Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Well, they had to fill the empty slots with something and most of the UK likes nature programs. It was interesting to see what effect constant news, particularly the negative kind, is having on peoples' nerves.
On the legalizing pot front most governments would like that. But not only would it put a lot of drug enforcement people out of work, but a lot of the growers and smugglers would suddenly be without an income. Not really a bother to me but many more on welfare since that seems their only skills. It would lead to a calmer population, just look at the outcries from Victorian law enforcement in the UK when opium and Laudanum were banned.

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
There is much common sense wisdom in "Leave It to Beaver," and we all have a "Wally" amongst our friends.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Part of yesterday's Glen Beck show was on food inflation and storage. The Survival Mom was one of his guests and I checked out her website last night. (not a link, add the www.)

thesurvivalmom.com
Good stuff on this one, factual, but lighthearted. Some of the articles had me laughing out loud. I so needed that.

Also included on the show were the owners of these 2 websites:

asamom.org

912superseniors.com

I looked at these briefly. They are interesting and worthy of a closer review. I knew Mr. Beck was Mormon, however, I didn't know food storage was one of the Mormon tenets. As stated on the show, if you want to get started on food storage, "Ask a Mormon." That's an awesome shortcut to a deep fount of knowledge and experience I plan to use.

One thing that would be helpful to me is some type of calculator to figure out what and how much food we need. Trying to figure out how many pounds of flour or pasta we would need for a year is a daunting task, even for a retired accountant. If anyone finds something like this, PLEASE share it.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Hey busy bee...I think you pretty much bring a smile to this forum whever you pop by.

I found this straight away. It's from the foodguys.com. It's a calulator to figure out how much emergency food per person you need to store. Below is the link. I wanted to get this up as soon as possible. Thank you for the tip!

Food Storage Calculator Online

I'm going to check out the other links and then post those too. I can usually tell within a few minutes how to tie these things in, especially if I get a sense of the person writing them.

I haven't seen the shows, yet. I always get paranoid I'm going to sabatage myself. But if I speak w/my husband about something that literally drives me crazy, heart palpitations, pacing, etc. I get physical, then he'll say, "You should watch the history channel, the news, FOX, etc. I can never sit by for 3-5 minutes though...if they are dead on, I lose my breath. But food storage, it's like YES/NO. By that Imean, it will be a problem, but not in the way people are thinking. But the food storage along with everything else is the crisis.

What I think it is, so far is that the food we see now going up, comparitively to the future...well what we see now will be by 1/4 of the price. I also see gas over $5.00. I don't have a car so I don't know if that is a huge jump or not?

But the jobs people have between food and gas...that's just the start. More and more people begin going on welfare.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Here's another link that had alot of useful links to get the most out of your money now to prepare for the future:

Emergency Home Preparation Links

***Breaks in or gaps...(this came through while I was looking for something else and spaced out).

This actually makes sense with the YES/NO feeling I was getting with food shortage.

So, say you happen to be one of those people who maybe either shake their head or role their eyes because you either don't believe it and you have plenty of food already, don't want to be bothered by negative thoughts or are already on food assistance and get those little credit cards every month.

There's a gap, I think with the welfare people...like you end up missing a month because your social worker hasn't gotten back with you, you don't have information to reapply or they don't return the cash flow in a timely basis.

The people who just don't want to hear about it. Well as more and more and more people get those credit cards, which they will too, the credit card people will want to get the very most free stuff as they can with their card and they are all going to swarm to the Walmarts where you use to go to get everything you needed to stretch your working dollar. The stuff isn't there or they are out of it more often and you will be dealing with inflation as well, but the incovenience and the price hikes take a toll more so on you because you are actually making an effort to earn the money you get.

# types of welfare recipents I see are

1.) Those that truly can no longer work, the elderly, etc.

2.) those who feel "entitled" special, etc. to free stuff and don't feel they should have to get up an go to work but for the bare minimum

3.) Those who have tried and tried and are tired and feel they're beating their heads agains a brick wall and finally just give up and realize how hard they've been working, the sacrifices they made when they too could have gotten their basics for free.

Oh, more recordings too. Information that you can't find on the internet that you have to call for with more gov't programs you'll sign up for and

This one is harder to interpret...but the people on the welfare system already...they'll be "working" it while you are jsut getting started. So they'll have tricks, like moving illegal immigrants into their homes to qualify for more money or they will actually...this one is hard for me to swallow, gross really...but they will share children. So thy'll have kids stay with them for 6 months and ship them off to another extended family memeber so they each can qualify for more food money and benefits.

It's hard on the children. They'll also get pregnant on purpose. Not mentally be able to deal with the children...with a free-for me attitude and hurt or kill the children. UGGGGhhh,

O.k. enough with the human exchange for cash flashes. Let's plant a garden smile

Last edited by Eleise - Clairvoyance; 11/19/10 05:09 PM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Sometimes I can't watch the news and commentary shows either. Fortunately the ones my husband prefers to watch come on around supper time, when I'm in the kitchen. So they don't have my full attention all the time. Multi-tasking helps me filter.

Thanks so much for the food storage calculator link. I just completed my Angel Food order for next month and need to update my inventory before I get started on it.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I know, I know, I know... I'm sure some reading here have commented "Glen Beck, that loon?!" I already said he can be a goof ball, but I just found the "mother lode" of websites on food preservation in his newsletter. It's a real peach from the University of Georgia.

uga.edu/nchfp (not a link, please add the www.)

The National Center for Home Food Preservation has everything from on-line courses for canning to instructions on fermenting yogurt, smoking/curing/drying/canning/storing, etc. They also have books with recipes. Their topics cover safety, problems you might encounter, general information for beginners.
The list of jams and jellies includes almost every fruit I've heard of, no pectin, liquid pectin, powdered pectin, etc.

This gem is on my desktop for easy reference and is the most comprehensive site I have found.

Canning supplies can get expensive, but here's some tips on keeping those costs low. Shop thrift stores, use Freecycle, and keep an eye out for canning jars at your recycle center. Start stocking up on lids and seals, a few packs at a time. You can reuse the lids, but it's recommended not to reuse the seals, so purchase more of those.

There are still items sold in glass jars and some of these fit the standard canning lids and seals. Some things, like spaghetti sauce, are actually sold in standard size canning jars. Find out which jars work with your lids and ask family and friends for their empty ones. Getting free jars cuts your overall supply costs by at least half.

Research now on local farms, co-ops, and farmers markets. Find out who grows what and how it's grown. Organic or not? What are the approximate harvest dates? Can you save by picking yourself? If you do plan on picking yourself, don't forget the basket/bucket and to schedule time for washing and cooking immediately afterwards.

Fruits and veggies might be a little expensive, but now is the time to learn the techniques and experiment a bit. Wasting $5 on a small, bad batch of tomatoes is much better than goofing up a dozen quart size jars.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Why does everyone feel Glenn Beck is what-not?

I keep hearing, but it feels more like you know when you hear gossip and people really don't know but they know if they say this one thing they get an instant response of acceptance...that's the feeling I get.

I know who he is and honestly when I look to his person, he actually feels like he knows what he's talking about, but what's stronger is that he's getting in the way of what should have gone smoothely?????

My husband refers to him a lot, but he refers to many people and when a person doesn't line up, I feel it, I tell him. Like if someone is just saying something to shock people.

This person feels like he is making money and in a material world trying to keep a pigeon hole (I have no idea) but a spot, doing his best for the time being like anyone who is in the business...but his feels resourceful.

It also feels like he's prepared and almost relieved when it comes time to leave?

I feel a lot of things when it comes to this person. Most of all, I feel if I were to back someone, this is a person I would suggest people listen to.

The biggest reason is that my husband will listen to him and this is important. He downloads FOX and listens to it at work.

I'm not here when he listens to the programs. But I know when he comes home and has almost tears in his eyes, that what he got so mad at me for saying before, he heard more intelligently by someone who could provide the evidence. That's why I would back this person.

Last edited by Eleise - Clairvoyance; 11/20/10 05:53 PM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Elleise, you have addressed another important issue.
Where do we get our information?
There are some very loud voices raised against Mr. Beck and Fox News in general. When there is bad/negative talk about someone/something, I generally look to possible motive. I was raised if you don't have something good to say, keep quiet. If you have to say something negative, condition it, i.e. that was MY experience, or this is MY impression/conclusion. We can all be ill informed or just completely wrong about a situation or a person. That should not taint it for others, unless there is a motive for tainting it.
Each of us has a brain, logic, gut response and now is the time to use those in obtaining information. There is so much gossip, slander and flat out lies being spread, it's hard to know who/what to believe or trust.
Here's my rule of thumb -
When something/someone is getting "slammed" in the press -
1)Where is the evidence to support this?
2)Has something been taken out of context and twisted?
3)What are the original sources for this information?
4)Is the person presenting the information being objective, or is there obvious bias? Are they open to opposing discussion, not based on "talking points" but facts, backed with evidence?
5)Does this make sense with what I already know?
When something affects or interests me, having answers to these questions, I can make up my own mind about it.

I may live a simple life, but I am not a simple person. Don't try to persuade me with "talking points" and "creative math" containing vague phrases and variable numbers impossible to verify. A thousand people repeating something a thousand times does NOT make it truth. Don't talk down to me as if I am stupid and can't possibly comprehend the big picture. When I watch network news, some commentators, and "experts" this is my reaction. It feels like they are trying to placate me. I'm left with the question, "What's the full story here, is something missing?"

When someone states:
This is what I have learned
This is my evidence
Here's where you can find my original sources
Read it yourself and make up your own mind
If I have something wrong, tell me
I can trust this information. If I have questions, I can find the answers and have the freedom to my own interpretations based on facts. This is how Glen Beck presents information, and probably why his audience is growing and his books are on the best seller lists.

Yes, he can be a bit goofy. But then with dire issues facing all of us, a little goofiness can be a good thing. Objectively, I watch his show, I read the newsletter, and frequent his website. I check out his sources and have found them to be accurate. The issues explored and discussed are important and relevant to me, so I don't mind the occasional goofy.

With other media and those within our own government talking down Fox News, their journalists and commentators, calling for boycotts and for them to be shut down, one has to ask -
What is the motive? Why is Fox News so intimidating and considered by some dangerous? What's the full story here? Something IS missing.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I thought you looked familiar, lol. I think I sat in the row behind you in the classroom of don't say anything if you don't have something happy to say. My question was always, then how do you deal with anything or do you just pretend it isn't there and smile? I think we're kind of runing out of time with that. I feel a lot of people are almost suffocating because they feel almost bad for pointing out the obvious - that's what I get anyway.

The Media. That's an important issue that comes through for me here, and hollywood spokes people.

I'm feeling they haven't a clue what they're talking about, but they'll take an event that happened in history using that example as why FOX is bad. They sound ignorant!

I use to watch interviews of favorite actor/actresses if I heard an advertisement they were going to be interviewed. I'd be genuinely intereted. 15 minutes into the show they would be slamming an issue, I knew in my soul was real, but they'd be using what really felt like some commercialized type of blander to downplay it or call it racial or hateful. The other feeling I got when I would listen to them is that they were actually being paid to talk that way, someone approached them to do it and they justified it as acting...so to them there was nothing wrong with it and I felt it also came as a write-off??? Lot of information watching them for 15 min., lol. So, I don't watch interviews anymore, they're lying and unresearched.

The other thing I wanted to say is look into if possible who your stations are supported by, their funding i mean.

I felt they are making too much money for the types of ratings they are getting. I feel large chunks of money are going into them from sources that aren't for the good of the American people to push a political campaign or present the corruption that's going on in a luke warm or more positive spin to the American people instead of the truth.

The money even could be from the Gov't itself, bailouts or soon to be bailouts??? to talk up the democratic and foriegn affairs in an artifical light - so kind of like a giant or 'paid for by the peoples' taxes', campaign fund for the current person in office.

These people aer not your friends. It doesn't feel like real news. More of an "understanding" of the type of reporting they are now in a hush-hush type of way, supposed to be presenting?

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16

Moderated by  Elleise - Clairvoyance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.