Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#645312 11/25/10 09:40 PM
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger

Now, I am the first one to admit that I HATE to cook - thank goodness I am involved with a man who does not mind getting in there and helping (lol).

Anyone out there who LOVES to cook and either does the "gourmet" stuff at home or on a job?

If you are a "professional" chef, was this a career you always planned on having?

If yes, any recipes to share with us?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
ok - #51 is coming up on Saturday and my main goal for the next year is to make a big dent into a new personal chef career. Between cooking, food, and writing about cooking and food....I will be pretty well set.

First classes will consist of candy making. Was this a career I planned on? No.....it literally just came about...

Robin Rounds Whittemore
Card Games Editor
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger

Hi Robin:

Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

Now we are expecting some "samples" to be shipped to us (lol).

CONGRATS on making this decision. Way to GO!!!!

Gecko
Gecko
I have been the household cook since I was a tween at home. Then, began making breads, desserts and decorating cakes for friends and work mates. At age 40 I realized a dream and attended a Le Cordon Bleu culinary school!!!!

Now I am building a personal chef business. I've started by working closely with a few orthopedic physicians and I offer my services in preparing meals for patients recovering from joint replacement surgeries. These clients usually have severe mobility issues and some issues related to their new medications. I provide pre-made meals to them with re-heat instructions or cook in their home. I have just begun to branch out into corporate meetings, family reunions and may wet my feet in a few wedding receptions. Almost ready to quit my full-time day job.

I have found that fresh, quality ingredients all the way to the herbs and spices makes SO much difference when making food for 1 or 100.

Chef Catherine Bridges
Sandwiches @ Bellaonline
Mom, wife, chef and writer!
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger

Well, thank you Chef Catherine for sharing. And you are a Mom, wife, chef and writer!!! CONGRATS.....

Amoeba
Amoeba
Catherine you said a mouthful with your statement
Quote:
I have found that fresh, quality ingredients all the way to the herbs and spices makes SO much difference when making food for 1 or 100.
If you start out with less than ideal or inferior product, it takes more time and effort to bring the dish up to par and considering that pound for pound, spices are more expensive than your other ingredients, you don't want to expend valuable resources repairing a dish with extra seasonings to mask off flavors than allowing the natural flavors of the cuisine to shine.

Angela,

Here's a quick link to a recipe we make at home when we want a tasty, fun snack:
Baba Ghanoush

It's a variation on the traditional and it works out beautifully!!! Have fun with it!

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Jason, thanks smile

BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I haven't gone to a culinary school, but I've always had a nack for duplicating flavors, say something we've eaten out and can't get that craving out of our minds for.

I cook with just crazy mixtures, things you'd never think of combining.

I work on a high/low system. So if a flavor is too high, my nose and tastebuds work together to bring it down a bit to balance it all. So, I guess you'd say I'm a 3 dimensional chef smile

I have an indoor garden, like a 3 tier green house. It was a gift from my husband and parents. I agree with everyone here, fresh ingredients and herbs are the only way to go. this way, I have them all year round and at a fraction of the cost. I'm still experimenting with what grows well and what I'm just better off purchasing from the market.

The basil alone is worth it's weight in gold, lol.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Being a natural chef is awesome. I have to work at it using a recipe. Thanks for sharing smile

Originally Posted By: Eleise - Clairvoyance
I haven't gone to a culinary school, but I've always had a nack for duplicating flavors, say something we've eaten out and can't get that craving out of our minds for.

I cook with just crazy mixtures, things you'd never think of combining.

I work on a high/low system. So if a flavor is too high, my nose and tastebuds work together to bring it down a bit to balance it all. So, I guess you'd say I'm a 3 dimensional chef smile

I have an indoor garden, like a 3 tier green house. It was a gift from my husband and parents. I agree with everyone here, fresh ingredients and herbs are the only way to go. this way, I have them all year round and at a fraction of the cost. I'm still experimenting with what grows well and what I'm just better off purchasing from the market.

The basil alone is worth it's weight in gold, lol.

H
H
Hi I'm Sherly and I am a personal chef in the Lehigh Valley Area (Pennsylvania). I use fresh and local ingredients to create custom, healthy and delicious meals that the whole family will enjoy. My goal is to empower clients to adopt healthy eating through education and wonderful wholesome food. I love what I do, especially when my clients and their families can all enjoy what they like.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.