Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
I recently posted this article Best States to be a Snowbird and have already received much feedback. Several folks offered up their favorite towns and RV resorts, while others expressed safety concerns in reference to wintering near the Mexican border.

I would love to open up this forum thread for people to share their favorite winter destinations. Also, for those staying in a location that borders Mexico, like anywhere in the Rio Grande Valley in Texas, please share your thoughts on safety. Has the recent drug cartel violence affected your travel plans? Do you plan to visit Mexico? If so, are you taking any extra precautions when you cross the border?

Erin Lehn Floresca
BellaOnline RV Editor
RV.BellaOnline.com
Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
M
We recently retired 4 years ago and have been doing some traveling from east to west. Since the topic is "Wintering in Texas" I will keep the conversation as such. While heading to Texas from Arizona my wife asked if we would take I-10 through El Paso again. I said no, as I could tell she had that look in her face. Last year we took that route and wanted to stop at Big Bend NP, but had spoken to a NP ranger and he said he transfered from there because his wife felt no longer safe there. So be that as it may, we took a different route north of I-10. It was a great choice. The point I guess I am making is that why take the chance. The situation on our borders are not good. Why should we expose ourselves to some very unsafe situations when there are so many other avenues? There are some very beautiful places in Texas other than near the Mexico borders. Some of the places we will visit or spend time "wintering" are in the Hill Country, ex. Fredericksburg, then as it cools down head to the Aransas Pass area off the gulf coast. Life is too short to take risks when it is not necessary.

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Hey MarcD! Thanks so much for sharing your story and offering up some alternate places to hang out in Texas. I totally understand the decision to reroute your trip!! Just curious since I am in the Pacific NW and you said you headed from Arizona, do they feel the same way down near places like Yuma and Quartzsite right now? How about Deming, New Mexico? Is that whole route along I-10 just a scary place to be?

Erin Lehn Floresca
BellaOnline RV Editor
RV.BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Quartzite isn't considered near Mexico at all, so ppl are safe there. It's as far from Mexico as Los Angeles. smile

I have no issues with Yuma either, or San Diego. Big American cities.

That is really too bad about Big Bend. I adore that park.

A park like Organ Pipe, on the AZ border, is probably not really safe anymore.

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
That is too bad too, since Organ Pipe is such a unique and lovely park!

Erin Lehn Floresca
BellaOnline RV Editor
RV.BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I agree. I have spent much time camping and hiking there - it's pretty unique. Much nicer than the Saguaro Parks.

Are the coasts of the states of LA, MS, Alabama, South Carolina and Georgia good for snowbirds?

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
You know, I personally don't find those states as RV friendly during the winter months because they can get pretty cold. I lived in The South for many years and we had some cold weather during the winter months. Cold enough that when I think of snowbirding, anything much north of Orlando, Florida is not on the top of my list.

Erin Lehn Floresca
BellaOnline RV Editor
RV.BellaOnline.com

Moderated by  RV Editor Erin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.