Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: lcp012586
I might cheat a bit with a little leather cement between the layers to keep the strips aligned. I have a traditional heart when it comes to NA crafting, so that feels a bit like cheating. Last week, as I held and stitched the ribbon on my husband's shirt, several people commented, "If our ancestors had Magic Bond, they WOULD have used it!"

That is funny - but, so true, I think. The ancestors used tools that made their work easier and I agree that if they had glue they would have used it. I know what you mean, though, about having a traditional heart for NA projects. When I make one of my doll dresses, I use very traditional techniques.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I learned recently, and can't remember if I posted, our Ancestors did have a type of glue. I was talking with my Chief a while back about the trouble my husband had getting deer toes off. The sticky substance under the deer toe was a very effective glue, which explains why they were so hard to get off.

He ended up using a dremel and I have to figure out how to attach them to the leather fringe on my daughter's fan.

Every little bit used, nothing wasted!

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
OP Offline
That is really interesting. I never knew that about the dear toe sticky. The Ancestors were very ingenious, so it makes sense that they looked for a way to use every thing.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
P
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
P
Hey, I learned something today. I didn't know about the deer's toes.

That "inlaid" method sounds like a very clean way to stash those end strings on loomwork. I've never done it myself. I'm preferring to do off-loom, or box stich, on my strips lately. It tends to have a bit more integrity in retaining the beads, should a thread break. But it is a lot harder to 'repair' if a bead or two becomes missing in the pattern.

Last edited by Beetlemess; 10/15/10 01:07 PM.

-B-
"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."
OP Offline
On my pipe bag, if you take a look at the bottom pattern, I made a mistake on the last step pattern. The orange and yellow are in the wrong places which interrupts the steps. I have been able to take out a bead or two by breaking them with my needle nose pliers then replacing with the right bead -- but, there are so many beads in the pattern that need to be replaced. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Should I leave it alone or take out the beads and fix it so it ends with the right steps?

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
You might choose to leave it like it is. Every bandolier bag Mr. Acorn makes has at least 1 bead out of "whack." Everyone I know refers to them as the "Spirit Beads." They can be obvious, like the 4 sky blue beads in a field of dark blue on the beaded lighter sleeve I got last week. Or they can be subtlely placed, such as near the clasp on a turquoise necklace. Or they can be down-right elusive, as the one on my daughter's bag. It took my husband 2 days to find it, and we're still not quite sure the one he found is the spirit bead.

I did notice them in the photo you posted, and just assumed those were your spirit beads.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
That's how I'll write off my mistakes - spirit beads, since I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist.

Truthfully, I've studied many beaded works looking for the spirit bead. Having what you'd consider a flaw of a different colored bead or missing bead makes the work reflective of your spirit. That is because many times you don't intentionally do it & it is the guidance of a spirit or your ancestors.

Let it remain and have it result in a discussion item. Never know what others will uncover.

-B-
OP Offline
This is wonderful! Spirit Beads, I love this concept. I will leave the beads as they are then. Thank you both so much, lcp and Beetle, you have made me feel much better about what had been a concern for me. Now I feel that most likely my spirit guided me when I was "out" and placed the beads where they belong. Thank you!

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Some pictures/images aren't viewable from my daytime office computer (certain protocols & websites are blocked). I finally logged on just to see the work... NICE!!!

Luckily it's lane stitch & if you really want to correct the orange & yellow, it shouldn't be as hard as trying to work around threads that would fill a void in loom or square/box. Lane stitch repair/correction would only affect those lanes (humps) but would need to be carefully considered in order to have enough thread to tie off each side of the portion to be retained. Let your spirit guide you...

I'm assuming the zipper stitch is similar to the edging of rosettes (fret edging)? I've done this with rosettes & used it to edge as well as join the backing onto the piece with all the threads showing by going through both pieces before coming back up through the bead & adding on the next two. This would work great to edge a bag. Some excellent pictures & instructions can be found by any search engine on the internet.

-B-
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.