Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#646084 11/29/10 12:51 PM
S
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
S
Well, WikiLeaks strikes again and once again will be sharing with the world documents that have been stolen. Okay, this is completely illegal and immoral. Will the government step in and prosecute the yahoos that are responsible? What do you think should be done about this????

Stephanie Romero
Independent Parties
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Two words "Better Security"

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Well, yes, the government should learn a lesson about their security systems and personnel, but still--breaking in is breaking in. Just because someone has an inadequate security system (or leaves their door wide open) does not make it okay to trespass and/or steal their property. The leaking of classified documents is illegal or at least a violation of the thief's employment agreement (if they were leaked by an insider), and so the thief should be punished.

But is it wrong for WikiLeaks to publish the information they receive? That's a much tougher question. They claim to be acting as a press agency and simply "reporting the news", in which case, they should be protected by freedom of speech/press. If our press lives in fear of reprisal, then we can't have a free press.

--Maria

Last edited by MariaRomana-DTP/eBooks Ed; 11/29/10 02:47 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
In the UK all "they" are talking about is leaked diplomatic cables showing how Janas-like most diplomats are (a major reason I never considered that field as a career - too honest!) Plus how the leaks have revealed how rude one of the British Royal Family is - which is no news to anyone who has come into contact with him.
Has any really serious stuff come to light that is a security threat?

Last edited by Ninjahedgewych; 12/01/10 06:58 PM.

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
T
T
yea, tough question.
i don't think it's right to steal the info, (there are a lot of things security-wise that the public just doesn't NEED to know and would be dangerous if we did), but the question of free speech is another topic.
if the information that is related is more like gossipy rumors, that's bad enough, but not really a security threat. embarrassment, yes. threat, no.
i understand that shortly much more volatile information will be released. in that case, if there is truly a spew of information that could be considered a threat to our security, then i believe that more aggressive actions should be taken.
free speech is one thing, but to place the whole country in danger is quite another.
i was taught that my freedoms end where another's begin. if free speech is allowed to create endangerment, that is the 'line in the sand' that ends that freedom of speech. yes, one freedom DOES outweigh another when national security is at hand.
until some REAL damage is shown, i believe this guy is guilty of theft, not treason.
just my thoughts.....

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
At the moment all the very angry people calling for assassination etc. of the wikileaks founder on the basis of the current, minor ego-pricking stuff, just shows what happens when you upset narcissistic personalities with delusions of power and big mouths.

Ian - Pagan Editor

Dalai Lama
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
A bit more detail from the British press. The comments are interesting too.

British Press 'take' on Wikileaks and readers responses

Ian - Pagan Editor

Dalai Lama
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Ian, there seems to be something wrong with your link--I just get an error message.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Bother! Sorry Mona, here it is again:

US embassy cables leak crisis

If no luck put "The guardian, world news, us embassy cable leak diplomacy crisis" (don't know if you need the commas) and that should bring it up. If it doesn't then there may be a bit of naughty censorship going on(!)

Hope that helps

Ian - Pagan Editor

Dalai Lama
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Ok, this time, thanks.

I like the Borowitz Report take on it. Borowitz Report: Diplomats must start lying

(This is satire.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.