logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Phyre Offline OP
OP Offline
LOL! I think it's funny, but I'm to back school after being gone for a very long time. I'm trying to finish up my bachelor's, but it's been so long I forgot how much hard work it is. LOL! I keep on changing my major every semester and can't figure out what "I want to be when I grow up." It makes me think I'm gonna be in school for another 5 years if this is the rate I'm going at. lol Does anyone have any tips on committing to a degree or finding one you really like in the first place?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hi Phyre

Congratulations on going back to learning.

My main question for you would be why are you studying?
Is it because you are interested in learning?
Is it because you want the qualification?
Is it because you want to improve your career prospects?
Or are there other reasons?

Do you enjoy all the courses you have done?
Are there some subjects that appeal to you more than others?
Does getting good grades/marks matter to you?

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

Gecko
Gecko
I can understand changing degree plans right and left, I did it too for a while. I finally decided, at my age (I'm almost a senior -- senior citizen that is!) that I have to decide one direction and go there. I love English and history and enjoy so many more things. I finally decided that English is required to write and read history (the grammar is SOOOO important), that I can learn English and study history.

I granduated an 1973, did a couple of years of college over a 20 year period, then laid out for a long time. Now, I'm back full-time and loving it!

Sometimes, you just have to choose a road and follow it smile

Gecko
Gecko
Oh, one suggestion (I always think after I post hehe) ...

Look at the degree plans for the areas you're interested in pursuing. If one or another has classes that are huge turn-offs, that plan probably isn't for you. That might narrow down your options a little.

Phyre Offline OP
OP Offline
[quote=Asha - Scottish Culture] Hi Phyre Congratulations on going back to learning. ------------ Thank you! ------------ My main question for you would be why are you studying? Is it because you are interested in learning? Is it because you want the qualification? Is it because you want to improve your career prospects? Or are there other reasons? ------------------------- I want to finish my bachelors degree mainly, and of course improve my career prospects. ------------------------- Do you enjoy all the courses you have done? Are there some subjects that appeal to you more than others? Does getting good grades/marks matter to you? -------------------------- I'm taking science classes right now and am not enjoying them at all. I like art/design classes and English/writing classes. And I do want to make decent grades. Right now, I'm thinking of changing my degree to design, but can't decide on which one to go with: fashion, interior, or communication design.

Last edited by Phyre; 12/13/10 06:31 PM.
Phyre Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you, Sara. I started taking some classes and then decided, I don't want to do this... Then I look at other degrees and wonder, if I go there, will I start saying that again? The competition, the work load, the bureaucracy, etc... I wonder if I should just choose something, ANYTHING, just to get the degree over with... However, will I just end up where I started (when I got laid off), with no concrete career goal? I'm just a load of confusion right now.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
I often get distracted because so many things interest me. You need to find your absolute passion. The one thing you can't live without doing.

Forget about classes for a minute and think about what you love, love, love to do. What fascinates you? Choose that without letting your doubting mind get in the way with all those worries.

If you truly love what you do, nothing else matters. Money will follow. Obstacles and hurdles will be overcome. If you aren't passionate about your degree, you'll lose interest.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Hello Phyre,

It looks like you have been getting some great advice. I tend to agree with much of what has been said. There is not one way to select a major. Each of us do it a little differently depending on what is important to us.

It sounds like you have a lot of interests. That can be one of the biggest challenges for selecting a major or career. I agree that it is best, generally speaking, to follow your passions. The problem can be narrowing down passions for someone with many. Sometimes passions can be combined. For example a person with an interest in law enforcement and accounting may try to become a forensic accountant.

When selecting a major or career there are many things to consider at once. Your passion is one of them. You already have a good idea of what you like and don't like. You may want to try to eliminate any majors that focus on the areas you dislike. It can be helpful to look at course descriptions for the possible majors and to talk to professors in the field to help you select one.

If you are taking classes toward a future career, you must consider career choices. If you know what career you want, there may be a major that is required. If there isn't a required major, is there a related one? If so, you may be interested in it. (You don't always have to do a related major to enter a career but it may be helpful or interesting. Internships in the field are often a great way to enter a new field even if you don't have direct educational experience in it.)

If you are selecting a major with a particular career in mind, make sure that it is something you would be able to do in your area (assuming you want to remain in your area.)

Have you tried any career or major tests? They don't tell you everything, but they can be helpful. I would suggest visiting career services or an academic advising center (maybe both if your school has both).

By the way, career tests you find online can be fun, but they often are not scientifically based. Students can often find more helpful tests through their college.

Last edited by Susan-Colleges; 12/14/10 11:05 PM.

SUSAN D. BATES
COLLEGES

Connect with Colleges on Facebook at Colleges at BellaOnline.com

Follow Colleges on Twitter at colleges_info

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.