden they won't be able to do that if they suggest it again. My thoughts are is that she is just too spoiled. I looked up Autisim and it didn't sound like her to me. Can someone who has experience in this field help me. A frustrated Grandma

Sarah Redhawk
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
First, it might have been a bad match with your grand-daughter and the teacher. I would like to say, "Oh, I just can't believe that the teacher said that!" However, I have known some teachers like that.

There are any number of reasons for behaviors like this. Your grand-daughter might not have been used to having limits set for her. Also, since she made 100 on her admissions test, she might have been bored. Kids who have Asperger Syndrome, a form of high functioning autism, can behave like this. I would take the child to be evaluated by a psychologist who has experience with kids who have behavior issues and autism. Rule it out. Also, DO NOT put this child in a class with this teacher ever again!

You do not want a bright child who is eager to learn to get turned off about school. It can effect their whole life.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Hi everyone! I am from the Philippines. I just join in! I wish to join in as many forums about Autism as I can in the next days, because even though I read a lot about it, I still want to hear personal comments of the parents & professionals of this field & continue to learn more for my son's benefit. I have a son with ASD & he is 6 y.o. running 7 this November. He is according to the Dev. Doc. 2-3 years delayed in communication. He is now talking a bit but does not communicate completely yet. But he can imitate very well & can memorize the things taught to him, like prayers and songs! He loves to sing very much! Just recently, he's learned to hold the mouse & learned to click properly on the net. He's fond of playing starfall and would imitate what he hears & act what he sees in there. But I guess, he's becoming bored of the site so, I would like to ask if you know an online site like starfall.com where kids like him can learn & play online? Or do you know any online site best for ASD kids? Thank you..

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/13/24 08:03 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/10/24 08:39 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/06/24 02:11 PM
Curiosity and Learning
by Angie - 04/06/24 09:56 AM
Easy to Sew Pillowcases
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/03/24 04:38 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/31/24 01:10 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.