Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Everyone!

What are your thoughts on job searching while still employed?

Personally, I think it is wisdom to ALWAYS keep your options open just in case you do need a NEW job. Of course you need to be careful as you do not want your boss to know you are looking.

Thank you,
Angela

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I think it's fine. After all, most jobs are just jobs -- not careers. When you get a job, you're not promising to spend the rest of your life there.

Former Chocolate Editor. Also known as Daisybun.
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Originally Posted By: daisybun
I think it's fine. After all, most jobs are just jobs -- not careers. When you get a job, you're not promising to spend the rest of your life there.

That's so true these days. Way back when, it was a different expectation. People took jobs they expected to stay in. We have a LOT of people that came to the library as their first job 25-30 years ago and have never left. These are the people that will be retiring within the next 2 years or so.

I believe it's ok to job search while you're employed, if there is a reason to job search. I always caution against blindly job hopping though, just to be changing jobs - it catches up with you after awhile when recruiters look at your resume - unless it shows a progression of increasing responsibility.
When I hire people these days, I don't expect them to stay with me forever. I ask that they give me their best and that they learn something while they are in their job so they can take the experience with them where ever they go.
I hired a administrative asst. as a payroll clerk, no payroll experience at all. I taught her HR basics and payroll, when she left after 3 years she was able to get a good job in HR. I was happy to watch her grow in the position and extremely pleased when she was able to get a good job when she left. We had talked about her leaving one day. I allowed her to interview during the workday so she didn't have to sneak and call out, it worked out well.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Dianne:

You are one in a million as alot of employers do not think like you do or treat their employees the way you do.

Thanks for sharing,
Angela

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi daisybun, yes times have changed and I have learn't to have "options" in life not just in job section. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post smile

Originally Posted By: daisybun

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Lol, I am constantly job searching while employed. I check all the internet writing sites I work for most days - in addition to all the other jobs I do. Quite often they will call for assignments that no-one has written to, but it's a hassle checking all the time. Nice when the writing jobs come in though - and it means you can continue working at all your current jobs. Here's who I write for on my freelance internet writing site:

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
BellaShorts, I just love your ZEST for life. I love reading your posts - I can see you are living a life that is fulfilling. Thanks for sharing with us. Angela

Originally Posted By: BellaShorts
Lol, I am constantly job searching while employed. I check all the internet writing sites I work for most days - in addition to all the other jobs I do. Quite often they will call for assignments that no-one has written to, but it's a hassle checking all the time. Nice when the writing jobs come in though - and it means you can continue working at all your current jobs. Here's who I write for on my freelance internet writing site:

M
M

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I'm currently employed but am looking for a new company. My job is ok it's the company I don't like and an trying to get away from them.

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Thanks for the input smile

How do you HIDE the fact that you are looking? Hey, don't want to be shown the door before I have something else in place (lol).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dianne W - Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.