Print Thread
#627466 09/10/10 10:00 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
There is SUCH an inspirational TV program on ABC called, "What Would You Do?"

I don't watch much television, but tonight after a long day I thought I'd relax before I go work out. It's a cool night and it's fairly quiet out here.

This program televises things like sexual harrassment, Prescriptions and rising costs, bullying and basically watches the reactions people have to what's going on, those that say, "let it be" or "It's not our business" and those that actually take that heroic step and do something inspirational.

Have you done anything similar in the everyday you wouldn't mind sharing?

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
I saw part of an episode and thought it was very enlightening. It makes us question our character. But it just might inspire us all to have a little more courage to do the right thing.

Personally, I don't like to see people get bullied and oppressed. I will step in at my own peril. I just can't stand by to watch someone get hurt...by humans or animals. Something primal surges through my veins and I will die defending someone. I feel no fear.

On the other hand, I'm no morality police and tend to look the other way if I see someone doing something wrong. For example, if I witnessed someone stealing, I wouldn't say anything to the store. When I was very young, I worked in the young women's clothing section of a department store. One of my co-workers continually "bought" clothes, wore them with the tags on and then "returned" them the next day for a full refund. I thought that was horrible. But I never reported it.

BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
The primal urge term is such a good one. There is nothing anyone can do when I see someone hurting, getting hurt or being bullied. Something inside of me takes over.

I have just as strong side though when I see a person taking advantage of someone and they will talk a good talk, but really, it's just them taking something from someone else and I'll have no part of it.

I thought it was interesting you posted in the inspiration forum "What will you do" and this show caused me to post "What would you do" because it is so inspirational.

I have had situations but it usually took awhile for me to do it, but if there was a long term situation where the person became empowered by taking from others and getting more and more confident to up the ante basically, I first said something to them and if that didn't do anything then I took it to a different level.

I prefer to avoid those situations myself and try to keep my eye on the more positive things.

One situation I can think of where I did take action was when I was working as an RA and the girls in charge of the houses had a situation going where they were taking the residents cards that had EBT and SS on them and spending those cards while they took the residents to Walmart, on themselves.

Sadly it was free money to them but the resident really didn't have a voice to do anything about it and I was there,so I did.

Last edited by Eleise - Clairvoyance; 09/10/10 10:25 PM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Good for you, Elleise! I'm glad you defended the residents' rights.

I guess it is easier for us to step up to the plate when there is a person being victimized.

When people steal from a store, they are stealing from the business owner who is a person. But he/she is faceless to us so we can let things slip by.

BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Well that incident I posted about was one of my more harder. It cost me my job, my car was keyed every night I remained - I worked nights...so I'd go in at 9:00 pm and leave approximately 6:00 am.

Those girls didnt' take it lightly and I remember having to report my car on a body incident report...it was really pathetic. But I felt strongly about it.

I'm polish and I remember saying something under my breath one night. I said, Dabje pani-ey?? I don't know how to spell it, but my grandmother would say it. It kept me sane.

Anyway, one of the residents was listed as mentally retarted, so the good end of this story is that when I said that as my car was getting more and more scratches - he heard me and hugged me out of the blue. His name was Joe. He kept saying that over and over and over. I finally said, you're Polish aren't you?

I went to the board, and said his records were wrong and I urged them to listen to him. We found his sister, she was living 45 min away.

They didn't treat him like he was retarted anymore, He never had anything but a smile for everyone.

Last edited by Eleise - Clairvoyance; 09/10/10 11:45 PM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Now that shows your strength of character, Elleise. To do the right thing and to pay a price for it.

And what a great story about finding a sister.

And look how much respect he gained from this experience!

Elleise, you are amazing. Thank you for all you do.

Amoeba
Amoeba
hi...................

What Would You Do? was a 30-minute television show hosted by Marc Summers shown on Nickelodeon.
Is a good i liked it too much.
thanks

F
Koala
Koala
F
Originally Posted By: Eleise - Clairvoyance
Well that incident I posted about was one of my more harder. It cost me my job, my car was keyed every night I remained - I worked nights...so I'd go in at 9:00 pm and leave approximately 6:00 am.

Those girls didnt' take it lightly and I remember having to report my car on a body incident report...it was really pathetic. But I felt strongly about it.

I'm polish and I remember saying something under my breath one night. I said, Dabje pani-ey?? I don't know how to spell it, but my grandmother would say it. It kept me sane.

Anyway, one of the residents was listed as mentally retarted, so the good end of this story is that when I said that as my car was getting more and more scratches - he heard me and hugged me out of the blue. His name was Joe. He kept saying that over and over and over. I finally said, you're Polish aren't you?

I went to the board, and said his records were wrong and I urged them to listen to him. We found his sister, she was living 45 min away.

They didn't treat him like he was retarted anymore, He never had anything but a smile for everyone.
That was nice.

Flower
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
It was one of those nice ending situations. I often wonder how he's doing. This was some time ago, well over 10 years.

Turned out Dabdje Panie (sp) meant beautiful maiden. One of the clients at the brokerage firm I worked at used this same phrase.

ODD how things resurface.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site

Moderated by  Elleise - Clairvoyance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.