Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
In my purse I have a small pen given to me many years ago by one of my sons as a good luck charm, a great many Germans have a garden gnome in their garden for the same reason, but how many of us say we are not superstitious but nevertheless either do or carry something �just in case�.

Germany's Garden Gnomes
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art51642.asp

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Great article Francine. I like the way you've linked folklore, mythology and traditions throughout Europe.

A question - do gnomes need to come inside because winter weather will damage them, or is it just tradition?

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hi Asha,

Well strange as it sounds, although continually living through hard and snowy German winters is not exactly going to improve their condition, it is more a tradition that they are brought inside.

Over the years amongst other places I have seen them in hallways looking towards the front door, often in winter gardens (is that a conservatory in English?) looking into the home, in book shelves and once one holding a violin that from October until April had pride of place on top of a television.

And it seems that when Spring arrives, so it is again possible for human beings to spend some time out in the garden, then out go the gnomes, although often to a new spot in the garden each year.

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

D
D
i love garden gnomes

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Firstly conservatory - in England this is an area full of floor-length windows - I've heard them compared to greenhouses - that is attached to a house that allows you to look out on garden/landscape. Is this what you mean by a winter garden?

My question came from the fact that I know I have seen gnomes in gardens throughout the winter in the UK - maybe people who don't know the true customs of how gnomes should be treated...

It strikes me that gnomes in hallways looking towards the front door could be welcoming in luck and guests, family and friendship. If they can help things grow outside maybe they can also help growth inside the home...

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Yes 'divineplinth' I know what you mean. Was not used to them at all on first moving to Germany, and was inclined to think that gnomes belonged in kindergartens, not 'grown up' gardens, however would miss them now if they all suddenly disappeared.

A winter garden is indeed a 'conservatory' Asha, and yes you are right, the traditional belief is that garden gnomes are both welcoming and able to bring luck and health into the garden and then the home.

Not everyone brings them in during the winter, but certainly the majority. In much the same way as one would not leave anything one treasured out in all weathers, then the attitude seems to be that a garden gnome does not belong out there either.

Snow has already started in Germany, so as you can imagine even from a purely practical viewpoint a beautifully made terracotta 'ornament', which is what the really good ones are, would not last many years of being exposed to long German winters.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Snow already... At the moment we just seem to be getting a lot of rain (probably also not great for gnomes!).

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hi Asha, Yes parts of Germany have had the first snow already.

Don't know why but prefer snow to rain, although it makes no logical sense because it is not only wet it is also cold, so it might officially still be Autumn but it is also definitely woolly sweater time.

Moderated by  Francine - German Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.