logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
As for spyware - free programs - people seem divided between Spybot and Spyware Dr. Anybody have any experience to share?

Megan, I've used Spybot Search & Destroy ever since it came out and have never had a single problem with spyware that I know of. I've even donated money to them because I feel that they are doing us all such a service by providing it for free and keeping me spyware free for all these years. They update it VERY regularly and I really appreciate that effort.

And besides, I think the name just turns me on. Search & Destroy LOL, gotta love it. It sounds ominous and aggressive, which is exactly how I feel about spyware in general.

I've never used Spyware Dr. so I can't comment on it.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
My personal experience is that AVG, Spybot Search & Destroy, Kapersky, and Microsoft Security Essentials are all pretty good resources for the money, which of course, is $0. smile

I wouldn't say that AVG is garbage, but it is very slow and isn't as amazing as hype would have you believe.

"I don't think of all the misery, but of the beauty that still remains."
Anne Frank

Rayna
Depression Site
D
D
[quote=Megan_Embroidery]I've been using AVG (Grisoft) for many years now and wouldn't use any other anti-virus (their free version is just as good as the bought one). I've only ever been caught by one virus (and it was my fault). As for spyware - free programs - people seem divided between Spybot and Spyware Dr. Anybody have any experience to share? [/quote] Does AVG still have free version? I cannot find the free version to Download?

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Hi dazzling,

Yes, AVG does still offer a great, comprehensive free version - you can click AVG Free to reach the download page.

Let us know what you think of it!

Anne Frank

Rayna
Depression Site
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Surprised MalWareBytes.com didn't make the list...

Nicki Heskin, Breastfeeding and Early Childhood Editor
Breastfeeding Site - Breastfeeding Forum
Early Childhood Site - Early Childhood Forum
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I used AVG for a long time, but after some combination of updates and changes on my PC, I went through a period where some part of AVG kept eating up all my RAM. No matter what I did to try to reconfigure it, I couldn't get past this problem, and soon discovered that others had had the same problem, so I got rid of it.

I've been using PCTools since then, but did get attacked recently and had to install MalWareBytes to clean it up. After MWB was done, however, I ran PCTools again, and it still found some traces of the problem. Maybe using multiple tools is the only hope!

--Maria

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Hi Maria,
I think that using multiple AV programs is the only way to go, really. Every AV program has a vulnerability, so having more than one is more likely to catch any weak spots.

Great tip!

Anne Frank

Rayna
Depression Site
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.