Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#644055 11/21/10 03:58 PM
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Alot people do not believe me when I say I have a disease called "Food Addiction" - wish I knew about my disease when I was younger.

At the age of 52, I have learn't to DAILY manage my "addiction" but not "tempting" myself with unnecessary food.

My biggest challenge is when I either get bored or stressed. That is when I head out the door for a "walk"........

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
Food can heal; food can hurt. Why is it so difficult to believe it can fuel an addiction? People are told, instead, that they lack will power. While some use food to sooth emotional problems, etc...there are those who do have food addictions. Good luck managing yours!

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Lyn:

Thanks for the kind words and yes it is a DAILY thing with me. Sometimes "minute by minute" (lol)

Like an alcoholic of drug addict, I have to limit my exposure to food and that is why I try to get out of going out to dinner - and take a gift card instead smile

It seems more people are celebrating with food......

K
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
K
Food can and is a very powerful addiction to many. In my research writing my book, I found that many alcoholics and drug addicts, particularly women, have food disorders as well. These are taken very seriously as many with food addiction/disorders are of a fragile nature. Not because they are weak but because food, something we must consume daily, is their demon.

Those of you with food addictions are no different than those of us with alcohol/drug addictions. It is one day at a time and we have to turn our will and lives over to a Higher Power...whatever or whomever that is for you.

Blessings,
Kathy

J
J
Eat scheduled meals at the dinner table. Don't keep food in your car, desk or nightstand. Lock your purse in the trunk when you go out so drive-thru restaurants aren't accessible. Find someone who will hold you accountable.

Last edited by jerlin09; 12/08/10 04:11 AM.
jerlin09 #648589 12/09/10 12:10 AM
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Jerlin09:

Thanks for taking the time to share with us smile

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello All,

Have you or has anyone been introduced to a group called OVEREATERS ANONYMOUS?

Head Office is in the USA, they are international and run daily meetings like AA or Al-Anon in many cities across the world.

Cheers

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello there,

I asked about Overeaters Anonymous as I wanted to know if what they do helps people with eating disorders. I have a colleague here who has an anorexic daughter and things are very difficult.

If you have something to say it would be helpful, especially if it is from experiene and I say thanks.

Container Gardening Site

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Lestie:

A few years back, well several to be exact - I did attend one of their meetings.

It is basically like Alcoholics Anonymous - use the same set up, but geared to food instead of alcohol.

With an anorexic daughter - personally, I don't think it would work as she has the opposite problem - not eating.

Overeaters Anonymous helps folks like myself figure out why they overeat, find solutions to not overeat and of course get support and encouragement from other members. The meetings are usually free unless the person leading the meetings decides to do membership fees.

From my reading - I would encourage the parent to get medical help ASAP. We are losing so many of our young people to this disease. Some hide it so well with wearing baggy clothes. They also recommend counseling that is geared to the issues that a person may be dealing with. Usually it may be low self esteem or peer pressure to be thin.

Hope this helps in some small way!

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Thank you very much for your comment Angela, I will pass on what you say to my friend - her daughter is in therapy as we speak and so all of us friends are holding thumbs for a good result.

It also seems that it is a self image and a cry for attention - though just saying it like that doesn't seem to be enough for the damages caused by anorexia and the absolute defiance of everything anyone says to her.

What is it that makes children hate themselves so? What is is that will make a child hurt herself so?

Still, I am hoping for a good outlook.

Thanks again,

Container Gardening Site

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kathy - 12 Step Recovery 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.