logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#633587 09/29/10 10:20 AM
OP Offline
i am just noticing that some of my handspun yarn looks a bit uneven. i am spinning modified worsted, using a forward draw, and it looks like wherever i pinch the fiber to allow twist in there is a marked change in the amount of twist and thickness of my yarn. it is not as noticeable in the plyed yarn. please help.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
N
N
Hi Myraspinstoo!!! I am not ignoring you, I just don't know what to say. Been thinking about your comments over night and this morning I think I can comment myself.

Sometimes we need to step back from a hobby for a bit or try something new to change our perspective from the mundane to something new.

I believe the more you try to correct this spinning issue, the more you will begin to fight it. Why not attempt another method. How about long draw? OR how about spinning from the fold, or just the lock or even in the grease?

It could be just a change of pace will help, but if you really want to see what is happening, change the roving or predraft a bit. It sounds to me as if the fiber supply is too thick and you are not drafting the fiber prior to allowing the drafting zone supply into the spinning twist. So the fiber supply is a little too thick. Pre drafting should minimize the problem I believe. I would also loosen my grip up a bit at the "Pinch" point.

Several things to try though.

Nikki

OP Offline
thanks, nikki, i don't know if you realize that i am the myra from soar was with our friend. hope all is well and i appreciate the response. i will try to spin from the fold and see if that makes a difference. i have tried long draw but not yet successful, maybe someday. ttly. myra

N
N
Hi Myra, I thought that was you!!! Good to hear from you. Just change up your spinning,move it around just a bit and see if that helps. Anything that will get you to change your pace and then we'll hope there is a difference in your singles.

Good luck...Nikki

L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Hi Myra,
What type of preparation are you spinning from? And how exactly are you modifying your worsted spinning? I'm thinking that the crux of the problem might lie in the preparation of the fibers or something with how the fibers are being drafted. It could also be that you might have your hands too close together or that y ou are treadling a bit too fast. Overcoming the problem of uneven worsted spinning takes a bit of practice and the some more practice. It is not the easiest way to spin since the yarn must be smooth. I'm still not back to being able to do it after alost a year. I sure hope this gets through - lots of issues with my isp ad with getting (and staying!) connected to the internet.

Llyn

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Llyn #634509 10/02/10 08:18 PM
OP Offline
hey llyn, good to hear from you , i think the problem is when i let go of the fiber w ith my right(forward) hand there must be a kind of time lapse between the moment i let go and the moment i pinch the twist again. also , i think i my be treadling too fast too. it would be so much easier if you could sit next to me and say ok now do this.. not much (read that as virtually none) support here in south florida. that is why having bella is so important. hope all is well and thanks myra

L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Hi Myra,
As you gain spinning experience, you will find that the fingers of your forward hand seem to develop a sense of timing - they know just when to clamp down and just when to release automatically. Practice is key, I practice a bit each day. One of these days I shall have that automatic setting back again, not there yet but at least I can spin. And I'm starting to be able to spindle again too - drop spindle, not large or small support since I don't yet have the fine motor control to snap the spindle well. But I keep trying smile Back to your uneven yarn - you will find that when you wet finish the yarn that much of the uneven twist will be evened out. Water allows everything to relax back to its natural state as far as crimp & twist are concered. Llyn

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.