logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Our latest series deals with Social Networking Policies.

Should library personnel be allowed to work on their own social networking pages during downtime at work?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Most places filter out social networking sites thus no one can work on them or read them unless your section can show a need to be there - either to respond or because the section/department has developed a site.

Shark
OP Offline
Shark
The very nature of a library should prevent the blocking of social networking sites. They should be available for patron use or to update the status of the library's pages. My library has two Facebook pages. One for the Foundation and the other for the library itself.

Should libraries filter patrons from accessing social networking sites?

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Originally Posted By: Paula Laurita

Should libraries filter patrons from accessing social networking sites?

I don't think patrons on open computers should be prevented from accessing social networking sites. Often, this is the only means that many of these folks have to access the Internet at all.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
If employee staff are on their break or lunch - they should. We probably need to embrace technology a little more readily. As long as what they are viewing is not seen as objectionable by staff that can see their screen.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Good points. Many people have no access to the Internet at home. Social networking sites aren't all frivolous these days. Many businesses are not creating websites, but Facebook pages.

Paula Laurita
Italian Food Editor
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Our library provides computers in certain areas that are public. If a staff person is on their lunch hour, I am sure they can access one of the available computers for personal work as long as there is not a patron waiting. Also, many people have netbooks - if the library has Citizen WiFi then the staff person should be able to use their own netbook to access their pages.

Shark
OP Offline
Shark
This is a good point. Should library staff have to take a back seat to the public on their lunch hour? The biggest reason is that patrons don't know the staff is on their own time. Does this treat library staff as second class patrons because they cannot equally use the library's resources?

E
E
They should be allowed to use when concerned staff are not available and in their breaks as well.

I think it depends on if the staff is abusing the privilege and ignoring work or patrons because they are too busy playing online. With smart phones, even if you deny them access on computers, staff could always just use their phone. It makes more sense to allow it, especially if they are doing it during a break and it is not on a computer that the staff needs to do actual work on. The library I work at has not even addressed it as an issue yet. I think it also depends on if staff is logging in and staying logged in and checking it constantly during the day, taking away from productivity and what they should be doing. That's really the bottom line, in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.